Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
susieice

Plane Drops Fuel On Schoolyard

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

susieice

At least 20 students at an elementary school have been treated for skin irritations after a plane returning to LAX airport dropped fuel on the playground. Students and staff were in the playground just before noon when the incident happened.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/students-treated-for-skin-irritation-after-apparent-fuel-dump-from-plane-over-school/2290653/

This link says 23 were treated. Seventeen students and six adults. The plane, a Delta Airline Boeing 777, was approaching LAX with mechanical issues. 

https://ktla.com/2020/01/14/lax-bound-aircraft-apparently-drops-fuel-on-elementary-school-in-cudahy-multiple-patients-assessed/

 

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

It is a shame and odd, it usually evaporates before hitting the ground but they may have been low. Still, the alternative is for the plane to become a ball of fire as it all ignites on impact, or crashing from the weight adding to the issues, so really, I would rather treat my kid for the skin issues from a freak thing, than wish the higher risk on the plane and passengers aboard having trouble.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Just now, Not A Rockstar said:

It is a shame and odd, it usually evaporates before hitting the ground but they may have been low. Still, the alternative is for the plane to become a ball of fire as it all ignites on impact, or crashing from the weight adding to the issues, so really, I would rather treat my kid for the skin issues from a freak thing, than wish the higher risk on the plane and passengers aboard having trouble.

That's a good point Rockstar. At first, I couldn't figure out why the plane would drop it's fuel over buildings. That's really an odd thing to do. They probably were low if they were approaching the airport. It doesn't sound like anyone was taken to the hospital for treatment but there probably needs to be a clean up to get rid of the fuel and the smell. I wonder how many nearby buildings were also affected.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

emergency dump, they  dumped where they could, when they could, the plane was landing due to mechanical issue. planes always dump fuel before landing i see them do it over howard beach, far rockaway, all the time on their approach to jfk. but usually they do it high enough so it evaporates, here it was an emergency.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

The KTLA link just changed to seventeen students and nine adults.

Seventeen children and nine adults are being treated after an aircraft approaching LAX dumped fuel on an elementary school playground in Cudahy on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Just now, aztek said:

emergency dump, they  dumped where they could, when they could, the plane was landing due to mechanical issue. planes always dump fuel before landing i see then do it over howard beach, far rockaway, all the time on their approach to jfk. but usually they do it high enough so it evaporates, here it was an emergency.

Yes. At least we also know the plane did land safely.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

It is now being reported as 17 students and 9 adults. ABC LA is calling it a hazmat call. No one was taken to the hospital or evacuated from the area. The plane was returning to LAX shortly after take off. It was probably full of fuel when it had to dump. Haven't seen where it was heading to.

https://abc7.com/26-people-treated-after-plane-dumps-fuel-near-schools/5849623/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

Delta released a statement saying the plane was heading to Shanghai. (That plane was carrying a lot of fuel for that long of a journey) Staff visited all the classrooms to check on students and staff.

https://abc7.com/5849623/

Delta Airlines issued the following statement:
"Shortly after takeoff, Flight 89 from LAX to Shanghai experienced an engine issue requiring the aircraft to return to LAX. The aircraft landed safely after an emergency fuel release to reduce landing weight."

School officials said students and staff were on the playground when they may have been sprayed or inhaled fumes. Paramedics were immediately called and staff members were visiting every classroom to check on students and staff, according the to the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acidhead

VIDEO

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It is a shame and odd, it usually evaporates before hitting the ground but they may have been low. Still, the alternative is for the plane to become a ball of fire as it all ignites on impact, or crashing from the weight adding to the issues, so really, I would rather treat my kid for the skin issues from a freak thing, than wish the higher risk on the plane and passengers aboard having trouble.

Yeah... and, after all, what's a little Kerosene among friends? :w00t:   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
4 minutes ago, and then said:

Yeah... and, after all, what's a little Kerosene among friends? :w00t:   

It's better than a possible fiery crash at a very busy airport, I guess. Won't they need to clean this up? It's spread over a large area. It's not all highly flammable at the moment is it? Or will it all just evaporate and the smell disperse?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
12 minutes ago, susieice said:

It's better than a possible fiery crash at a very busy airport, I guess. Won't they need to clean this up? It's spread over a large area. It's not all highly flammable at the moment is it? Or will it all just evaporate and the smell disperse?

It has probably nearly evaporated already. A good raking and not using it for a day or two would resolve it most likely, but they will probably overdo it and resurface the ground after taking a few layers of it away in hopes to not get sued. 

Someone still will though.

