Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

UM-Bot

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

NDE's

Only today we have all kinds of technology, not just a pair of bellows..

We can measure the sleep/dream state, we know what part of the brain alights with certain thoughts, yet nothing can measure these fantastic visons/hallucinations  - strange that? 

Perhaps you have a video clip that humorously explains why that is?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Only today we have all kinds of technology, not just a pair of bellows..

We can measure the sleep/dream state, we know what part of the brain alights with certain thoughts, yet nothing can measure these fantastic visons/hallucinations  - strange that? 

Perhaps you have a video clip that humorously explains why that is?

The video is humorous, but it illustrates one important point.  There is a big difference between mostly dead and completely dead.

What are these fantastic visions you are referring to?    Strange?  What is strange?  Is it strange or even unexpected that we do not yet know everything about ourselves or the universe?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

How can it be confirmation bias?

This experiment had never been done before, they, the scientists, were breaking new ground and were surprised at the results concerning the introduction of human DNA.

Actually there were 3 experiments in the video. The first two Gregg linked together that made your 1) 2) 3), and a third experiment as an interesting add-on.

So Poponin confirmed those first two points, but, 3) was from another experiment, which is also in the video.

So yeah, you were wrong!

Not Poppin. Braden. He is over reaching the result. 

Again, how does the phantom effect suggest the morphic field (which is a term he ripped off from Sheldrake isn't it?) actually exists? He has strung those two together without any representation and the field disappears after a month. Are you suggesting that an afterlife lasts for one month?

Braden doesn't approach these rather large holes in his claims.

You are not concerned at all of what Braden is saying is true going by your posts. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

The video is humorous, but it illustrates one important point.  There is a big difference between mostly dead and completely dead.

What are these fantastic visions you are referring to?    Strange?  What is strange?  Is it strange or even unexpected that we do not yet know everything about ourselves or the universe?

That's very true.

Yet according to science, and the doctors and nurses, some of these NDErs are in fact dead.

And the fact that we have the technology to know exactly what is going on in the dream/sleep state, and which parts of the brain light up with particular thoughts, yet when someone sees the light, experiences feelings of love and joy never felt on Earth, sees extraordinary vistas, colours and beings. The fact that none of this "brain activity" can be detected, to me is strange.

And no, it isn't strange that we don't know everything about ourselves, it is only strange that folks like you ignore this whole new realm of human experience, whilst at the same time proclaiming, that it isn't strange that we don't know everything about ourselves!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Not Poppin. Braden. He is over reaching the result. 

Again, how does the phantom effect suggest the morphic field (which is a term he ripped off from Sheldrake isn't it?) actually exists? He has strung those two together without any representation and the field disappears after a month. Are you suggesting that an afterlife lasts for one month?

Braden doesn't approach these rather large holes in his claims.

You are not concerned at all of what Braden is saying is true going by your posts. 

Neither Branden nor Poponin calls it the morphic field, that would be me, Pop-on-in simply calls it a "new field". I actually prefer the term ether, but hay, give it a name!!!

How does this suggest that this field exists? By introducing human DNA into a vacuum with random photons, then watching the photons become ordered.

And the field doesn't disappear after a month, the weak effect of the DNA, (the phantom effect) that has now been taken away, has diminished.

Why don't you tell me in your own words, what is actually happening here with those two experiments, not what isn't happening, but what is happening? I would be interested in hearing your opinions about this, especially the second experiment concerning human emotion effecting our DNA - thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

And no, it isn't strange that we don't know everything about ourselves, it is only strange that folks like you ignore this whole new realm of human experience, whilst at the same time proclaiming, that it isn't strange that we don't know everything about ourselves!

I don't ignore it.  It has a hold on my interest and my curiosity for personal reasons.  I have had experiences that are hard to explain with everyday knowledge.  What I don't know is if  my interactions have been with an entity outside myself that knew more than I am consciously aware of or.if it was another portion of my brain. Either way it is extraordinary to know there is more to us that we tap in our everyday lives. 

Until more evidence presents itself, I will ve conservative and assume the messages were coming for a portion of my brain.

At this point Medicine Horse   we do not know if the tunnel of light and the meeting of old friends and relatives is a phenomena completely within our dying (but not yet dead) brain or an external reality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I don't ignore it.  It has a hold on my interest and my curiosity for personal reasons.  I have had experiences that are hard to explain with everyday knowledge.  What I don't know is if  my interactions have been with an entity outside myself that knew more than I am consciously aware of or.if it was another portion of my brain. Either way it is extraordinary to know there is more to us that we tap in our everyday lives. 

