Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calls for change to UK assisted dying law

Eldorado

“I can take my own life, and force my family into a position where they’re interviewed in a police investigation.

“I could end up locked in my body, with a progressive disease which could leave me incapacitated.

“Or I can travel to a foreign country, while I’m still able to travel, and spend thousands of pounds ending my own life - money I’d rather leave to my children.

“This is not a choice we should have to make."

Full report at ITV UK: https://www.itv.com/news/central/2020-01-14/calls-for-change-to-assisted-dying-law-to-protect-families-who-help-loved-ones-take-their-own-life/

"Dignity in Dying has today launched its Compassion is not a Crime drive, in a bid to highlight the suffering of terminally ill people who would like more control over their deaths, and that of their loved ones, who risk imprisonment if they help them end their lives."

Full article at Eastern Daily Press UK: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/cromer-woman-backs-dignity-in-dying-campaign-1-6463917

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One day we'll see sense and allow this to happen. If someone has had enough and want to check out for the last time. They should be able to. 

• Like 1

Any assisted dying law suggested by a government would need cross party support, if not it could be used by opponents to suggest it was replacing proper treatment and funding for the NHS. Killing folks off instead of paying for costly treatments :rolleyes: 

Desperate opposition parties would have no qualms weaponizing assisted dying numbers as a political point scoring tool and the subject is emotive enough to influence elections.