I know, my shadow self is showing...  *wanders off*

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It has probably nearly evaporated already. A good raking and not using it for a day or two would resolve it most likely, but they will probably overdo it and resurface the ground after taking a few layers of it away in hopes to not get sued. 

Someone still will though.

I know, my shadow self is showing...  *wanders off*

I think you're probably right. There was a lot of fuel dumped over a big area. Someone will sue and start it off.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

ABC World News Tonight just said 50 people have been treated and the protocol for dumping fuel in an emergency is being questioned. Will need to watch and see what they say. The picture they showed, that plane was really low while dumping.

edit: They said the drop covered miles and miles of LA. They say about 4 dozen people were triaged. People are asking lots of questions about how bad it has to be before a plane can dump like that over a city. Oh boy :hmm:

Edited by susieice
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

Yeah screw those peeps on the plane, anyway :( 

So sick of victim mentalities.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

CNN is reporting 60 people treated too. There were several schools under the dump path. IMO...the pilots must have felt that the mechanical problem, whatever it was, would not allow time to safely dump over the ocean (which is really close. I've flown out of LAX). They would have been heading that way anyhow if they were flying to Asia. We'll have to wait and see if we find out what went wrong.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/us/jet-fuel-dump-elementary-school-trnd/index.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/111535252/why-do-planes-need-to-dump-fuel-before-an-emergency-landing

 

good explanation of why is here. 

now why the plane was so low and dumped then, depends on specifics we do not know yet, but it HAS to dump weight before it lands, as explained in this article.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
9 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/111535252/why-do-planes-need-to-dump-fuel-before-an-emergency-landing

 

good explanation of why is here. 

now why the plane was so low and dumped then, depends on specifics we do not know yet, but it HAS to dump weight before it lands, as explained in this article.

Thanks. It sounds like that plane was in real trouble and had to dump when it could to get back. Thank goodness it landed safely or this story could have been much worse. 

I know the ocean is very close to LAX but the pilots must have thought they didn't have time to dump there before returning. We don't know what was wrong with the plane.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
7 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/111535252/why-do-planes-need-to-dump-fuel-before-an-emergency-landing

 

good explanation of why is here. 

now why the plane was so low and dumped then, depends on specifics we do not know yet, but it HAS to dump weight before it lands, as explained in this article.

I totally agree Bro, in addition who knows what the long term effects of this incident may have on those effected by it. Unless there was an emergency or a mechanical error that caused the fuel to be dumped there is no excuse for it to have happened.

Peace

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Thanks. It sounds like that plane was in real trouble and had to dump when it could to get back.

Until we know different, this is my first assumption. If it had not dropped weight, it might have crashed instead in that neighborhood. A scene of that scenario is beyond heartbreaking, even worse than a crash by itself.

Not enough info.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
53 minutes ago, susieice said:

ABC World News Tonight just said 50 people have been treated and the protocol for dumping fuel in an emergency is being questioned. Will need to watch and see what they say. The picture they showed, that plane was really low while dumping.

edit: They said the drop covered miles and miles of LA. They say about 4 dozen people were triaged. People are asking lots of questions about how bad it has to be before a plane can dump like that over a city. Oh boy :hmm:

Here's a link that describes fuel dumping procedures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

Peace

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

There are parts of this video where that plane looks like it's barely above treetop level as it's dumping. That's what ABC was showing. If it had just taken off from LAX, it was fully loaded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/01/14/aircraft-dumps-jet-fuel-playground-near-los-angeles-leaving-26-with-minor-injuries/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
5 minutes ago, susieice said:

There are parts of this video where that plane looks like it's barely above treetop level as it's dumping. That's what ABC was showing. If it had just taken off from LAX, it was fully loaded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/01/14/aircraft-dumps-jet-fuel-playground-near-los-angeles-leaving-26-with-minor-injuries/

That explains why they had to dump the fuel, they were to heavy to land after just taking off. Unfortunately this is acceptable according to FAA guidelines, it is Shame that people suffered because they dumped their fuel to get to a safe landing weight, but the consiqences of a plane crash in a populated area could have been much worst, including loss if life.

I think we should just be glad no one was seriously injured, and a major  accident was averted.

Peace.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That explains why they had to dump the fuel, they were to heavy to land after just taking off. Unfortunately this is acceptable according to FAA guidelines, it is Shame that people suffered because they dumped their fuel to get to a safe landing weight, but the consiqences of a plane crash in a populated area could have been much worst, including loss if life.

I think we should just be glad no one was seriously injured, and a major  accident was averted.

Peace.

 

 

 

Agreed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.