Until more evidence presents itself, I will ve conservative and assume the messages were coming for a portion of my brain.

At this point Medicine Horse   we do not know if the tunnel of light and the meeting of old friends and relatives is a phenomena completely within our dying (but not yet dead) brain or an external reality.

Fair enough...

I cant really argue with that, you have an open mind towards these things and that is good enough in my book.

But, there is the question of a small minority of experiencers, whether they were dead or not is immaterial on this point, who have come back with information, that they didn't, or couldn't have known before!

Any ideas as to how this might happen?

And if you want to share your experiences, then I would be very interested to hear them!

Medicine Horse lol...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Neither Branden nor Poponin calls it the morphic field, that would be me, Pop-on-in simply calls it a "new field". I actually prefer the term ether, but hay, give it a name!!!

Fait enough, however “The Divine Matrix” is the exact same thing isn't it? I can't see the difference, can you?

No Poponin doesn't. He doesn't support that idea as far as I know. 

Ether is fuel. You're referring to aether. That's a failed theory. It's been given due consideration and is found to be lacking. I'm not sure why you cling to it. It does not validate or support the "whatever" field idea.

Call it what you want. It's imaginary, perhaps I shall call it Derick.

How does this suggest that this field exists? By introducing human DNA into a vacuum with random photons, then watching the photons become ordered.

That does not indicate a field. It indicates unobserved properties of DNA.

And the field doesn't disappear after a month, the weak effect of the DNA, (the phantom effect) that has now been taken away, has diminished.

That's all there is!!

That's what you are saying suggests a field to begin with. What suggests it exists beyond the end of the life of the experiment? 

Why don't you tell me in your own words, what is actually happening here with those two experiments, not what isn't happening, but what is happening? I would be interested in hearing your opinions about this, especially the second experiment concerning human emotion effecting our DNA - thanks.

Simply put, DNA has light bending properties. It's an amazing discovery as light actually travels along the DNA. Which really makes sense considering UV rays cause DNA mutations. Nobody expected the opposite to be possible, or for the DNA to direct light along it. I'm pretty sure the original theory was that it goes through DNA smashing it. IMHO, This could be the key to understanding abiogenesis. Emotion regulates chemical flow through the body. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is a complex organic chemical that provides energy to drive many processes in living cells, I'd have to suspect that is the connection to emotion.

That's what I'm getting from the real information outside of Braden's opinion.

But I think we are a fair way of determining what it means exactly. I'm the meantime, people linking it to Braden and Sheldrake are not helping. Making up stuff only slows and convolutes further understanding.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Fait enough, however “The Divine Matrix” is the exact same thing isn't it? I can't see the difference, can you?

I said - give it a name!

No Poponin doesn't. He doesn't support that idea as far as I know. 

I never said he did support this idea, only his experiment does.

Ether is fuel. You're referring to aether. That's a failed theory. It's been given due consideration and is found to be lacking. I'm not sure why you cling to it. It does not validate or support the "whatever" field idea.

Again, a rose by any other name......

Call it what you want. It's imaginary, perhaps I shall call it Derick.

Fine

That does not indicate a field. It indicates unobserved properties of DNA.

So you go with the unobserved, I will go with the observed,

That's all there is!!

Its enough for now, until this "unobserved becomes observable.

That's what you are saying suggests a field to begin with. What suggests it exists beyond the end of the life of the experiment? 

The fact that these experiments are repeatable.

Simply put, DNA has light bending properties. It's an amazing discovery as light actually travels along the DNA. Which really makes sense considering UV rays cause DNA mutations. Nobody expected the opposite to be possible, or for the DNA to direct light along it. I'm pretty sure the original theory was that it goes through DNA smashing it. IMHO, This could be the key to understanding abiogenesis. Emotion regulates chemical flow through the body. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is a complex organic chemical that provides energy to drive many processes in living cells, I'd have to suspect that is the connection to emotion.

That's what I'm getting from the real information outside of Braden's opinion.

But I think we are a fair way of determining what it means exactly. I'm the meantime, people linking it to Braden and Sheldrake are not helping. Making up stuff only slows and convolutes further understanding.

