Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can spirits whisper?

Qwerty1975

I was in my room one sunny afternoon putting away laundry and I distinctly heard an old mans voice whisper my daughters name.  It almost sounded like my late grandfathers voice since he had a raspy quiet voice.  Her name is London, which isn’t very common, so it took me by surprise.  I was the only person around! Later that day I picked my daughter up from a friends house and told her about it.  She said that a few nights before this she heard a mans voice whisper her name too. It woke her up in the middle of the night. Has anyone experienced anything similar?  I would like to add that we have been dealing with electrical disturbances in the house as well.  Light bulbs blowing out all the time and the power to her room randomly will go out and my husband can’t figure out why?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

How?

By speaking very softly ?

• Haha 5

My cat died a few months back. Sad, but she was quite old. Then a few weeks ago, in the dead of night, I hear the faint me-ows near my back steps....identical to the very quiet meow the old cat had. I have got up on two occasions to investigate, nothing to be seen either time. Now I take no notice, but it keeps happening. A spirit cat, perhaps ! :D

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

How?

How do spirits do anything on the physical plane? Manipulation of energy in ways we don't understand. I have seen Theosophical literature that discusses things in some detail actually. Some are saying they manipulate white noise too.

There is also clairaudience in which people hear through there psychic senses too.

• Like 1

Are you sure it wasn't an Audiotory hallucination? or some other sound coming from a radio or tv?. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Qwerty1975 said:

It woke her up in the middle of the night. Has anyone experienced anything similar?  I would like to add that we have been dealing with electrical disturbances in the house as well.  Light bulbs blowing out all the time and the power to her room randomly will go out and my husband can’t figure out why?  

Not trying to scare you but I don't think a loved one's spirit would wake your child.Bad entities lie to deceive you into thinking they are friends to get a foothold,with the other stuff happening you could be looking at a mischievous or even evil entity.

• Like 1

My grandfather passed 5 years prior.  

No TV or radio was on in the house. 

My husband was out of town the night she heard her name whispered.  She was sleeping in my bed right next to me.  At first she thought it was my son playing a trick on her but when she went into his room, he was sound asleep.   She was really creeped out so she came back to bed and never said anything about it until I brought it up a few days later.  Even though I was in the room too, I never heard a thing.  Very strange.  

I mentioned this to a psychic medium and she said spirits can talk to us through radio frequency like an answer machine, etc.  But she was unaware of physically being able to hear a voice.  

• Like 1

I'll ask again. At the time of this occurance were you at any given point thinking about or missing him? The reason I ask is that it could've been a grief 'manifestation'. Basically like a phantom smell or hearing them. Sort of like a memory playing without conscious intent. As for others noticing similar thing, ideas spread. If nothing ill or harmful is occurring I wouldn't worry. 

Edited by XenoFish
Need more sleep lol

I just responded to this post but for some reason it’s not showing.  I apologize in advance if there was a delay and looks like I’m repeating myself. 

I do miss my grandfather and think about him often but I was much closer to my grandmother who passed away a few years before him.  I had a very close relationship with her.  After my grandmother passed, my grandfather remarried within a year.  It was difficult for our family to accept that and needless to say our relationship was never the same again.  He wasn’t very close to my children.  We may have visited just a few times over the years.

I’m not sure if what I heard was a spirit or not.   I do know that I heard an old mans voice.  Maybe male and female spirits sound the same?  I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Qwerty1975 said:

I would like to add that we have been dealing with electrical disturbances in the house as well.  Light bulbs blowing out all the time and the power to her room randomly will go out and my husband can’t figure out why?  

