Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magic wands and biblical staff

ocpaul20

I am interested in the origins of these items because many stories of wizards/witches have some kind of wand they use to aid their magic. The Bible has accounts of people like Moses waving their staff at things and they have a 'magical' effect.

Do you think these items are some kind of tool which has an effect on our reality etc. ?

If so, then we should look into how these things were selected and used - or maybe it is just an item used in the story?

What do you think? Is there anything to this?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Pretty much what piney said. They can be a symbol of power and authority as well. 

Just like a Meteinuu's Pip, Iilaa's Club or "Gentleman's" Sword.

In Taoist Majick, which is the same as Chaos Majick, a sword is used in lieu of a wand. 

Edited by Piney
**** Atlantis
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Just like a Meteinuu's Pip, Iilaa's Club or "Gentleman's" Sword.

In Taoist Majick, which is the same as Chaos Majick a sword is used in lieu of a wand. 

In chaos magick you can use a butter knife.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

But make sure you wipe any jam off it first, or you could come to a sticky end ...... :o 

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, Essan said:

But make sure you wipe any jam off it first, or you could come to a sticky end ...... :o 

Blasphemous, thy sacred jam shall cover all. Did not out toast jesus sacrifice himself for our breakfast?!?!?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

In Hoodoo any knife that is iron. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Plastic knives are for the masters. 

I have a whole bag of Play-Do knives from my sister's Montessori School. I should lay them out in a Veve and see if I can bring a Gumby toy alive. :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In point of fact, Moses's staff didn't do very much. It was God who did everything. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

In the fairy tale, Moses's staff didn't do very much. It was God who did everything. 

Fixed it. :sm

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

I am interested in the origins of these items because many stories of wizards/witches have some kind of wand they use to aid their magic. The Bible has accounts of people like Moses waving their staff at things and they have a 'magical' effect.

Do you think these items are some kind of tool which has an effect on our reality etc. ?

If so, then we should look into how these things were selected and used - or maybe it is just an item used in the story?

Pretty much what Piney said; it's a focusing tool.  Egyptology knows of around 100 of these types of wands that date from the Middle Kingdom.  They helped through belief but did not change reality ala Harry Potter, etc.  And, of course, officials and pharaohs carried staves that were emblems of magic/power.  Again, they only "worked' if someone believed that these objects had power and their impact was on the minds of others or the mind of self and not on things like cows and rocks and clouds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I remember seeing somewhere that the “staff that became a snake” was a snake that had been subdued somehow and wrapped around a staff and that Moses had a bigger, angrier snake than the temple priests which is why it ate the other staff snakes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Piney said:

and see if I can bring a Gumby toy alive. :unsure2:

...with an insatiable need to eat human toes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The staff as a symbol is phallic.

Not trying to be a smart aleck.

But the wands of dear Horus

Represent the clitoris,

Except for the fact they're metallic.

Harte

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

What??...My snake is bigger than your snake?

I do not think a small magic wand was grand enough for wizards to be used as a power symbol.

A focus point? Yes, maybe but a finger would have done just as well and would be more portable - you dont forget to take your finger with you anywhere you go. "Damn...I left my wand behind at home. Now I cannot do that magic spell I was going to do."

I just wondered whether the staff (or whatever it was) was the tool which allowed rocks to be levitated or seas to be parted and was not just a piece of wood ?

18 minutes ago, Harte said:

Harte

As official Khan of the Academic Cabal, I'm now banning your Limerictions. They are causing too much harm. :angry:

Several people had to be treated for bleeding from the eyes and ears and Hans tried to commit Death by Bigfoot by punching one of Mt. Shasta's bionic guards in the nuts. :no:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ocpaul20 said:

I just wondered whether the staff (or whatever it was) was the tool which allowed rocks to be levitated or seas to be parted and was not just a piece of wood ?

Only in stories. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

What??...My snake is bigger than your snake?

I do not think a small magic wand was grand enough for wizards to be used as a power symbol.

A focus point? Yes, maybe but a finger would have done just as well and would be more portable - you dont forget to take your finger with you anywhere you go. "Damn...I left my wand behind at home. Now I cannot do that magic spell I was going to do."

The "power" in magick isn't in the tools. It is in the practitioner. The tools are basically symbolic and a prop for engaging in spiritual theatrics. 

Spells are not that much different than affirmations, and I've yet to see any Hollywood special effects. 

The two main skills are the imagination and focus. Willpower is often mentioned but that implies force. And it isn't necessary. Though it can help.

A system of practice is just a model through which you can shape your perception of reality. 

• Like 2

If the occultist wishes to affect/influence other it would be best done through suggestion. At this point morality comes into play. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

As for wands, it is a tool to focus the mind.   The tool is not magic, it is just a focal point.  As for Moses and his staff I am sure that is the same, he probably used it to help him walk and waved it when he got excited. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1