Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magic wands and biblical staff

ocpaul20

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Heka, much like Chi, Ki, Mana, Prana can be a magical energy. 

Does the Canaanite Religion have a term? I know everyone else does. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

Does the Canaanite Religion have a term? I know everyone else does. 

In Canaan, the equivalent term is pronounced "Napshu", but means soul energy, and is intensely personal, unlike the somewhat fluid and interchangeable idea of Chi/Mana/Vril etc.  Canaanite sorcery is called Chapshu.

Judaism's closest term is "Nephesh", but is very different in its ambit.  Judaic magic doesn't do energy manipulation, it is more of a naming and ordering exercise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Judaic magic doesn't do energy manipulation, it is more of a naming and ordering exercise.

That's interesting. I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. 

I do not know of any other tradition that doesn't have a term for Spiritual Energy. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...did you just throw an undergrad paper at us? Without throwing it through a plagiarism detector?

—Jaylemurph 

Meh, I do what I do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2020 at 4:44 AM, ocpaul20 said:

I am interested in the origins of these items because many stories of wizards/witches have some kind of wand they use to aid their magic. The Bible has accounts of people like Moses waving their staff at things and they have a 'magical' effect.

Do you think these items are some kind of tool which has an effect on our reality etc. ?

If so, then we should look into how these things were selected and used - or maybe it is just an item used in the story?

What do you think? Is there anything to this?

Hey, don't listen to all the Neigh Sayers and trampling hogs, you are very much onto something that was once regarded among all early races of man.

Whether it be the Native American tradition about the cleansing wind, and how the feather is thunder medicine, whereby the healer and wielder, may use the feather as a tool to manifest his/her intentions or spirit, as to heal the sick; or the Druid tradition of the wand, produced using willow and hollywood, to cast the "spell", which you speak or "Spell out" your intention, using the wand as a tool to make manifest; or the story of Mosheh(In Greek, Moses) within Yahudit(In English, Hebrew) tradition, wherein Mosheh uses a bronze serpent, at the tip of his staff, where by to cast the "power of god" or better yet, the "power of Al", in order to manifest miracles and catastrophes; or the African and Sumerian stories, of first mankind using stone tools, of crystal structure, a sort of cone or "fallice", with which proceeds the power of Anu, the father of the heavens; they all are kindred in their stories.

All these stories from around the world have a theme in common. A tool which is utilized to cast "power; spirit; and or intention", capable of fantastical might, and usually being made of some crystalline structure. The oldest stories recount stone objects, that can be found to this day, or at least clay copies of them, within museums, such as the Brittish Museum. Whereas others think it is fanciful fiction, I believe it is difficult for them to understand something un-tangible, or in other words, because it is not touchable they doubt it; yet, I would say there is a scientific process, a mathematical and electrical process, where intention may be conducted by metal or crystal, and cast. After all, the human mind has a core, an eye, from which radiates bio-photons, throughout are sort of "wires", called neurons, for electrical impulses, and an interpenetrating and pervading electro-magnetic feild, with which is pumped through your heart, so that it is not so far fetched to say that this significant energy can be conducted through some form of conduit. After all, all these different energies in the mind, are really one energy, and one process after all, it is simply taking mankind as a whole, a long time to understand such intricacies, or to come to terms with the idea. And believe it or not, there are some who, inwardly believe this too, yet they give off an outwardly deceiving secular view, in order to "safegaurd" or hoard this knowledge for themselves. 

1 hour ago, VastLand said:

Hey, don't listen to all the Neigh Sayers and trampling hogs [...]

Indeed, horses seldom provide good historical advice.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Ugh, magic is only about changing consciousness. Placebo, nocebo, hypnosis and suggestion. Using rituals, prayers, an array of symbolism. In so cases drug induced altered states were used. All the tools used were symbolic, the "power" they possessed was equal to the belief put into them. Except they never changed anything external, only the inner "reality". Language is a form of magic, the spoke or written word can change how a person thinks, feels, and views the world around them. Magic as an art is extremely simple. 

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Indeed, horses seldom provide good historical advice.

--Jaylemurph 

I thought you just needed to listen really carefully.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I thought you just needed to listen really carefully.

Mr Ed’s Guide to Sub-Roman Britain was a noted failure. (Besides, everyone knows Francis the Talking Mule was the thinking man’s expert on the subject.)

—Jaylemurph

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, VastLand said:

Hey, don't listen to all the Neigh Sayers and trampling hogs, you are very much onto something that was once regarded among all early races of man.