I am guessing it is an older house.  You should have an electrician check all the wires in the attic.  Mice, squirrels, etc can do a lot of damage up there.  They can also make 'strange' sounds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

I hear the faint me-ows near my back steps....identical to the very quiet meow the old cat had. I have got up on two occasions to investigate, nothing to be seen either time. Now I take no notice, but it keeps happening. A spirit cat, perhaps ! :D

Same thing happened to me after our cat died but I was able to solve it, I opened the back door one night after hearing meows and saw another cat, it was one of my dead cats old chums who he used to hang out with .It was apparently calling out to him which probably translated as "Where the hell are you? Haven't seen you for a while".

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Habitat said:

My cat died a few months back. Sad, but she was quite old. Then a few weeks ago, in the dead of night, I hear the faint me-ows near my back steps....identical to the very quiet meow the old cat had. I have got up on two occasions to investigate, nothing to be seen either time. Now I take no notice, but it keeps happening. A spirit cat, perhaps ! :D.

Your post made me think about a story about a ghost dog you may find interesting.  Just as the dog was going back to check on his family, your cat is coming back to check on you.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Qwerty1975 said:

I was in my room one sunny afternoon putting away laundry and I distinctly heard an old mans voice whisper my daughters name.  It almost sounded like my late grandfathers voice since he had a raspy quiet voice.  Her name is London, which isn’t very common, so it took me by surprise.  I was the only person around! Later that day I picked my daughter up from a friends house and told her about it.  She said that a few nights before this she heard a mans voice whisper her name too. It woke her up in the middle of the night. Has anyone experienced anything similar?  I would like to add that we have been dealing with electrical disturbances in the house as well.  Light bulbs blowing out all the time and the power to her room randomly will go out and my husband can’t figure out why?  

How old is your daughter?

5 hours ago, Crikey said:

Same thing happened to me after our cat died but I was able to solve it, I opened the back door one night after hearing meows and saw another cat, it was one of my dead cats old chums who he used to hang out with .It was apparently calling out to him which probably translated as "Where the hell are you? Haven't seen you for a while".

Could be, but twice I've gone to where the sound was coming from, and nothing !

• Like 1

Subconscious interpretation of a noise into something more familiar.

Spirits can;t talk,  They live in bottles until they are drunk.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

Subconscious interpretation of a noise into something more familiar.
Spirits can;t talk,  They live in bottles until they are drunk.  

I don't know about bottles, but I was going to post almost exactly what you just said about the subconscious but you beat me to it..:D

Maybe our subconscious or DNA or whatever is "programmed" to always keep an ear out for any possible danger, dating back to prehistoric times.

For example the tribe relaxing in their mud huts might have nevertheless always been listening for the warning call of a lookout who's spotted an incoming enemy tribe.

So nowadays our subconscious is probably always on the watch, and if it thinks it hears danger, it translates it into voices.

With me, trickling water in the sink or shower sometimes sounds like words or phrases to me, especially when I'm tired.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Qwerty1975 said:

I’m not sure if what I heard was a spirit or not.   I do know that I heard an old mans voice.  Maybe male and female spirits sound the same?  I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this 

I had my passed brother speak to me when I was extremely stressed and he calmed me down,it was a clear voice.Because it was a positive message I believe it was him.If you have doubts about the voice it may be something else.You probably picked up on it as your husband was not there and your senses would be heightened as would your child's.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, Golden Duck said:

How?

Good question, humans speak because we have a voice box, vocal cords etc do ghosts still have them?  

16 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Good question, humans speak because we have a voice box, vocal cords etc do ghosts still have them?  

To fit the definition of the ghost, no they wouldn't. What could they modulate and use to create a voice, well it is only pure speculation, but I would say they could possibly be vibrating molecules of some kind. It is of course only anecdotal evidence, but many people that have reported ghostly knocks and sound, they often describe it as sounding to them as if the sound was coming from within the object. Of course, that could mean that the knocks were just settling, but it could also mean the ghost is somehow clacking the molecules of that object together and vibrating them.

Edited by WanderingFool0

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

How?

I have seen the 'how' discussed in considerable detail in Theosophical literature. Direction of etheric energy and etheric matter are the keys.

• Like 2