Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'll put it a different way, we as a species are a cancer to this world. 

As a species we are in a unique position of authority because we have capabilities that no other animal has.

With greatness there comes a heavy responsibility.

Unfortunately, too many folk don't care enough to commit to help realise this authority and responsibility, and so the world is in the state it is today. 

Do you care enough to make a difference?

After all, even cancer can be beaten, I know, I've done it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

As a species we are in a unique position of authority because we have capabilities that no other animal has.

With greatness there comes a heavy responsibility.

Unfortunately, too many folk don't care enough to commit to help realise this authority and responsibility, and so the world is in the state it is today. 

Do you care enough to make a difference?

After all, even cancer can be beaten, I know, I've done it.

Let the world burn. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, joc said:

We don't grasp them out of thin air.  We think.  It is the Neo cortex that gives us the ability to 'think'.  There is no Ethereal Plane.  That actually is all nonsense. Where is that Ethereal Plane?  What is it made out of ...ether?  pffft   What is the measurement of the the Ethereal Plane.  It's complete utter nonsense as has already been mentioned.

Inspiration comes..........get ready for it.........FROM.........the NeoCortex in our brains.  It's how we can conceptualize God and things 'out of thin air'.  The lack of neurons in the elephants cortex is what keeps it doing tricks for peanuts.  

It is our Brains CH...our brains...completely and totally...our brains because they evolved that way and the elephant brain didn't.

Everybody has a Neocortex - not everyone can play the guitar like Jimi Hendrix.

To suggest its only our brains doing all the work is utter nonsense.

Its much more complex.

And cut out the sarcasm.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its much more complex.

And cut out the sarcasm.

Argument from incredulity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would say yes.

I'd say where is the evidence.

5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would also suggest that the Ether is intelligent, living and conscious and that our brains actually filter this all pervasive Spirit into manageable pieces. That our thoughts, intentions and emotions etc, reach-out into this eternalness, and via the particular chemistry and neurological pathways and connections in our brains, receive information. The bigger the brain, the greater the capacity.

Ether isn't intelligent and aether doesn't exist.

It's so typical and ignorant to assign human attributes to the universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, there is sufficient evidence in physics for mind having primacy.

But we dont know if the universe is one mind, one mind decentralised into many minds, or many minds unconnected to each other.

I’m leaning towards you’re second option that leans into your first, just from my own thinking-nothing to back me up and maybe I’m an idiot. Oh well.

• Like 2

This is actually a very interesting topic. I was hoping for some relevant and thoughtful discussion from this group when I clicked on it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its much more complex.

And cut out the sarcasm.

Here is just a tiny bit of sarcasm (not really) it is in fact at the heart of your argument.  When is the next Hendrix concert?   No Hendrix brain = no Hendrix.

What actually inspires anyone to do anything?  If inspiration, desire, the emotions are not products of the brain then where exactly does it come from?

I ask you again...where exactly is the Ethereal Plane?  What exactly is it besides a conceptualized thought of the human brain?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, joc said:

Here is just a tiny bit of sarcasm (not really) it is in fact at the heart of your argument.  When is the next Hendrix concert?   No Hendrix brain = no Hendrix.

What actually inspires anyone to do anything?  If inspiration, desire, the emotions are not products of the brain then where exactly does it come from?

I ask you again...where exactly is the Ethereal Plane?  What exactly is it besides a conceptualized thought of the human brain?

That last sentence pretty much sums up everything you will ever interact with physically or even figuratively. None of us will see anything in the same manner nor will we experience the very same happening in the same way..

some see a chair, others a pile of wood, others just look at it in wonder

8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes I said the bigger the brain, the greater the capacity - In conjunction with thoughts, emotion and intentions, free will and human self awareness, neurological pathways and connections to receive this Universal Consciousness, AKA Spirt, and a particular brain chemistry as well. As well as the idea of the brain being a filter. 

You didn't say human self awareness. You just added that on now. 

If it makes the difference here, why do the other factors matter? Of course whales elephants and dolphins don't have human self awareness, only humans can logically have that, but the have all the other attributes in abundance, more than we. So why do those factors matter if human self awareness is the critical aspect?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LightAngel said:

You are projecting your own fears and nonsense here.

No I'm not. I can back up what I'm saying with linked examples if need be 

You are acting like a child who doesn't understand consciousness, and therefore call it bad names because of your ignorance!

That's an unfair and silly comment. I have indeed linked to the paper on the attention schema theory, several times, to say that consiouness is a complete mystery to science is simply not true.