For the record, they're "Nay-sayers"... "Neigh-sayers" tend to be horses...  Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Ugh, magic is only about changing consciousness. Placebo, nocebo, hypnosis and suggestion. Using rituals, prayers, an array of symbolism. In so cases drug induced altered states were used. All the tools used were symbolic, the "power" they possessed was equal to the belief put into them. Except they never changed anything external, only the inner "reality". Language is a form of magic, the spoke or written word can change how a person thinks, feels, and views the world around them. Magic as an art is extremely simple. 

Written like someone who has never chucked Evards Black Tentacles into a Tokyo classroom for sh*ts and giggles.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Written like someone who has never chucked Evards Black Tentacles into a Tokyo classroom for sh*ts and giggles.

Sure whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, Wes83 said:

It would be great to talk with others who have experienced things like I have, I once yearned for it. But I could care less now, I see more clearly how we each make up our own realities. How we connect.... because even when we disagree we connect. 

So, it would seem there are others on here who want to discuss things without having to always give proof to the science-types. Progress has always been made by those who are pioneers and pioneers often have to throw away the science rule book to discover new things.

Fairly recently I was on a Yahoo group which believed they had found energy 'nodes' in dowels and other pieces of wood, metal, etc. When these 'wands' were of the 'correct' length, something resonated and produced a physical effect. I believe it is totally possible and maybe this is the way large blocks of stone were moved in the past. It would give a foundation to stories of 'wands'.

Ultimately I believe that everything is energy (including our physical) and we maipulate it with our (higher) consciousness. When we finally learn responsibility, to grow up and do this energy manipulation, then we become creator-gods on Earth and all our problems are gone. That wont be for a while yet though, we have to reach rock-bottom to begin an upward learning curve.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

So, it would seem there are others on here who want to discuss things without having to always give proof to the science-types..

Yes, I got College of Preceptors exam passes in General Science and Advanced Science and therefore regard paranormal phenomena and biblical miracles etc as a fascinating "Superscience" which as yet we know nothing about, and worthy of study..:D

"The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it"- Ayn Rand 1905-82

4 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Yes, I got College of Preceptors exam passes in General Science and Advanced Science and therefore regard paranormal phenomena and biblical miracles etc as a fascinating "Superscience" which as yet we know nothing about, and worthy of study..:D

"The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it"- Ayn Rand 1905-82

God help me, I may be shamefully ignorant and prone to bad jokes, but at least I never let Ayn Rand (*spits on floor*) do my talking for me...

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ocpaul20 said:

So, it would seem there are others on here who want to discuss things without having to always give proof to the science-types. Progress has always been made by those who are pioneers and pioneers often have to throw away the science rule book to discover new things.

Fairly recently I was on a Yahoo group which believed they had found energy 'nodes' in dowels and other pieces of wood, metal, etc. When these 'wands' were of the 'correct' length, something resonated and produced a physical effect. I believe it is totally possible and maybe this is the way large blocks of stone were moved in the past. It would give a foundation to stories of 'wands'.

Ultimately I believe that everything is energy (including our physical) and we maipulate it with our (higher) consciousness. When we finally learn responsibility, to grow up and do this energy manipulation, then we become creator-gods on Earth and all our problems are gone. That wont be for a while yet though, we have to reach rock-bottom to begin an upward learning curve.

Yes, heaven forfend we ask for evidence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Crikey said- "The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it"- Ayn Rand 1905-82

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God help me, I may be shamefully ignorant and prone to bad jokes, but at least I never let Ayn Rand (*spits on floor*) do my talking for me...

If somebody says something sensible it doesn't really matter who or what they are..:D

6 minutes ago, Crikey said:

If somebody says something sensible it doesn't really matter who or what they are..:D

Whether or not it’s a sensible aphorism is one discussion, one we can catch up on at the release party for the next edition of The Wit and (Sensible) Wisdom of Adolph Hitler...

—Jaylemurph 

54 minutes ago, Crikey said:

“Truth doesn’t need your permission, or understanding, in order to be true”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

So, it would seem there are others on here who want to discuss things without having to always give proof to the science-types.

Hi Ocpaul

To be honest some of the were weaving baskets before they came here and hopefully learned how to knit ( at least a coherent sentence)before they left, not being a sciecenty kind of guy in the normal sense that is.

Okay last time I got drunk here it was an experiment, I was trying to see if I could out drink the ice-making capacity of my fridge Fridge 1-Jay 0 next time I will get a friend and see.

jmccr8

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

I would bet that if you gave the same dowels to 8 different people in the group, you would not find an agreement on where the "nodes" were.  In other words, the results are someone's impression and no two are the same.  In order to be science, you have to replicate it under conditions that make it impossible to cheat or to know what others answered.

• Like 2