So even if DNA has light bending properties, it still effects these photons, the building blocks of life. And our emotions effect our DNA. That's pretty amazing and worth further consideration.

By all means interpret these findings however you want, I really don't care, its your life, your well being, your future.

As above- so what?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

said - give it a name!

I did I shall call it Derick the imaginary Field.

I never said he did support this idea, only his experiment does.

No it does not. How does it support the field idea exactly in your own words?

Again, a rose by any other name......

If I call my mortgage payment my lunch bill someone is going to notice. It's best we stick to known terms yeah? Just trying to help you out there. 

Fine

Now that I have named it, I can say I've put as much effort into that as Braden did.

So you go with the unobserved, I will go with the observed,

The observed is light traveling along DNA. That's what is observed. Where is the alleged field itself actually observed?

Its enough for now, until this "unobserved becomes observable.

It's not indicating something observed exists though, it's indicating that the phenomenon has a definite decay.

The fact that these experiments are repeatable.

That does not indicate a field. It indicates a finite frame for the experiment. How on earth do you propose that decay indicates continuation? The states are in direct conflict?

So even if DNA has light bending properties, it still effects these photons, the building blocks of life. And our emotions effect our DNA. That's pretty amazing and worth further consideration.

Yes, I've said it's an amazing discovery that surprised many. And it's being investigated further. I'm honestly not sure of the current status but I do know the interpretation that you have provided by others is a far cry from the actual findings. From what I do know, it fits in pretty well with what we do know. It wasn't expected is all. Whch is really cool from a scientific point of view.

By all means interpret these findings however you want, I really don't care, its your life, your well being, your future.

I'm interpreting them as Poponin did. 

Not as Braden did. With all due respect, I fail to see fault in that approach. 

As above- so what?

Did you want discuss this or what? There are major flaws with Braden and Sheldrakes colourful interpretations. Are you interested in discussing them, or following them blindly?

• Like 2

The observed is light traveling along DNA. That's what is observed. Where is the alleged field itself actually observed?

No, the observation was how the DNA changed the photons in the sense that they became ordered from a random starting point.

That does not indicate a field. It indicates a finite frame for the experiment. How on earth do you propose that decay indicates continuation? The states are in direct conflict?

The DNA reorganises the photons, they are not connected, therefore the energy must travel along a field, to get from one place to another. The effect decayed over time because the DNA was taken away. That tells me that it is the DNAs influence, and not the field itself, that fades.

28 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

No, the observation was how the DNA changed the photons in the sense that they became ordered from a random starting point.

From the claims I read, the did not change them, they directed them like fibre optic cable would.

28 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The DNA reorganises the photons, they are not connected, therefore the energy must travel along a field, to get from one place to another. The effect decayed over time because the DNA was taken away. That tells me that it is the DNAs influence, and not the field itself, that fades.

It also disapeared and allegedly reappeared as gasses were introduced, indicating residual DNA. not a field

And you do realise I am picking holes in what is really an anecdote don't you? It's an alleged claim by a scientist. There are no peer reviewed papers meaning of hasn't actually been repeated or performed on demand. People have just said that happened. Braden is exaggerating heavily. Rlyeh knew that, why do you think he was asking for papers? They don't exist. You cannot produce them 

Do toy even know what DNA was supposedly used? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, psyche101 said:

From the claims I read, the did not change them, they directed them like fibre optic cable would.

It also disapeared and allegedly reappeared as gasses were introduced, indicating residual DNA. not a field

And you do realise I am picking holes in what is really an anecdote don't you? It's an alleged claim by a scientist. There are no peer reviewed papers meaning of hasn't actually been repeated or performed on demand. People have just said that happened. Braden is exaggerating heavily. Rlyeh knew that, why do you think he was asking for papers? They don't exist. You cannot produce them 

Do toy even know what DNA was supposedly used? 

The change in the photons was from random, (something the scientists expected) to ordered, (something unexpected). Something I've mentioned about a million times already!

This "new field" as Poponin called it, is the same field that allows the meditations of peace to expand outwards, effecting the surrounding area. Apparently it is the square root of 1% of the population needed to affect a change in the behaviour of that same population. In any event, these meditations were statistically proven by John Hagelin beyond all scientific requirements to affect a change towards greater peace. Which in itself has the potential to change all life of planet Earth.

And we should really ask the question, if your statement was true, as to why this experiment (Poponin) wasn't repeated? Something so important, something so fundamental - maybe because mainstream materialistic science would have to review everything they thought they knew?

