Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magic wands and biblical staff

ocpaul20

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

What??...My snake is bigger than your snake?

I do not think a small magic wand was grand enough for wizards to be used as a power symbol.

A focus point? Yes, maybe but a finger would have done just as well and would be more portable - you dont forget to take your finger with you anywhere you go. "Damn...I left my wand behind at home. Now I cannot do that magic spell I was going to do."

I just wondered whether the staff (or whatever it was) was the tool which allowed rocks to be levitated or seas to be parted and was not just a piece of wood ?

In the staff or the wizard as well?

With white magic I say who can tell?

But we're taken aback

By this wand's attack

The clitoral spell is most fell.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Hans tried to commit Death by Bigfoot by punching one of Mt. Shasta's bionic guards in the nuts. :no:

'Tried'? I think not its new nickname is squeaky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

I am interested in the origins of these items because many stories of wizards/witches have some kind of wand they use to aid their magic. The Bible has accounts of people like Moses waving their staff at things and they have a 'magical' effect.

After translating Skirnirsmal i have made a story. Here is Skirnir trying to force the woman Gerd  (free will) to marry the vane king Frey. He is using his wand. Gerd is actually the Norn Skuld, which means cause or debt. She is also Idunn who is Brage`s wife. Brage is the bear drinking poet in Norse mythology, Lokis worst enemy and creator. Skirnir has a wand and a sword. He speaks:

Woman! Do you see this sword, defectionhunter, misserybringer, that I have in my hand? In front of this sword the old giant will fall, your father will die. I will make you without will, tame you with my wand. Woman! according to my will you will end up where the children of men will never ever see you. In the home of the mighty giants you shall sit forever. With rulers and tyrants, with the warriors of the earth, with those who rule according to their will, you will sit forever. Turned away from your home, you will long for and wish death. Your nourishment will be tears from slave-bound children and it will be intolerable. All people will see you as a gleaming fake worm. You will be an unhappy sight. When you show yourself as the great enemy and receive threats from staring witnesses. Scared witnesses will backbite you. Angry witnesses will scold you. They will fear you and hide from your shadow. You will be known as a guardian of gods and deceit, while you cry in your cage.
You will be guilty of rage and screams, cause of chains and intolerable suffering. And your tears will grow with your grief. Down you will fall and I will judge you responsible for the flood of evil and the anger it is mixed with. Troll will force you every day to exhaustion in the old giantfarm. You will be towed to the stone hearts' halls every day without choice. On the ground you wild creep without hope. As the ruler toy, you must be owned, accompanied only by tears, sadness and exhaustion. With rational, self-conceited trolls, you will live without benefit, as if you did not exist, your self will be abused, taken with force. You will grow sick of illness, like a prickly thistle with no room to be, facing the end. - Skirnir stopped to catch his breath.
- I've been in the dark forest. And far and wide in the world. To create a wand, to breed a magic wand. Odin is angry with you, the best of the Æsir are angry with you.
Listen up giants, listen to me troll, listen to me revengefull children of violence, tyrants and giants. Even gods listen to me, how I forbid, how I curse human joy with this woman, human will not have the benefit of free will. Icy, masked and furious are the trolls you will be with, together you are guilty of evil on earth. There you will be forced to drink your own goatp***. You should never get better drinks because of your choices, because of my choices. With my wand shall I write that you are a troll and three words; evil, madness and suffering. What I write with my wand will happen. But I can also wipe it out again, if you give me a reason to do so.

Edited by Skirnum
  • Like 2

The pen or pencil is a powerful wand. With it we can create worlds. Write realities (literature), take the images in our minds and give them shape and form (art). With the pen we can craft binding contracts and even break them. The pen is mightier than the sword. 

• Like 3

So I’m.... Xeon/Piney-you guys ever heard of Neville Goddard? If so I’d like to hear your thoughts, I agree with your views on the wand a tool of focus and nothing more.

Im still experimenting with the power of our imagination though and have not concluded the limits of its power-as accorded by Neville.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

So I’m.... Xeon/Piney-you guys ever heard of Neville Goddard? If so I’d like to hear your thoughts, I agree with your views on the wand a tool of focus and nothing more.

Im still experimenting with the power of our imagination though and have not concluded the limits of its power-as accorded by Neville.

From what I'm reading so far, he isn't my favorite person. "Prophecy?" is harmful and no good comes from it. 

The "Power of Intention" is a concept as old as magical thinking itself. Any Spirit Worker or Eastern martial artist worth his salt knows all about it in one form or another. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Neville said it was a mystic by the name of Abdullah who taught him. The whole "you are in barbados" thing. The idea is nothing new. 

A lot of my earlier magical practices were nothing more than intention-manifestation. 

Focus on what you wish to achieve if the idea doesn't become a part of you, then you never really wanted it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

From what I'm reading so far, he isn't my favorite person. "Prophecy?" is harmful and no good comes from it. 

The "Power of Intention" is a concept as old as magical thinking itself. Any Spirit Worker or Eastern martial artist worth his salt knows all about it in one form or another. 

I hear ya, they know something about it-not sure anyone knows all about it.... I’m well aware of the power of intention in a day to day experience basis.

