Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Authorities gear up for unrest in Richmond

Eldorado

"Pro-gun campaigners are gathering in the US city of Richmond for a rally that the Virginia authorities fear could turn violent.

"State governor Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency ahead of the protest, banning firearms from the area around the Capitol building.

"The Lobby Day rally is an annual event, but several gun-control bills passed in January by the Democrat-led Virginia legislature - in a state where gun rights have historically been permissive - have angered gun owners and activists."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51170252

At Fox: https://www.foxnews.com/us/security-measures-heightened-as-thousands-head-to-richmond-for-large-gun-rights-rally

And the Wall St Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/virginia-officials-on-guard-for-pro-gun-rally-in-richmond-11579516202

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 1

Nary a peep so far :)   Just a tens of thousands of 2A supporters assembling peacefully to make their voices heard.  Many brought the dreaded "assault rifles" with them and have them slung, muzzle down while they walk around.  Many reports of state police snipers on roof tops though :( 

No counter-protesters seen so far.  The march organizers AND the state representatives have made it clear that white supremacists and other agitators are not welcome by ANYONE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Worst place to be if you're thinking of committing a crime and also the worst place to be if you're looking to avoid being shot by accident. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Worst place to be if you're thinking of committing a crime and also the worst place to be if you're looking to avoid being shot by accident. 

Possibly, but if someone starts shooting, it won't be those who came to rally for their rights.  They know better than anyone how counterproductive such actions would be.  In fact, as long as citizens can peacefully assemble and demand changes to unConstitutional law there will be NO NEED for any violence.  I believe that VA will amplify and clarify the choices America has regarding excessive infringement on 2A.  

This is an example that proves the wisdom of the Electoral College, actually.  VA is, in macrocosm, an illustration of the coming struggle to retain Constitutional protections for ALL of the citizens, not just those who live in the major population areas.  Roughly 93% of that state are being ignored due to the impact of heavily populated cities.  Sanctuary movements for 2A are growing daily.  I think Northam and his ilk in the VA statehouse probably shouldn't purchase homes in the capitol.  They won't be staying long enough to justify it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: Only one arrest.

"An estimated 22,000 people attended the demonstration, according to the Virginia Joint Information Center, which says roughly 6,000 people were on Capitol Square and another 16,000 outside the gated barricades.

"Police made only one arrest at the rally — a woman was arrested on a "felony count of wearing a mask in public," according to the state information center.

"An officer arrested 21-year-old Mikaela E. Beschler after twice warning her not to wear a bandanna covering her face."

At NPR: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/20/797895183/richmond-gun-rally-thousands-of-gun-owners-converge-on-virginia-capitol-on-mlk-d?t=1579556709961

• Like 3

What a wonderful, peaceful and lovely state.

4 hours ago, and then said:

Possibly, but if someone starts shooting, it won't be those who came to rally for their rights.  They know better than anyone how counterproductive such actions would be.  In fact, as long as citizens can peacefully assemble and demand changes to unConstitutional law there will be NO NEED for any violence.  I believe that VA will amplify and clarify the choices America has regarding excessive infringement on 2A.  

This is an example that proves the wisdom of the Electoral College, actually.  VA is, in macrocosm, an illustration of the coming struggle to retain Constitutional protections for ALL of the citizens, not just those who live in the major population areas.  Roughly 93% of that state are being ignored due to the impact of heavily populated cities.  Sanctuary movements for 2A are growing daily.  I think Northam and his ilk in the VA statehouse probably shouldn't purchase homes in the capitol.  They won't be staying long enough to justify it.

I sincerely admire your optimism.  I strive to be more like you.=^)

• Like 1

Those damn extremists even picked up the trash that was dropped during the rally! :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

NARRATIVE FAIL: Minorities, LGBT Community, Women Show Up In Force At Pro-Gun Rally

The leftist American mainstream media tried to cast Monday’s pro-Second Amendment rally in Richmond, Virginia, as a white supremacist event that only extremists were planning on attending.

It turned out that entire narrative was widely false.

cont...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/narrative-fail-minorities-lgbt-community-women-show-up-in-force-at-pro-gun-rally

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not one word on the news. Not the evening or the late night. I heard nothing. It is on social media though. Not being posted by a news site. Think any of them are realizing anything. Doubt it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, susieice said:

Not one word on the news. Not the evening or the late night. I heard nothing. It is on social media though. Not being posted by a news site. Think any of them are realizing anything. Doubt it.

I reckon MSM was hoping for riots.

Sad, is it not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I reckon MSM was hoping for riots.

Sad, is it not.

Of course they were. And so were the fringe news sites. Nothing drives ratings and clicks more than a tragedy. 

This is why all news should be non profit and have no advertisers. We will never get the true story from anyone as long as there's money to be made by bending or skewing or even not reporting a story. 

• Like 4

On 1/21/2020 at 12:40 AM, susieice said:

It's because they don't "do" news any longer.  They are just propagandists for the Left.  They are actively anti-American and are attempting to push this nation into conflict.  

5 minutes ago, and then said:

It's because they don't "do" news any longer.  They are just propagandists for the Left.  They are actively anti-American and are attempting to push this nation into conflict.  

Man its almost like youre being fed information to make you angry

CNN: Virginia gun-rights rally concludes peacefully despite earlier fears of extremist violence

.....weird

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

CNN: Virginia gun-rights rally concludes peacefully despite earlier fears of extremist violence

.....weird

I'm supposed to do back flips because the scum at CNN occasionally tell the truth?  You misunderstand me, Farmer.  I'm no longer angry.  I've progressed to focused and determined.  :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm supposed to do back flips because the scum at CNN occasionally tell the truth?  You misunderstand me, Farmer.  I'm no longer angry.  I've progressed to focused and determined.  :tu:

Oh andthen I definitely understand you. Its really easy to once you look at the programming you have undergone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:53 PM, Michelle said:

NARRATIVE FAIL: Minorities, LGBT Community, Women Show Up In Force At Pro-Gun Rally

The leftist American mainstream media tried to cast Monday’s pro-Second Amendment rally in Richmond, Virginia, as a white supremacist event that only extremists were planning on attending.

It turned out that entire narrative was widely false.

cont...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/narrative-fail-minorities-lgbt-community-women-show-up-in-force-at-pro-gun-rally

tumphitlerguns1.jpg.6ee53e45b381b50619251a57cc7e35fd.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

.....weird

It's true that CNN posted a long article about this on their website, @Farmer77 In an obscure area covering Virginia news. Even then, though, they used 'switch and bait' type tactics. For example, halfway through discussing the event, they threw in a snippet that three 'white nationalists' had been arrested for owning a machine gun. This was in Delaware ? Nevertheless, the way the article was written implied some connection to the Virginia rally. 

CNN "bigged up" the rally in advance, with their primary narrative being the likelyhood of trouble. When the event passed on peacefully, they virtually dropped all coverage of it from their on-air output. 

This organisation has been holding rallies since 2003, and all of them have been peaceful. THIS one caused headlines because the State Governor behaved as though he was expecting serious disturbances, and this got the media fanning the flames.  Why did the State Governer do this ? Because - he claims - he had been informed of a "credible threat" by the police. To which I can only say... "perhaps the credibility of these police just went down".