I thought it was human DNA, but it doesn't really matter. If it was the DNA of a slug, that to me would make it even more amazing!

For anyone who missed my previous posting...

It demonstrates who these feelings of peace radiate outwards...

Something only possible, in my opinion, if there is a field to carry them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

The change in the photons was from random, (something the scientists expected) to ordered, (something unexpected). Something I've mentioned about a million times already!

And how would you exclude molecular bonding? Attraction properties brought on by spin? 

Essentially negating the field idea?

Have you applied any critical thinking to these rather wild claims, or accepted them at face value? 

This "new field" as Poponin called it, is the same field that allows the meditations of peace to expand outwards, effecting the surrounding area. Apparently it is the square root of 1% of the population needed to affect a change in the behaviour of that same population. In any event, these meditations were statistically proven by John Hagelin beyond all scientific requirements to affect a change towards greater peace. Which in itself has the potential to change all life of planet Earth.

Well that's just silly. Meditation is entirely contained in the brain. Even certain muscles can develop from that constant use. That's effect from the cause, direct evidence. You're making stuff up to fit in with your preconceptions. Emotional aspects affecting DNA, if true and actually proven, are most likely a chemical change. That's how the body operates, on chemicals. 

And we should really ask the question, if your statement was true, as to why this experiment (Poponin) wasn't repeated? Something so important, something so fundamental - maybe because mainstream materialistic science would have to review everything they thought they knew?

That is also not only really silly but disproved by the historical precedent of Phlogiston. 

If the experiment wasn't repeated it's more likely that means the entire claim is a huge steaming pile of horse hockey. If it really happened and has such ground breaking implications, it would be the top subject in every major academic institution on the planet. Making that claim just shows what a stranger to science you really are. 

I thought it was human DNA, but it doesn't really matter. If it was the DNA of a slug, that to me would make it even more amazing!

You don't seem to care about details at all, and focus on the grandiose claims.

Do you net see the massive flaws in adopting that approach?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShUN63Hq2Lzcj4tK34YoQ

For anyone who missed my previous posting...

It demonstrates who these feelings of peace radiate outwards...

Something only possible, in my opinion, if there is a field to carry them.

The benefits of group therapy and the "share the load" syndromes account for this.

• Thanks 2

But what exactly is consciousness ? Is it something that our brains produce or can it exist outside of complex, highly-evolved forms of life ? Could consciousness be inherent to all matter ?

It must potentially exist in all matter. After all, our brains are made of matter. It must be inherent to the universe in some way also, simply because it manifests in the universe. 

Seems a stretch to claim that basic particles have a form of conscious "experience" though. It's a result of a functioning brain as far as we know, when these "basic particles" combine to form a nervous system. Though it's very possible that machines will have it and know that they exist in the not too distant future IMO.

• Like 1

Here is a NDE from a guy called Richard Kelley.

If you haven't heard of him before you are in for a treat with this extraordinary testimony.

He covers a lot of ground. His NDE, the effect it had on him. 

Its a very well put-together interview, and in my opinion, one of the most powerful NDEs I have every had the good fortune to listen to.

I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Here is a NDE from a guy called Richard Kelley.

If you haven't heard of him before you are in for a treat with this extraordinary testimony.

He covers a lot of ground. His NDE, the effect it had on him. 

Its a very well put-together interview, and in my opinion, one of the most powerful NDEs I have every had the good fortune to listen to.

I hope you enjoy it.

It's somebody's interpretation of the death process. Such stories are dime a dozen. 

You take such interpretations as realistic confirmed explanations of events. That's confirmation bias. 

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It's somebody's interpretation of the death process. Such stories are dime a dozen. 

You take such interpretations as realistic confirmed explanations of events. That's confirmation bias. 

Yes, these experiences are very common.

8 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes, these experiences are very common.

That does not indicate any way validate the conclusions of life after death. All that actually shows is that it's a somewhat common experience mostly reflecting the individuals culture.

You don't seem interested in discussing the actual event only cultural ideologies. It's like you don't want to know the real situation, only what old stories appeal to you 

Just now, psyche101 said:

That does not indicate any way validate the conclusions of life after death. All that actually shows is that it's a somewhat common experience mostly reflecting the individuals culture.

