Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

UM-Bot

I am not overly impressed by this Panpsychism of Goff although it is a step in the right direction from the materialist viewpoint.

Advaita Vedanta philosophy, which I ultimately find the most believable, tells us this mysterious consciousness is something fundamental. And the universe is then a thought-form/play/drama of Consciousness/God/Brahman. Ultimately then matter is a thought of God/Brahman. What is that? We are back to another fundamental mystery; 'What is matter?'.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Advaita Vedanta philosophy, which I ultimately find the most believable, tells us this mysterious consciousness is something fundamental. And the universe is then a thought-form/play/drama of Consciousness/God/Brahman. Ultimately then matter is a thought of God/Brahman. What is that? We are back to another fundamental mystery; 'What is matter?'.

Ultimately we are back to the fundamental mystery of...Where did this 'Consciousness' you speak of originate?

Wait...am I right in interpreting this article that Mr. Goff proposes that inorganic matter has a form of consciousness? Like dirt? Or a fake gold bracelet?

19 minutes ago, joc said:

Ultimately we are back to the fundamental mystery of...Where did this 'Consciousness' you speak of originate?

I agree. That is a mystery we can’t get behind. And probably even the word ‘originate’ is not appropriate to something eternal in our time conception.

• Like 2

Crackpots abound. I'm starting to lose faith in the scientific community if this nonsense keeps up. Already lost faith in metaphysics. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Wait...am I right in interpreting this article that Mr. Goff proposes that inorganic matter has a form of consciousness? Like dirt? Or a fake gold bracelet?

That's why you can never find your car keys. They decided to up and move on their own.

(edit) Toy Story was based on true events.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

From the article:   “...a fundamental feature of the universe that pervades throughout the cosmos.”

The idea of “pervasive” consciousness is a biblical concept also, ranging in Nature from great to small:

”The heavens declare the glory of God;  And the firmament shows His handiwork.  Psalm 19:1

He replied, “If they kept quiet, the stones along the road would burst into cheers!”  Luke 19:40

“All You have made will give You thanks, O Lord...”   Psalm 145:10

• Like 4

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's why you can never find your car keys. They decided to up and move on their own.

Everyone knows it's the Blue Men....

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, joc said:

Everyone knows it's the Blue Men....

I'm busy listening to the rocks in my yard. I'll get back to you later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm busy listening to the rocks in my yard. I'll get back to you later.

The boulder by my koi pond says to tell them hello.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Consciousness is awareness primarily, right? So, the oak tree is somewhat aware though it’s hard to see it. What is awareness other than the ability of our environment to cause change in us? Perhaps we go deeper in our observations than plants and animals, perhaps they go deeper than completely inanimate “things”. Perhaps the rock is so set on being a rock that it requires immense pressure or temperature for the rock to become aware it must change. Perhaps the rock is filled with the supreme consciousness and it is being told it is to be a rock constantly-much like code would work.

can we oppose the changes our environment causes, sure we can. But what if we didn’t? But since we can, what do we say to ourselves that manipulates not only our world view but our own capabilities down to the very  core of our being-that’s just another worthless opinion holding only the power we give it through repetition and unfavorable feedback?

the tree does not make a sound if it falls in the forest with no one there to hear it, nor would it fall. What’s the point unless it can be observed? I think all is always observed, the original big brother in every particle around us passing information back in a never ending endless loop of what some perceive as a series of unfortunate events, and others actively taking part in the beauty of creation unfolding.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wes83 said:

Consciousness is awareness primarily, right? So, the oak tree is somewhat aware though it’s hard to see it. What is awareness other than the ability of our environment to cause change in us? Perhaps we go deeper in our observations than plants and animals, perhaps they go deeper than completely inanimate “things”. Perhaps the rock is so set on being a rock that it requires immense pressure or temperature for the rock to become aware it must change. Perhaps the rock is filled with the supreme consciousness and it is being told it is to be a rock constantly-much like code would work.

can we oppose the changes our environment causes, sure we can. But what if we didn’t? But since we can, what do we say to ourselves that manipulates not only our world view but our own capabilities down to the very  core of our being-that’s just another worthless opinion holding only the power we give it through repetition and unfavorable feedback?

the tree does not make a sound if it falls in the forest with no one there to hear it, nor would it fall. What’s the point unless it can be observed? I think all is always observed, the original big brother in every particle around us passing information back in a never ending endless loop of what some perceive as a series of unfortunate events, and others actively taking part in the beauty of creation unfolding.

Please illustrate how a rock is conscious.  Nevermind...on second though...please don't.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, joc said:

Please illustrate how a rock is conscious.  Nevermind...on second though...please don't.

Thanks for the break, my word salad shooter was getting dull

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

'What is matter?'.

It is something that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is something that doesn't matter.

As a matter of fact... Matters matter!  And matter matters! What's the matter with you? As though that even matters?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, joc said:

As a matter of fact... Matters matter!  And matter matters! What's the matter with you? As though that even matters?

I agree !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The question of exactly what consciousness is has puzzled philosophers and scientists alike for millennia.

This is a natural part of our evolution, and it can't be stopped!

And it shouldn't be stopped either!

• Like 2

It's all mind over matter. I don't hear that expression much these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iridescence said:

Wrong. We can't materialize things out of our minds. Mind is shaped by matter, it cannot transcend it.

You sound very sure. My feeling is that people who are very sure about such nebulous matters, and often not as sure as they seem.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, iridescence said:

Can you materialize things with your mind? Or feel and think without body and brain? Mind is brain made of matter. I hope you don't think we are ghosts interacting with each other.

Certainly we ought to be conservative and say we know of no other mechanism, but not knowing is not the same as there being nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's geocentricism.

I would say yes.

I would also suggest that the Ether is intelligent, living and conscious and that our brains actually filter this all pervasive Spirit into manageable pieces. That our thoughts, intentions and emotions etc, reach-out into this eternalness, and via the particular chemistry and neurological pathways and connections in our brains, receive information. The bigger the brain, the greater the capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would say yes.

I would also suggest that the Ether is intelligent, living and conscious and that our brains actually filter this all pervasive Spirit into manageable pieces. That our thoughts, intentions and emotions etc, reach-out into this eternalness, and via the particular chemistry and neurological pathways and connections in our brains, receive information. The bigger the brain, the greater the capacity.

The size of the brain has very little to do with it! :D

But the truth will win in the end.

It can't be stopped!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked