Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Big foot encounter in 1966

Karl05301

Thanks for telling your story. :) A lot of people have had similar encounters over the years, but most of them are hesitant to tell their stories because they are afraid of what people might say.

Edited by Ultimatium

Very cool story thanks for the share!

7 hours ago, Ultimatium said:

Thanks for telling your story. :) A lot of people have had similar encounters over the years, but most of them are hesitant to tell their stories because they are afraid of what people might say.

No problem, and thanks for your feedback. I usually don’t do any kind of social media due to hecklers and trolls. But since I have retired I really don’t care about what some dimwit jabs at me. I just don’t respond.

My uncle was a Nez Perce Indian and loved his hound hunting exploits. I went on several hunts with him. I have seen his hounds tear into 500 pound Bear without hesitation and the same for MT. Lions. But when they would freak out and run back to the truck we knew we better leave the area.

To see fearless hounds tuck tail and cower would scare the crap out of me. I would think “ Oh hell, it’s got to be a big one”. I gave up that kind of hunting back in 1978. It seemed that as time went on it was getting harder to find areas that didn’t make the hounds so jumpy.

Never did actually get a full on look at those big fellows. But I sure heard them break off tree limbs and bash stuff around to let you know you better leave. So we did!

• Like 1

I find stories like this especially interesting. Our elders knew those forests well, I must admit I am a sceptic to the existence of bigfoot but something out there was scaring those dogs...

16 hours ago, Karl05301 said:

I have kept this story under my hat most of my life. Only telling it to a few. Now it’s out there.

Welcome to UM Karl.  Good story.   My brother in law lives just a few miles from the location you describe, and I used to live near Estacada.  Sorry about your dog. I've lost a couple of critters to lions and coyotes, never a dog though. 

I have known dog hunters that went after lions and bears in that area before it became illegal.  There are plenty there.

If you still follow Oregon news, you might have seen that wolverines have been spotted a few times recently in the Cascades.  They seem to be making a comeback.  Your place would have been right up nestled near the foot of Mt. Hood I guess.   

I wonder how dogs would react to that strange scent?  I think wolverines are the closest thing we have to honey badgers in the US.  I know they are strong and fearless.  If they smell like the couple of ferrets I have had, they could be pretty stinky too.

Just a possibility I thought I'd throw out there.  Course I've known a log truck driver and a watchman on a  logging landing  that swear they saw something else. Both of them between where you used to live and my old place near Estacada.

23 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Welcome to UM Karl.  Good story.   My brother in law lives just a few miles from the location you describe, and I used to live near Estacada.  Sorry about your dog. I've lost a couple of critters to lions and coyotes, never a dog though. 

I have known dog hunters that went after lions and bears in that area before it became illegal.  There are plenty there.

If you still follow Oregon news, you might have seen that wolverines have been spotted a few times recently in the Cascades.  They seem to be making a comeback.  Your place would have been right up nestled near the foot of Mt. Hood I guess.   

I wonder how dogs would react to that strange scent?  I think wolverines are the closest thing we have to honey badgers in the US.  I know they are strong and fearless.  If they smell like the couple of ferrets I have had, they could be pretty stinky too.

Just a possibility I thought I'd throw out there.  Course I've known a log truck driver and a watchman on a  logging landing  that swear they saw something else. Both of them between where you used to live and my old place near Estacada.

I lived in Estacada my Senior year in high school. Graduate in 71 from there. 4 people I knew personally disappeared right out of that area in 69’ & 70’ never to be found. Bet you never hear that on the news. Spent many a hunting season up around Timothy lake. Little Crater is pretty. Deep sucker crystal blue. But with all that logging during the early 70’s it’s not the same anymore. Same with the Clackamas River. Used to be crystal clear when I was a kid. And when the Chinook ran you couldn’t see the bottom of it. 4 and 5 footers back then. But one thing for certain, nothing ever stays the same. Too many people in Oregon now. That’s why I moved to Vermont. It’s like what Oregon used to be. Although there are no giant evergreens here. But hey, we got lots of maple syrup!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, butterflygirl1 said:

I find stories like this especially interesting. Our elders knew those forests well, I must admit I am a sceptic to the existence of bigfoot but something out there was scaring those dogs...

I’m a born sceptic and have to literally see something for my self before I commit. Even with the noise, scared dogs, and munched critter remains. Until I see it, I remain on the fence. Too many possibles.

you say “our elders”. Are you First Nations too?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Karl05301 said:

I lived in Estacada my Senior year in high school. Graduate in 71 from there. 4 people I knew personally disappeared right out of that area in 69’ & 70’ never to be found. Bet you never hear that on the news. Spent many a hunting season up around Timothy lake. Little Crater is pretty. Deep sucker crystal blue. But with all that logging during the early 70’s it’s not the same anymore. Same with the Clackamas River. Used to be crystal clear when I was a kid. And when the Chinook ran you couldn’t see the bottom of it. 4 and 5 footers back then. But one thing for certain, nothing ever stays the same. Too many people in Oregon now. That’s why I moved to Vermont. It’s like what Oregon used to be. Although there are no giant evergreens here. But hey, we got lots of maple syrup!

Good for you.  I am really glad to hear about Vermont, and you are right Oregon is not what it used to be.  I moved up from Texas in 1972 and fell in love with the state.  I spent the first 8 years working out of Estacada, mostly around the Fish Creek area if you remember that, then down to Eugene Springfield for another seven years working for Weyerhaeuser before I left wood products..

My boss when I worked in Cottage Grove 1984 went bow hunting and never came back.   There was a lady in the front office who lost her husband the same way rifle hunting about 1987.   In both cases they found their rigs where they had left them, but search parties never found them.  You would think they would have been within a couple of miles, and likely uphill.  Nobody wants to pack a deer much further especially from downhill.  You are right too, it doesn't make much of a splash in the news, just for the people that knew them.

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Good for you.  I am really glad to hear about Vermont, and you are right Oregon is not what it used to be.  I moved up from Texas in 1972 and fell in love with the state.  I spent the first 8 years working out of Estacada, mostly around the Fish Creek area if you remember that, then down to Eugene Springfield for another seven years working for Weyerhaeuser before I left wood products..

My boss when I worked in Cottage Grove 1984 went bow hunting and never came back.   There was a lady in the front office who lost her husband the same way rifle hunting about 1987.   In both cases they found their rigs where they had left them, but search parties never found them.  You would think they would have been within a couple of miles, and likely uphill.  Nobody wants to pack a deer much further especially from downhill.  You are right too, it doesn't make much of a splash in the news, just for the people that knew them.

Boy I hear you. Yep, spent a lot of time up by fish creek. My brother spent his whole adult life in Estacada. He died a few months back. You ever check out the David Palites missing 411 YouTube stuff. I have. Read a few of his books too. Hell I’m afraid to go out in the woods alone anymore. Too many people going missing. A lot of folks have gone missing without a trace where I’m living now. Crazy stuff I tell you. Hey, one thing great about here. Open or concealed carry without a permit in this state. Just like the good ol’ days.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing :)

4 hours ago, Karl05301 said:

I’m a born sceptic and have to literally see something for my self before I commit. Even with the noise, scared dogs, and munched critter remains. Until I see it, I remain on the fence. Too many possibles.

you say “our elders”. Are you First Nations too?

I have the same mindset. Not knowing exactly what might cause a strange series of events is what keeps me interested in these sorts of things!

Yes but I am not full blood, only 1/4 (the minimum BQ for my nation). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karl05301 said:

Boy I hear you. Yep, spent a lot of time up by fish creek. My brother spent his whole adult life in Estacada. He died a few months back. You ever check out the David Palites missing 411 YouTube stuff. I have. Read a few of his books too. Hell I’m afraid to go out in the woods alone anymore. Too many people going missing. A lot of folks have gone missing without a trace where I’m living now. Crazy stuff I tell you. Hey, one thing great about here. Open or concealed carry without a permit in this state. Just like the good ol’ days.

Yeah, I'll tell you what  I am a lot more worried about humans than anything else.  Packing a handgun these days is more about the psycho life than the wildlife.  

Nothing to do with bigfoot, but I think some people get shot on purpose.  I was standing next to a coworker and our pickup on a logging road.   Two shots hit the road in the 20 feet between us and the rig, We ducked and yelled, couldn't see anybody, nobody answered.  A saw filer I knew was out with his brother and neice.  They were standing on the top of a bald hill in plain sight when she fell over dead.  Got struck by a round from out of nowhere. Too many crazies out there.  Best of luck to you.  Stick around.

Interesting story, thank you for sharing it.  

My perspective is that where you were living at the time there were only four species of known animal that would eat your dog.  People, coyote, black bear, and cougar.  All of those species except for people would have eaten that dog.  It is possible it was crushed by a vehicle, if there wide enough roads.  But if it were pure dense bush...that would be unlikely.  

So, the animal was killed but not eaten.  That is unusual in the animal world, unless it were by human accident. As I see it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I raised goats and always had to have protection for them from predators.   One morning I went to the goat pen and found something had gotten to some of them.   Your description of how some of your animals were found was very similar to how some of mine were found.   I walked outside of my pen and saw what looked like very large cat tracks in the sand.  Anything is possible but it sounds like the work of a big cat that got your animals.   Whatever got mine had big teeth and was strong.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:16 AM, Karl05301 said:

I have kept this story under my hat most of my life. Only telling it to a few. Now it’s out there.

I've already checked the back door to make sure its locked !

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone could write a fake story like this.  Sounds like something you would write in freshman Writing 101.

• Confused 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, Karl05301 said:

The farm behind us lost a yearling white face bull. Something tore the back hind quarters right off of it and left the front half. And several others lost dogs and cats.

I live in a rural area in Iowa. Last fall, on the footpath that I maintain on my property, I found a fawn that had been perfectly sliced in half, as though it had been cut through with a chainsaw. Only the back half was there.

I see plenty of animal carcasses, but that was the first one I’ve seen in that condition. I don’t know what could’ve caused it.

Edited by simplybill

2 hours ago, simplybill said:

I live in a rural area in Iowa. Last fall, on the footpath that I maintain on my property, I found a fawn that had been perfectly sliced in half, as though it had been cut through with a chainsaw. Only the back half was there.

I see plenty of animal carcasses, but that was the first one I’ve seen in that condition. I don’t know what could’ve caused it.

I don't know is a perfectly good answer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Resume said:

I don't know is a perfectly good answer.

Haha- That goes quite well with your Eric Idle quote!