Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could consciousness pervade the universe ?

UM-Bot

15 hours ago, joc said:

Prayer is confirmation bias of sorts.  It feeds the subconscious which feeds the conscious which feeds the subconscious...its all a loop.  We have the power however to change what is being looped from one to the other.  We can actually choose the loop we experience.  

So when an individual prays for another person, sometimes miles apart, and that person then receives the benefit of those prayers, how does that fit into your neat, little loop?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The guy wants to see the world burn, he thinks humanity are a cancer...……..do you really think he gives a flying fig about impressionable minds?

Well, you know, there may be those who really are thinking along those lines, and could be pushed over the edge, whether xenofish actually believes what he says would be irrelevant to that.

7 hours ago, Habitat said:

In the end, that kind of explanation just does not satisfy, nor can any such explanation, couched in "everyday" language.

It does satisfy those with sufficient education to understand it. It's actually not hard to understand at all if one wished to understand. It's up to the nature of the individual I guess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And to think that @Psyche101 is from Australia, a country that has just undergone horrific loss of life and property due to wild fires, really does show how twisted his mind is!

Utterly repugnant.

Yet, karma is real, and the Universal shall have Its say, no doubt.

I sincerely hope he mends his ways before its too late.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDRGe7-IBeH12P8FLaasN

What are the antecedents of "differences of potential" ?

35 minutes ago, Habitat said:

What are the antecedents of "differences of potential" ?

Conditions that cause the difference in potential, be it charge, temp or state

20 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Conditions that cause the difference in potential, be it charge, temp or state

what causes the difference ?

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

what causes the difference ?

Again, Conditions, be it charge, temp or state. They are random factors.

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Again, Conditions, be it charge, temp or state. They are random factors.

The "charge" God ?  Really, I am not seeing the difference. This is a circular argument.

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The "charge" God ?  Really, I am not seeing the difference. This is a circular argument.

Not god, positive and negative.

You don't see the difference because you don't want to. Are you of the impression that God causes lightning? What's the antecedent if not?

Edited by psyche101

17 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Not god, positive and negative.

You don't see the difference because you don't want to. Are you of the impression that God causes lightning? What's the antecedent if not?

Your antecedents are just given as an unexplained pre-existing condition.

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Your antecedents are just given as an unexplained pre-existing condition.

So what, you're saying charges, changes of temp or the current state of said virtual particle aren't real situations? Or are you saying virtual particles don't exist?

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So what, you're saying charges, changes of temp or the current state of said virtual particle aren't real situations? Or are you saying virtual particles don't exist?

None of which is anything other than "no known antecedents:\"

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Well, you know, there may be those who really are thinking along those lines, and could be pushed over the edge, whether xenofish actually believes what he says would be irrelevant to that.

That's very true, yet based on what xenofish has stated in the past, and not just the last couple of days, I can only conclude that he just doesn't care.

Either that or he is lying for some reason!

In any event, its messed-up.

2 minutes ago, iridescence said:

If you think that we're some kind of gods, sorry to disappoint you, but you're wrong.

Well, in the absence of a satisfactory definition of "god", we really can't say much, but if we are a "God", it is certainly a God of destruction as much as anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

So when an individual prays for another person, sometimes miles apart, and that person then receives the benefit of those prayers, how does that fit into your neat, little loop?

What individual?  What other person?  What benefit?   Be specific.

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

None of which is anything other than "no known antecedents:\"

Really?

How are the factors I stated not known and not antecedents? They are random actions that affect everything else in the known universe, why is potential is that excluded?

Forty years ago, it was suggested3 that a mirror undergoing relativistic motion could convert virtual photons into directly observable real photons. The phenomenon, later termed the dynamical Casimir effect4,5, has not been demonstrated previously. Here we observe the dynamical Casimir effect in a superconducting circuit consisting of a coplanar transmission line with a tunable electrical length. The rate of change of the electrical length can be made very fast (a substantial fraction of the speed of light) by modulating the inductance of a superconducting quantum interference device at high frequencies (>10 gigahertz). In addition to observing the creation of real photons, we detect two-mode squeezing in the emitted radiation, which is a signature of the quantum character of the generation process

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10561

Antecedent demonstrated upon demand.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDRGe7-IBeH12P8FLaasN

And we all know what happened to the Joker in the end!!!