You don't seem interested in discussing the actual event only cultural ideologies. It's like you don't want to know the real situation, only what old stories appeal to you 

Its a personal testimony. Anyone can take it any way they please. I am only putting something that I find extraordinary, out-there, make of it what you will.

You are free to believe what you want, and I sincerely hope that it makes you happy, healthy, and loved.

I am also allowed to believe what I want. Correct?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its a personal testimony. Anyone can take it any way they please. I am only putting something that I find extraordinary, out-there, make of it what you will.

You are free to believe what you want, and I sincerely hope that it makes you happy, healthy, and loved.

I am also allowed to believe what I want. Correct?

Of course, I just feel you should be more up front and state that what you believe is just that. A belief. It is refuted by science but you believe so anyway not because it is supported in any way, but the stories appeal to you more so than the facts that refute your chosen belief. I don't think you should state afterlife beliefs as realistic possibilities when you refuse to acknowledge the facts that refute the superstition. Afterlife stories are just that. Stories. They have no practical application here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Of course, I just feel you should be more up front and state that what you believe is just that. A belief. It is refuted by science but you believe so anyway not because it is supported in any way, but the stories appeal to you more so than the facts that refute your chosen belief. I don't think you should state afterlife beliefs as realistic possibilities when you refuse to acknowledge the facts that refute the superstition. Afterlife stories are just that. Stories. They have no practical application here.

It is a belief.

But you are wrong to say they have no practical application.

My over-all belief system, is one of unity, of kindness, compassion and friendship, of karma and an afterlife -and of reincarnation. These beliefs mean that I try to be a good, decent, helpful human being, And because I am sincerely trying, I actually succeed every now and then, and it is this success that actually fuels my beliefs. 

I know the amazing benefits of such a life, and believe me, life can get pretty amazing at times, like mind blown amazing!

If you can get to this same point from a different world view, then I am very happy for you. Because the more kindness in the world, the less we all suffer.

Something I feel is very practical.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

It is a belief.

But you are wrong to say they have no practical application.

My over-all belief system, is one of unity, of kindness, compassion and friendship, of karma and an afterlife -and of reincarnation. These beliefs mean that I try to be a good, decent, helpful human being, And because I am sincerely trying, I actually succeed every now and then, and it is this success that actually fuels my beliefs. 

I know the amazing benefits of such a life, and believe me, life can get pretty amazing at times, like mind blown amazing!

If you can get to this same point from a different world view, then I am very happy for you. Because the more kindness in the world, the less we all suffer.

Something I feel is very practical.

I try to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. That doesn't mean that people will not mistake kindness for weakness and take advantage of the situation. I don't try to please some deity, I don't help others because I might get an afterlife. I do things to help people when people need help. The satisfaction of actually making a difference is more than enough.

I don't think one needs a belief to do the right thing. Lots of creeps prey on the hurt and grieving for personal gain using these stories of hope. Science does not work like that. It doesn't fleece the lost and take from the grieving. The above superstitions you have listed foster and sell false hope and empty promises. To me, that's much worse than nothing at all. Your style of beliefs open the gates for con men and charletons which is irresponsible and overall a menace to the community. 

Most new age people preaching what you are interested in, I find are just getting something for themselves, under the guise of philanthropy.

• Thanks 1

A belief. It is refuted by science

In reality, not even commented on by science, which has no way of testing it. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I try to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. That doesn't mean that people will not mistake kindness for weakness and take advantage of the situation. I don't try to please some deity, I don't help others because I might get an afterlife. I do things to help people when people need help. The satisfaction of actually making a difference is more than enough.

I don't think one needs a belief to do the right thing. Lots of creeps prey on the hurt and grieving for personal gain using these stories of hope. Science does not work like that. It doesn't fleece the lost and take from the grieving. The above superstitions you have listed foster and sell false hope and empty promises. To me, that's much worse than nothing at all. Your style of beliefs open the gates for con men and charletons which is irresponsible and overall a menace to the community. 

Most new age people preaching what you are interested in, I find are just getting something for themselves, under the guise of philanthropy.

I do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, I am not thinking about the afterlife, in fact, I rather enjoy just helping out. You are right, it is very satisfying.

And there is absolutely nothing false about genuine love, compassion, and kindness. if on the other hand, they are only a façade, an attempt to fleece someone, then obviously they are not the real deal, they are in fact lies, deceitful and bogus. And that's the problem right there. 

Love is not the problem here, but the lack of love.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked