Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Merged - Russian government resigns.

L.A.T.1961

What's going on here then ? 

"Dmitry Medvedev has submitted his resignation to president Vladimir Putin. He said the government would be resigning in totality. 

Mr Medvedev claimed to have taken the decision in light of changes proposed by the president in the course of his state-of-the nation address. This set-piece speech proposed a radical constitutional shakeup — one many see as a way to allow Mr Putin to stay on in power when he is forced to leave the presidential post in 2024."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dmitry-medvedev-resign-russia-prime-minister-putin-quit-latest-a9284741.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some more information. 

"After Putin’s proposals, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev declared his government’s resignation, saying he felt this was right to do given Putin’s announcement, according to state news agency Tass.

"After those amendments are adopted — and it was said that this is likely to be done following discussion — there will be significant changes not only to a variety of constitution articles, but to the balance of power, namely to the executive, legislative and judicial branches of power," Medvedev said.

"In this context, it is evident that we, as the government of the Russian Federation, should provide our country’s president with an opportunity to take all the necessary decisions in these conditions."

https://www.politico.eu/article/russian-government-resigns-after-putin-proposes-constitutional-shake-up-vladimir-putin/

It appears to be a coordinated move rather than a rebellion by Medvedev against Putin? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moscow, Russia (CNN)The entire Russian government is resigning, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced Wednesday, after Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping reforms that could extend his decades-long grip on power beyond the end of his presidency.

Putin thanked members of the government for their work but added that "not everything worked out." Putin added that in the near future he would meet with each member of the cabinet. The mass resignation includes Medvedev.

The surprise announcement came after Putin proposed constitutional amendments that would strengthen the powers of the prime minister and parliament at the expense of the presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/europe/russian-government-resigns-vladimir-putin-reforms-intl/index.html

• Like 2

It's already here, Spartan, but there's not many poltiicos keen on discussing it by the looks of things.

• Thanks 2

Dictator Putin on the rise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

It's already here, Spartan, but there's not many poltiicos keen on discussing it by the looks of things.

I just assumed it was a foregone conclusion that he'd do the same thing Xi has done.  Frankly, I'm surprised it took him this long.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I just saw this in the news today, I haven't had the time to fully look at this yet but this is an interesting development that makes this a historical event. How this is going to affect the Russia and the world in general is really thought provoking. I will add more on this topic once I can get more information concerning it. 

Thanks for posting this topic I think it will be interesting to see how this is going to turn out.

Peace

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Merged - Russian government resigns.
5 hours ago, and then said:

I just assumed it was a foregone conclusion that he'd do the same thing Xi has done.  Frankly, I'm surprised it took him this long.

Democracy is taking a backward step. In Russia's case more of a sideways step. the age of the statesman just got superseded with the dictators for life. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I just saw this in the news today, I haven't had the time to fully look at this yet but this is an interesting development that makes this a historical event. How this is going to affect the Russia and the world in general is really thought provoking. I will add more on this topic once I can get more information concerning it. 

Thanks for posting this topic I think it will be interesting to see how this is going to turn out.

Peace

Well nothing really changes other than Putin's actions making Trump very jealous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Democracy is taking a backward step. In Russia's case more of a sideways step. the age of the statesman just got superseded with the dictators for life. 

You know how you see your kids friend start smoking and you start to get a little nervous about the influence?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

You know how you see your kids friend start smoking and you start to get a little nervous about the influence?

Yes i know that feeling all to well. In this case, Putin isn't even pretending to be democratic anymore. Some countries do well with democracy and others do better without. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Peace

looks like legitimising a power grab to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

looks like legitimising a power grab to me. 

That could be it, from what I know Putin has never be happy since the USSR folded. I beleive that he wants things to go back to the way they were. Which also makes me think he is preparing to challenge NATO, and to try and regain all the territory that was lost at the end of the Cold War. Which makes me beleive that War clouds are starting to form over parts of Europe. I guess what I am saying is that I really believe he plans on going to war, and the people who resigned don't want to go down that road, so they are getting the hell out of dodge before the crap breaks lose. 

I know many people will not agree with my comments, but time will tell who is right.

Peace Bro.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That could be it, from what I know Putin has never be happy since the USSR folded. I beleive that he wants things to go back to the way they were. Which also makes me think he is preparing to challenge NATO, and to try and regain all the territory that was lost at the end of the Cold War. Which makes me beleive that War clouds are starting to form over parts of Europe. I guess what I am saying is that I really believe he plans on going to war, and the people who resigned don't want to go down that road, so they are getting the hell out of dodge before the crap breaks lose. 

I know many people will not agree with my comments, but time will tell who is right.

Peace Bro.