Consciousness is most likely an extensive complex set of evolved responses that have developed over billions of years. It's a sensible well thought out and supported theory that is as simply elegant as evolution turned out to be. Are you familiar with it?

If anybody actually wants to discuss this then PM me - I'm outta here.

Hit and run posts are like thrown mud and running away. If you deny that the above is correct, I suggest you support that accusation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Humanity is the greatest, creative lifeform on the planet, for better or for worse. 

Anyway, our ability to grasp such profound ideas and concepts out of thin-air is something unique. 

Its my opinion/idea that our particular intentions, thoughts and feelings, along with a particular brain chemistry, pre-formed neurological pathways and connections, all help with this grasping of new ideas and concepts. A calm heart and mind also help - we put the idea/notion, out-there, and we find inspiration. The size of the brain is only one aspect within a very complex equation.

Talking about inspiration, where does that come from if not the ether? 

Have you ever considered a good close look at anthropology?

The way man developed and came to be what we are today is a fascinating walk through history. If you really do like learning, I have no doubt you would find that long road from Australapithicinces to modern humans is an astounding and astonishing journey. 

And you would have a good view of both sides, which can only be a good thing right?

Think about it. How can all those survival experiences not contribute to consiouness?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

psyche, you got to be smarter at reasoning than that. We are dealing with complex mysteries. Can you possibly think that when you link just the things you like that that settles the matter for the rest of us? 

That's beside the point isn't it?

I don't care about your personal view. It's not rational, logical or even sensible. I've illustrated that you aren't conversant in the beliefs you claim to be expert in, and you have shown us all that you are not a man of your word, welching on that bet.

You claimed that consciousness is a complete mystery to science. As I pointed out, that is simply not true. It is not a mystery to science, science has very good explanations in that very area. And you are indeed well aware of this as I have given you direct links to the paper itself.

You like to think that it is a mystery to all including science. That is your opinion and I didn't comment on that. As I can't speak for your views (or welching on your word) you most certainly cannot speak for science. You are after all an enemy of reason. I protest your comment that it is a complete mystery to science. That's horse hockey.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Everything is Energy.   Consciousness is Energy.    Matter is configurations of Energy.   

Time is an illusion.       ...space might even be an illusion?     I know no one will buy that one...but I just like to think.        The only thing I Know exists is Energy.     Where did space/time come from?   Yup, ENERGY .     Where did Energy come from?     That is the question.   ...but, "come from" is ,undoubtedly, the wrong question!      ? ?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Humanity is an evolutionary mistake that needs desperately to go extinct.

Even one of these would do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLRZP40ZvZ9Z325T0dTUF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'll put it a different way, we as a species are a cancer to this world. 

There’s a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven’t Thought of It Yet.

I'm the new cancer.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its much more complex.

And cut out the sarcasm.

Billions of neuroconnections none the same, all shaped by experience and genetics 

Your really saying that such complexity cannot result in some incredible mental diversity?

Why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lightly said:

Everything is Energy.   Consciousness is Energy.    Matter is configurations of Energy.   

That's a pretty wide range comment. It doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying everything that is here now, is here now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wes83 said:

That last sentence pretty much sums up everything you will ever interact with physically or even figuratively. None of us will see anything in the same manner nor will we experience the very same happening in the same way..

some see a chair, others a pile of wood, others just look at it in wonder

It doesn't really matter though...if you see a chair it is wood...it consists of  verifiable matter.  Wonder...isn't a thing that can be measured or attributed to anything except thought process in the brain.  It really doesn't matter what anyone else sees...it is a chair.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Argument from incredulity.

You are right.

To suggest that inspiration, intuition, and insight, all come the neocortex is clearly incredulous.

If that were so, we would all be nothing but automatons, churning out the exact same material, all the time.

Clearly intuition and inspiration are born outside of the self.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Let the world burn. 

And that's your answer to everything?

Allow untold suffering and pain to consume all life on planet Earth. All the life that never did any harm to anything!

What an utterly disgusting and pathetic response.

And shame on everybody who agreed with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I'd say where is the evidence.

Ether isn't intelligent and aether doesn't exist.

It's so typical and ignorant to assign human attributes to the universe.

You are the utterly ignorant one, its not that the Universe has human qualities, but that Humanity has universal qualities.

As above, so below.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, iridescence said:

It's not only brains. It's also genes and lifetime experiences. What does any of this have to do with ether?

So inspiration is genetic too?

Thanks for pointing out, and agreeing with me, that its not all from the brain. Cheers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I think, therefore I am...

I am, therefore I think.....

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked