Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texan Dog-Hare

pb.kapre

Note: This is an experience a friend of mine had. I will answer in accordance to his answers.

This witness took place at a bayou near Galveston, Texas. For those who don’t know, it’s just between the city of Houston and the Mexican Gulf. 

The creature was about knee high to waist length. From my friend Jim’s description, it looked like it had the body of a black lab and the head of a rabbit(brownish-blackish). We’ve ruled out stray Flemish giants and most droopy eared big dogs. 

Any information and suggestions are welcomed.

—Kapre

Edited by pb.kapre
tags and description

I didn't see it but there are some crazy looking cross bred dogs they use for pig hunting here in Oz.I've seen some with ears like a French bulldog.I think they do a lot of pigging in Texas,so could just be a feral hunting dog.Welcome to the forum kapre.

Edited by openozy

Probably just the American military doing genetic experiments. Like those old card games you used to get, placing a head on a different body and different legs and make up a composite. I wouldn't put it past the military types, some of them are sickos.

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

Probably just the American military doing genetic experiments. Like those old card games you used to get, placing a head on a different body and different legs and make up a composite. I wouldn't put it past the military types, some of them are sickos.

Excellent investigation skills there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was raised in Southeast Texas and suspect that what you are describing may be what we called a swamp-jack. Most of the rabbits you see are cotton tails but in the swamp you will sometimes find much bigger Jack Rabbits. I have never seem one as big as a lab but they are a lot bigger than a cotton tail rabbit. They are actually hares.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DanL said:

I was raised in Southeast Texas and suspect that what you are describing may be what we called a swamp-jack. Most of the rabbits you see are cotton tails but in the swamp you will sometimes find much bigger Jack Rabbits. I have never seem one as big as a lab but they are a lot bigger than a cotton tail rabbit. They are actually hares.

You mean something like this?

220px-Btjackrabbit.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-tailed_jackrabbit

• Thanks 1

Hares are kinda weird, especially if they get muddy and wet because then they look anything but like a hare! This might explain your sighting, although if this is the case then your friend must have been severely mistaken about its size.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It was a jakelope, that is the creature from Texas, but I agree with Xeno, it was probably what most of us call a jack rabbit in the south west.

As the above poster noted it was a black jackalope.  Next.

Edited by tortugabob