Maybe you're right and Putin is looking to regain the glory of the Soviet Union. i personally think that Yeltsin and his democratic ways destroyed the Soviet Union and Putin will not repeat the same mistake. If i was a Russian patriot id want Putin in charge and to hell with democracy. A new generation of world leaders are seeing his success and trying to emulate him. But no one wants war or even a cold war, So lets hope that Putin continues to go about his goals with his current asymmetrical methods of small wars with proxies and rigging foreign elections. Much better than real wars. 

What???

A man can't abdicate powers to an office he'll soon be holding without it being a power grab?

Yeah, actually, looks like a power grab. And likely, as in Venezuela, he'll get away with it.

BUT... On the plus side Facebook made a ton of money posting pro-Putin troll site links. (Kidding...)

• Like 1

There appears to be an attempt by Putin to spin this shake up as a response to public concerns ? While its main purpose is allow Putin to control the Russian state from another office in the Kremlin. 

There might also be a hope that a new political system in Russia will allow better relations with the west and others without taking responsibility for previous actions ? 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

What's going on here then ? 

"Dmitry Medvedev has submitted his resignation to president Vladimir Putin. He said the government would be resigning in totality. 

Mr Medvedev claimed to have taken the decision in light of changes proposed by the president in the course of his state-of-the nation address. This set-piece speech proposed a radical constitutional shakeup — one many see as a way to allow Mr Putin to stay on in power when he is forced to leave the presidential post in 2024."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dmitry-medvedev-resign-russia-prime-minister-putin-quit-latest-a9284741.html

They haven't resigned in disgust, they have resigned so that the appropriate changes can be made to the constitution.

I think 2 term limits are nonsensical because when a president is popular (as Putin is) he shouldn't have to do 2 terms as president, 1 as prime minster, 2 terms as president, and then back to prime minister which is what he is currently facing.

Its not a move towards dictatorship as the office of president is still an elected position, its just the removal of the sequential term limit. I think Trump should do the same as he could be about for 20 years.

• Confused 1

Latest:

"Mikhail Mishustin confirmed as Russian prime minister amid questions over property portfolio"

"Mikhail Mishustin, 53, was voted in as Russia media and opposition politicians raised questions about his lavish property and his wife’s income."

UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/16/russian-parliament-approves-new-prime-ministermikhail-mishustin/

Yay!  Another fat crook joins the "elite".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

They haven't resigned in disgust, they have resigned so that the appropriate changes can be made to the constitution.

I think 2 term limits are nonsensical because when a president is popular (as Putin is) he shouldn't have to do 2 terms as president, 1 as prime minster, 2 terms as president, and then back to prime minister which is what he is currently facing.

Its not a move towards dictatorship as the office of president is still an elected position, its just the removal of the sequential term limit. I think Trump should do the same as he could be about for 20 years.

Ideologies can be carried on by successors.

There is no reason for one person to do more then two terms. Doing more then two terms is just about ego and power - nonething more. 

All across the world we see dictators eliminate constitutional term limits on their path to consolidating power. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

There is no reason for one person to do more then two terms. Doing more then two terms is just about ego and power - nonething more. 

All across the world we see dictators eliminate constitutional term limits on their path to consolidating power. 

Longer periods in office are not necessarily a bad thing as long as there is a democratic voting system, one that is not rigged by the incumbent leader. There is no sign of a free election process in Russia and no way of removing Putin via the ballot box. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

A move towards dictatorship would be Putin granting himself law making powers without the consent of their Parliament.

This isn't what is happening, he is calling for a national referendum to allow presidents to remain in office for as long as they continue to win elections. The Prime Minister and Cabinet have resigned to allow him to make the changes allowing a referendum that are needed.

All presidents should be allowed to stand for re-election regardless of how long they have been in office. If the people vote for him again, then there is nothing dictatorial about it. In the UK we have a monarch performing our head of state functions. Is our current queen a dictator? No, because Parliament holds law making ability. She can only block laws (to prevent tyranny arising), she cannot create them.

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

A move towards dictatorship would be Putin granting himself law making powers without the consent of their Parliament.

This isn't what is happening, he is calling for a national referendum to allow presidents to remain in office for as long as they continue to win elections. The Prime Minister and Cabinet have resigned to allow him to make the changes allowing a referendum that are needed.

All presidents should be allowed to stand for re-election regardless of how long they have been in office. If the people vote for him again, then there is nothing dictatorial about it. In the UK we have a monarch performing our head of state functions. Is our current queen a dictator? No, because Parliament holds law making ability. She can only block laws (to prevent tyranny arising), she cannot create them.

Whereas the Russian parliament can effectively do neither and the Russian people can effectively elect no-one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

NOBODY is that valuable.  People need to change and move on.  We don't need constipated government.

• Like 2