Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

UM-Bot

32 minutes ago, joc said:

Why are there 'eternal questions'?

Because having all the answers is boring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

@psyche101 Oh, you're way too verbose.

I think you're not verbose enough. You said you like science, you claim to understand it, and yet it's the one thing you don't approach in this discussion. You're too busy with you're poor me I'm being picked on routine to avoid the real discussion. 

And so angry.

Not angry at all. You're a sook. 

Let me guess: another traumatised one.

Guess again.

My god, is there anyone left in the West who can overcome their traumas? 

How you going with your spiritual security blanket? 

Is there anything worth reading? Copy and paste me that part, please. Because I find your frustrated meltdowns too boring to read.    

So you're lazy and don't understand the science? 

Wouldn't that be easier to say? 

Meanwhile, no sane physicist would suggest their profession gives them any chance to explain the Universe, in the form of final theory, let alone the existence itself, in the form of incontestable dogma. 

And yet there's a video I posted up there if one of the best on the planet at the moment saying just that.

Science does have theories about the current shape of that what we perceive as the Universe, but it doesn't have means yet to theoretize seriously on what was before Big Bang, for example, or is the Big Crunch the real thing. All we've got is logic and intuition, but nothing an ultra-orthodox science could remotely accept as valid proof of anything. 

Have you ever heard of a bloke called Professor Lawrence Krauss? He wrote a paper, books and lectures on the very subject. Brian Greene's work into QM compliments that knowledge nicely. We have very good well supported models of the universe and the virtual particles which through imbalance brought about the conditions for matter to exist out of the particles soup left over from that difference of potential. 

What we don't have is direct observation. 

So the Universe might as well be conscious, or not, and any physicist is as called to ponder about it as any plumber is too. 

The only thing your right about is that a conscious universe is just a wild idea that appeals to some people. Generally people who are enemies of reason, but all the same, a wild idea supported by nothing which is so basic any fool can grasp it. 

You're not right that the universe might as well be conscious. I already asked, and you dodged, what would necessitate a universal consiouness? What would bring it into being? 

But questions like that seem beyond your comprehension, as all you do is dance around them and have a good sook. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Claiming physics has the final answer to the eternal questions = misunderstanding the physics.

Believing physics has means to find answers to the eternal questions = misunderstanding the physics. 

I laid out the basics of the argument in bullet point.

Go right ahead and point out the flaws in the information presented. Tell us where Sean Carroll is misrepresenting science in the previous posted video please. I double dog dare you. 

Mistaking your own opinion for the implied meaning that should be read into the actual theories = misunderstanding the very concept of science. 

Exactly, even worse when you don't understand the science involved as you have proven if yourself.

Attacking people for not accepting your misconceptions = possible psychological problems. 

Indeed, you should seek help with that.

And read a textbook or two.

• Thanks 1

Poor trolls. They're screaming, spitting, writhing... and the Universe keeps being unexplained :lol:  

My last piece of advice for you in this thread: choose a different religion, your misunderstanding of undisputed facts is comical. 

No, wait, on a second thought, keep up your good work. With such obnoxious prophets your religion of misapplied physics is guaranteed to be laughed at even harder.  

• Like 1

Thread closed for moderator review.

• Thanks 3

• The topic was locked