Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Strange objects orbiting black hole

Eldorado

"The supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way, is always up to something unusual. Now, astronomers have spotted strange new objects close by — and they aren't quite sure what they are.

"Using 13 years worth of data from the W.M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii, astronomers were able to identify a new class of objects extremely close to the black hole, Sagittarius A*. According to a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature, the six objects, named G1 through G6, appear to be interacting with the black hole.

""These objects look like gas and behave like stars," co-author Andrea Ghez said in a statement. "

Full monty at CBS: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supermassive-black-hole-milky-way-galaxy-strange-objects-gas-stars-discovered-orbiting-sagittarius-a/

At Live Science with link to the full research article: https://www.livescience.com/milky-way-black-hole-merges-binary-stars.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

DreadLordAvatar

The orbits of these G objects are absolutely fascinating, what a mess.  Perhaps some have collided with one another and formed massive G, only time will tell but unlikely will know in our lifetime.

• Like 3

Jujo-jo

Quoted: "It's possible that many of the stars we've been watching and not understanding may be the end product of mergers that are calm now."

I find that paragraph a bit interesting. 

• Like 1

qxcontinuum

I am starting to believe that our planet is like a piece of rice sitting on a sidewalk during the rush hour. We are lucky to still exist after so much time.

• Like 2

Junior Chubb

The enigmatic G spot!

Crikey
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:13 AM, qxcontinuum said:

I am starting to believe that our planet is like a piece of rice sitting on a sidewalk during the rush hour. We are lucky to still exist after so much time.

Yay, it's been sailing through space for billions of years but is still going strong despite being completely exposed and open to space, taking countless meteor hits and cosmic radiation etc..:D

"God hangs the earth on nothing" (Job 26:7)

hangs-earth_zpsd890daaa.jpg~original

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'Walt' E. Kurtz

It must be my lost socks