Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sepsis a bigger killer than cancer worldwide

Eldorado

"Sepsis is now a bigger killer than cancer, with more than double the number of deaths worldwide than previously estimated, a global study suggests.

"One person every three seconds dies from the condition worldwide, a charity said in response to the research, which suggests sepsis accounts for almost a fifth of global deaths.

"The researchers’ Global Burden Of Disease Report (GBDR) on sepsis estimates there were 48.9 million cases in 2017, and 11 million deaths, across 195 countries and territories.

"A World Health Organisation report found an estimated 9.6 million people died from cancer in 2018."

Full report at the Irish Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/sepsis-bigger-killer-than-cancer-worldwide-study-suggests-1.4142745

And at Sky UK: https://news.sky.com/story/sepsis-is-bigger-killer-than-three-types-of-cancer-combined-study-11910168

"Global, regional, and national sepsis incidence and mortality, 1990–2017: analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study"

At HealthData dot org: http://www.healthdata.org/research-article/global-regional-and-national-sepsis-incidence-and-mortality-1990–2017-analysis

• Like 4

sepsis used to be called or lumped in with blood poisoning / septicaemia. we seem to have switched to calling it sepsis about five years ago why? now we have it as some sort of new killer. 

The symptoms of a Sepsis are not always common known and may be different. Two years ago my mother felt bad but not in fashion that it was alarming to her. She was deeply tired, slept the whole day and interrupted my phone calls by saying "I cannot talk any more". I had the impression that she has changed her behaviour somehow, she was a kind of another person. Because of that I called an emergency physician, against her will BTW, and after a short investigation by the doctors she was taken to the clinic for further investigation. A Sepsis was diagnosed and she was taken to the intensive care unit because she was in mortal danger. I took 3 days to investigate for the pathogen, she was given highly effective antibiotics during her in total 3 week hospital stay. After she was released from the hospital it took additional 3-4 month before she was back to normal. So, keep your eyes open and be alerted when someone has symptoms as described.

EDIT: the Sepsis was caused by an unnoticed urinary tract infection

Edited by toast
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, toast said:

The symptoms of a Sepsis are not always common known and may be different. Two years ago my mother felt bad but not in fashion that it was alarming to her. She was deeply tired, slept the whole day and interrupted my phone calls by saying "I cannot talk any more". I had the impression that she has changed her behaviour somehow, she was a kind of another person. Because of that I called an emergency physician, against her will BTW, and after a short investigation by the doctors she was taken to the clinic for further investigation. A Sepsis was diagnosed and she was taken to the intensive care unit because she was in mortal danger. I took 3 days to investigate for the pathogen, she was given highly effective antibiotics during her in total 3 week hospital stay. After she was released from the hospital it took additional 3-4 month before she was back to normal. So, keep your eyes open and be alerted when someone has symptoms as described.

EDIT: the Sepsis was caused by an unnoticed urinary tract infection

My father had a blood infection as well back early September last year...he never recovered unfortunately and we buried him in early December.

Like your mother...he became very 'tired'.  Then fell down and couldn't even lift himself up.  His sepsis was from an open wound on his arm that went unnoticed and untreated.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, joc said:

My father had a blood infection as well back early September last year...he never recovered unfortunately and we buried him in early December.

Like your mother...he became very 'tired'.  Then fell down and couldn't even lift himself up.  His sepsis was from an open wound on his arm that went unnoticed and untreated.

Condolences.

I lost my mother to an unknown sepsis and kidney failure last June.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Condolences.

I lost my mother to an unknown sepsis and kidney failure last June.

Condolences to you as well.

Before that happened I had only associated Sepsis with people who had like, way to many piercings.  I was talking to a customer just the other day who was telling me about his father who also died of a blood infection. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, joc said:

My condolences, joc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a simple selulitis turns into sepsis if left untreated.   i had it once, from a neglected popped zit infection spread pretty fast, i had to go to ER and get 2 bags of antibiotics and an IV, and then take 3 pills of antibiotic a day for a week

Edited by aztek
  • Sad 1