I have not been introduced to his prophecies yet, can’t comment there-at face value I agree-phrophecy does seem harmful. 

When I first listened to his talks I was reminded of an exorcise my 10th grade lit teacher told us to perform. Basically to write out our lives for the next ten years as we saw it unfolding.

I was allowed to do all my work in poetry instead of essays, at first I didn’t know what to write-then I started daydreaming. Wrote the poem off my day dream and I kid you not, the following ten years unfolded exactly as I had day dreamed. Sometimes against the odds.

I still don’t know why I would write my intention was to join the military, but I did. I was heavy into pot use, I was a long haired hippy when I graduated. Scored a 91 on the asvab and my recruiter became persistent, I took the asvab high as I only went to take it to get out of class and smoke. 

months after my graduation my father shows up one morning at a party house I was at with my recruiter, I’m giving some drink to cleanse my urine, loaded into a car and driven to the air port. And there I was, a long haired hippy in Air Force basic training.

My marriage worked out the same way, a little weirder actually. I was a computer network tech-just as my poem suggested I would be. At the time I had only passing interest in computers. I found it really odd.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Neville said it was a mystic by the name of Abdullah who taught him. 

I think he was the generic "imaginary teacher" to get followers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Neville said it was a mystic by the name of Abdullah who taught him. The whole "you are in barbados" thing. The idea is nothing new. 

A lot of my earlier magical practices were nothing more than intention-manifestation. 

Focus on what you wish to achieve if the idea doesn't become a part of you, then you never really wanted it. 

I know there’s a very real power there, not sure of the limits if ya will.

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think he was the generic "imaginary teacher" to get followers. 

Interesting thing about that is if what is taught works, at least on some level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

I know there’s a very real power there, not sure of the limits if ya will.

Most manifestations are mundane and appears as either coincidence or luck. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Interesting thing about that is if what is taught works, at least on some level.

I know that, but many of these "teachers" who come up with ideas invented their own teachers to look more respectable and have more cred.

I was thinking of actually writing a "Imaginary Teacher" list on RationalWiki. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I know that, but many of these "teachers" who come up with ideas invented their own teachers to look more respectable and have more cred.

I was thinking of actually writing a "Imaginary Teacher" list on RationalWiki. :lol:

I think 'abraham' from Esther's work is one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

But that always came off as "common sense" to any Worker with any marbles. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

But that always came off as "common sense" to any Worker with any marbles. 

There are few of us. And some like myself had to learn the long way. I had no teacher or guide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There are few of us. And some like myself had to learn the long way. I had no teacher or guide. 

Ever use a wand?? Lol

I find it funny that I know you-Xeno-have experience with completely unexplainable phenomenon, and I highly suspect Piney does too, yet you both hold so strongly to this position of self biased confirmation, subconscious programming to realize manifestations through mundane explanations.

Remember Chaosrose? I recall her having interesting experiences as well, though she didn’t like to speak on the matter much. Why can’t we just openly discuss the stranger things intelligibly. Perhaps collectively we can know... I checked out your sites you recommended months ago but it was so over the top with crazy stuffs I couldn’t take it seriously. That’s why I like this site, the balance.

i feel there are other Serious seekers here and I believe there is still something to be sought. I also believe wands, poems, sigils, ceremony, etc... is for the amateur as all comes back to mind. Everyday is an experiment for me, I wonder if you have giving up the experimental phase. I hope not.

4 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

I find it funny that I know you-Xeno-have experience with completely unexplainable phenomenon, and I highly suspect Piney does too, yet you both hold so strongly to this position of self biased confirmation, subconscious programming to realize manifestations through mundane explanations.

Remember Chaosrose? I recall her having interesting experiences as well, though she didn’t like to speak on the matter much. Why can’t we just openly discuss the stranger things intelligibly. Perhaps collectively we can know... I checked out your sites you recommended months ago but it was so over the top with crazy stuffs I couldn’t take it seriously. That’s why I like this site, the balance.

i feel there are other Serious seekers here and I believe there is still something to be sought. I also believe wands, poems, sigils, ceremony, etc... is for the amateur as all comes back to mind. Everyday is an experiment for me, I wonder if you have giving up the experimental phase. I hope not.

Because if you talk about those strange experiences, you're called crazy, a liar, or hypocrite. Mainly due to this place being mostly a science only zone. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, Piney said:

Just like a Meteinuu's Pip, Iilaa's Club or "Gentleman's" Sword.

In Taoist Majick, which is the same as Chaos Majick, a sword is used in lieu of a wand. 

I understand this, it's like in Satanic Services they use a dagger for the same purpose.

peace

12 hours ago, Piney said:

Although I'm not taking exception

I wish to assuage misconception.

For Rupert and pappy

(the Noble Bool Krappi)

Have both been here since the inception.

Harte

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because if you talk about those strange experiences, you're called crazy, a liar, or hypocrite. Mainly due to this place being mostly a science only zone. 

But that’s what I want, a scientific group of people open to possibilities and personal experimentation to converse with. I don’t really care what people on a forum call me, but when they start It makes it hard to constructively conversate.

oh well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1