The poor misguided soul, thought he could walk around doing and saying whatever he wanted and still walk away scot-free. But as we all know, life just never pans-out like that.

17 hours ago, psyche101 said:

:tu:

No, a difference of potential created an imbalance of virtual particles that resulted in disproportionate amounts of matter and antimatter. They anhiliated each other and the left over from the imbalance is the universe.

A difference in potential that we regularly work with in our everyday lives is electricity. 

Yes ,thanks psyche, that is the predominant theory.   If we are to believe the big bang theory... Before there was matter, or antimatter, for that matter...(no light, nothing we would recognize really).  ..there was only ENERGY, correct? ( the energy which became all forces and things)   Matter formed as the energy cooled. ?  Or so I have heard cosmologists say.   Do you know how long of a period of time passed between the beginning of the "Big Bang" ...and the formation of matter?    

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's very true, yet based on what xenofish has stated in the past, and not just the last couple of days, I can only conclude that he just doesn't care.

Either that or he is lying for some reason!

In any event, its messed-up.

Not really. Do you honestly think humans are worth saving? I see no good coming from our furthered existence. Just more hate, strife, and increasing level of general stupidity. 

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 4:08 PM, UM-Bot said:

The question of exactly what consciousness is has puzzled philosophers and scientists alike for millennia.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/333856/could-consciousness-pervade-the-universe

Bearing in mind reality is not what exists but is merely sensory perception then everything we experience only exists in our minds.

As to whether anything real exists behind those perceptions then philosophers and physicists have been debating that one for a long time. What is known is that for something to be true then it must be true for all people in all situations. And absolutely nothing we have identified is.

We know something weird is going on but are not sure what. This is because while the car driving past you might not be true if it runs you over then its going to really hurt and give you a bad day. It seems that what is real is only real to the person or people experiencing it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not really. Do you honestly think humans are worth saving? I see no good coming from our furthered existence. Just more hate, strife, and increasing level of general stupidity. 

What about the sane and functional ones?

Just because they seem to be avoiding you, doesn't mean they are not there. In fact, majority of people are not cruel or overly stupid. Those who are stick out with their crimes, but an average person is not a drooling moron murderer. Not perfect, certainly, no one is, but I rarely see people who are as deep into psychopathy as you project.   

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Helen of Annoy said:

What about the sane and functional ones?

Just because they seem to be avoiding you, doesn't mean they are not there. In fact, majority of people are not cruel or overly stupid. Those who are stick out with their crimes, but an average person is not a drooling moron murderer. Not perfect, certainly, no one is, but I rarely see people who are as deep into psychopathy as you project.   

Everyone has a demon inside that's just waiting for the right moment. People put on happy exteriors, only to stab you in the back without a moment's notice. Hypocrisy is the norm.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Everyone has a demon inside that's just waiting for the right moment. People put on happy exteriors, only to stab you in the back without a moment's notice. Hypocrisy is the norm.

I'm sorry to hear that's the norm around you, in your own eyes. 

Because that's not the norm around me, in my own eyes. 

Yes, there are hypocrites and psychos everywhere. Majority? No, but they stick out. What's in the news? Another car crash? Well, damn. But does it mean everyone died on their way to work today? 

See? How about you don't generalize waaay too much?  

I do agree with you that everyone has a demon inside. Hell, I've got a whole cohort. But, speaking from my experience, my demons are not waiting for the right moment to do senseless damage. Nope. I don't know why, maybe I was attached faulty demons. Because my demons will rip to pieces only other demons. Never a sentient being. 

You know how we get angry at each other? But I'd never truly hurt you, in the sense of pushing you off the bridge. There are moments I could tell you to go jump off the bridge, to be honest, but I don't do that because I know you'd throw a self-pity party over that. 

So... may I say something... ethnic? Like, something that's very common in my part of the world but it will sound exotic to you? 

Stop being such an old wife. 

All you ever do is complain. Don't just complain and despair, do something. Jump off... Kidding!!! And if you truly think everything's senseless, lost and horrifying, try bearing it like a grown-up, the kids are reading this too. They're supposed to feel secure with us, old farts around, supposed to learn from our example how they can deal with (yes) uncertainty of our existence, not dragged into despair with our constant mourning of life that's not ideal. 

• Like 2

Helen, how many times have you accused me of being a psychopath over the past few day? I know psychopaths. I know what a narcissist is really like. 

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked