Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

706 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

psyche101
21 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would say yes.

I would say your making stuff up.

21 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would also suggest that the Ether is intelligent, living and conscious and that our brains actually filter this all pervasive Spirit into manageable pieces.

WTF?

Ether is CH3–CH2–O–CH2–CH3

21 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That our thoughts, intentions and emotions etc, reach-out into this eternalness, and via the particular chemistry and neurological pathways and connections in our brains, receive information. The bigger the brain, the greater the capacity.

So sperm whales, elephants and dolphins receive the most information?

What?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
2 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

The size of the brain has very little to do with it! :D

We who take large hat sizes disagree !

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I would say your making stuff up.

WTF?

Ether is CH3–CH2–O–CH2–CH3

So sperm whales, elephants and dolphins receive the most information?

What?

Do sperm whales, elephants and dolphins have a self awareness and free will the same as a human being? When a sperm whale sets foot on the moon, get back to me.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Do sperm whales, elephants and dolphins have a self awareness and free will the same as a human being? When a sperm whale sets foot on the moon, get back to me.

Why?

You said, and I quote:

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

That our thoughts, intentions and emotions etc, reach-out into this eternalness, and via the particular chemistry and neurological pathways and connections in our brains, receive information. The bigger the brain, the greater the capacity.

Whales vs human

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGzvKbwCUFrJqrYO1hgbb

Human elephant dolphin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPYDb3F5tBxzzyjm7Q4Iv

 

The largest brains are those of sperm whales, weighing about 8 kg (18 lb). An elephant's brain weighs just over 5 kg (11 lb), a bottlenose dolphin's 1.5 to 1.7 kg (3.3 to 3.7 lb), whereas a human brain is around 1.3 to 1.5 kg (2.9 to 3.3 lb).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_size

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

 

The size of the brain has very little to do with it! :D

But the truth will win in the end.

It can't be stopped!

The truth is.......

 

I am Iron Man.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Now I know why it rains, mother nature is depressed. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
13 hours ago, Wes83 said:

Consciousness is awareness primarily, right? So, the oak tree is somewhat aware though it’s hard to see it. What is awareness other than the ability of our environment to cause change in us? Perhaps we go deeper in our observations than plants and animals, perhaps they go deeper than completely inanimate “things”. Perhaps the rock is so set on being a rock that it requires immense pressure or temperature for the rock to become aware it must change. Perhaps the rock is filled with the supreme consciousness and it is being told it is to be a rock constantly-much like code would work.

can we oppose the changes our environment causes, sure we can. But what if we didn’t? But since we can, what do we say to ourselves that manipulates not only our world view but our own capabilities down to the very  core of our being-that’s just another worthless opinion holding only the power we give it through repetition and unfavorable feedback?

the tree does not make a sound if it falls in the forest with no one there to hear it, nor would it fall. What’s the point unless it can be observed? I think all is always observed, the original big brother in every particle around us passing information back in a never ending endless loop of what some perceive as a series of unfortunate events, and others actively taking part in the beauty of creation unfolding.

 

Yes, there is sufficient evidence in physics for mind having primacy.

But we dont know if the universe is one mind, one mind decentralised into many minds, or many minds unconnected to each other.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
Just now, XenoFish said:

Now I know why it rains, mother nature is depressed. 

It's raining here right now!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
19 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I agree. That is a mystery we can’t get behind. And probably even the word ‘originate’ is not appropriate to something eternal in our time conception.

No it's not. You know that is not true too. I've linked you to the paper on the attention schema theory several times. That refutes your claims and imaginative concepts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
13 hours ago, Wes83 said:

Consciousness is awareness primarily, right? So, the oak tree is somewhat aware though it’s hard to see it. What is awareness other than the ability of our environment to cause change in us? Perhaps we go deeper in our observations than plants and animals, perhaps they go deeper than completely inanimate “things”. Perhaps the rock is so set on being a rock that it requires immense pressure or temperature for the rock to become aware it must change. Perhaps the rock is filled with the supreme consciousness and it is being told it is to be a rock constantly-much like code would work.

A tree doesn't have consiouness. It has instinct. Leaves grow toward the subject because that's how that structure works. It doesn't think, oh, it's a lovely day, I'll just turn this way a bit.... It follows the sins pattern because that's how it survives. That's it's function.

13 hours ago, Wes83 said:

can we oppose the changes our environment causes, sure we can. But what if we didn’t? But since we can, what do we say to ourselves that manipulates not only our world view but our own capabilities down to the very  core of our being-that’s just another worthless opinion holding only the power we give it through repetition and unfavorable feedback?

the tree does not make a sound if it falls in the forest with no one there to hear it, nor would it fall. What’s the point unless it can be observed? I think all is always observed, the original big brother in every particle around us passing information back in a never ending endless loop of what some perceive as a series of unfortunate events, and others actively taking part in the beauty of creation unfolding.

Why must there be a point? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

It's raining here right now!

I just think all of this "everything is conscious" is pure utter nonsense. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Going to be honest, I have an ever growing contempt for stuff like this. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I just think all of this "everything is conscious" is pure utter nonsense. 

Creative definitely. But I agree, seems like childish self serving nonsense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Going to be honest, I have an ever growing contempt for stuff like this. 

I have a contempt for promotion of such as if fact. IMHO it's akin to lying. Scientology is a good example of that. You can't tell me people like Travolta and Cruise got where they are by being uneducated and stupid enough to believe the Xenu story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Creative definitely. But I agree, seems like childish self serving nonsense.

Whenever I see stuff like this. I'm looking for the book that goes with it. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LightAngel
41 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

seems like childish self serving nonsense.

 

You are projecting your own fears and nonsense here.

You are acting like a child who doesn't understand consciousness, and therefore call it bad names because of your ignorance!

If anybody actually wants to discuss this then PM me - I'm outta here.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Why?

You said, and I quote:

Whales vs human

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGzvKbwCUFrJqrYO1hgbb

Human elephant dolphin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPYDb3F5tBxzzyjm7Q4Iv

 

The largest brains are those of sperm whales, weighing about 8 kg (18 lb). An elephant's brain weighs just over 5 kg (11 lb), a bottlenose dolphin's 1.5 to 1.7 kg (3.3 to 3.7 lb), whereas a human brain is around 1.3 to 1.5 kg (2.9 to 3.3 lb).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_size

Yes I said the bigger the brain, the greater the capacity - In conjunction with thoughts, emotion and intentions, free will and human self awareness, neurological pathways and connections to receive this Universal Consciousness, AKA Spirt, and a particular brain chemistry as well. As well as the idea of the brain being a filter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

A rock doesn't have a brain, the wind doesn't have a brain, air doesn't have a brain. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
39 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes I said the bigger the brain, the greater the capacity - In conjunction with thoughts, emotion and intentions, free will and human self awareness, neurological pathways and connections to receive this Universal Consciousness, AKA Spirt, and a particular brain chemistry as well. As well as the idea of the brain being a filter. 

Well...actually....not so much. :)

The African elephant brain, which is about three times larger than the human brain, contains 257 billion (109) neurons, three times more than the average human brain; however, 97.5% of the neurons in the elephant brain (251 billion) are found in the cerebellum.

In contrast, the elephant cerebral cortex, which has twice the mass of the human cerebral cortex, holds only 5.6 billion neurons, about one third of the number of neurons found in the human cerebral cortex. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
7 minutes ago, joc said:

Well...actually....not so much. :)

The African elephant brain, which is about three times larger than the human brain, contains 257 billion (109) neurons, three times more than the average human brain; however, 97.5% of the neurons in the elephant brain (251 billion) are found in the cerebellum.

In contrast, the elephant cerebral cortex, which has twice the mass of the human cerebral cortex, holds only 5.6 billion neurons, about one third of the number of neurons found in the human cerebral cortex. 
 

Humanity is the greatest, creative lifeform on the planet, for better or for worse. 

Anyway, our ability to grasp such profound ideas and concepts out of thin-air is something unique. 

Its my opinion/idea that our particular intentions, thoughts and feelings, along with a particular brain chemistry, pre-formed neurological pathways and connections, all help with this grasping of new ideas and concepts. A calm heart and mind also help - we put the idea/notion, out-there, and we find inspiration. The size of the brain is only one aspect within a very complex equation.

Talking about inspiration, where does that come from if not the ether? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No it's not. You know that is not true too. I've linked you to the paper on the attention schema theory several times. That refutes your claims and imaginative concepts.

psyche, you got to be smarter at reasoning than that. We are dealing with complex mysteries. Can you possibly think that when you link just the things you like that that settles the matter for the rest of us? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
8 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Humanity is the greatest, creative lifeform on the planet, for better or for worse. 

Anyway, our ability to grasp such profound ideas and concepts out of thin-air is something unique. 

Its my opinion/idea that our particular intentions, thoughts and feelings, along with a particular brain chemistry, pre-formed neurological pathways and connections, all help with this grasping of new ideas and concepts. A calm heart and mind also help - we put the idea/notion, out-there, and we find inspiration. The size of the brain is only one aspect within a very complex equation.

Talking about inspiration, where does that come from if not the ether? 

 

Humanity is an evolutionary mistake that needs desperately to go extinct.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Humanity is an evolutionary mistake that needs desperately to go extinct.

Evolution makes mistakes - really?

If nature turns down a wrong alleyway, so to speak, then very quickly it comes to a dead end, - or it would just keep evolving, shaped by the particular environment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Evolution makes mistakes - really?

If nature turns down a wrong alleyway, so to speak, then very quickly it comes to a dead end, - or it would just keep evolving, shaped by the particular environment.

I'll put it a different way, we as a species are a cancer to this world. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes I said the bigger the brain, the greater the capacity - In conjunction with thoughts, emotion and intentions, free will and human self awareness, neurological pathways and connections to receive this Universal Consciousness, AKA Spirt, and a particular brain chemistry as well. As well as the idea of the brain being a filter. 

 

13 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Humanity is the greatest, creative lifeform on the planet, for better or for worse. 

Anyway, our ability to grasp such profound ideas and concepts out of thin-air is something unique. 

 

Talking about inspiration, where does that come from if not the ether? 

 

We don't grasp them out of thin air.  We think.  It is the Neo cortex that gives us the ability to 'think'.  There is no Ethereal Plane.  That actually is all nonsense. Where is that Ethereal Plane?  What is it made out of ...ether?  pffft   What is the measurement of the the Ethereal Plane.  It's complete utter nonsense as has already been mentioned.

Inspiration comes..........get ready for it.........FROM.........the NeoCortex in our brains.  It's how we can conceptualize God and things 'out of thin air'.  The lack of neurons in the elephants cortex is what keeps it doing tricks for peanuts.  

It is our Brains CH...our brains...completely and totally...our brains because they evolved that way and the elephant brain didn't.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.