Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question???

Mystify

I have a general Idea but was hoping someone could give some more scientific facts as to exactly: why are all planets " round ".

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mystify

• reese92

• Magikman

• Homer

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wondered that myself.. I don't know if anyone can give a 'real' answer though.. They may have some ideas about why it would be so..  So, why do you think?

Reese  :-*

Hey Reese,

I guess it's a question many have thought of before. The only sensible answer I can come up with has to do with the fact that Space is one huge vaccuum. Constantly compressing all that is in it. Now as to why round... I guess because do to all that pressure... if a planet has been around long enough... most of the big rough edges that would stick out and make this planet anything but round of have been slowly chisled away with time.

Now does that mean that if a particle of an exploded planet were to travel at a fast enough speed to start burning up in space (comet) the burning effect would also make it round in shape would it not?

I am guessing that what you are saying about the planets being round is probably the best answer that anyone could give.  But, what happens to all the 'chiseled' parts?  And, wouldn't we notice if they were slowly disappearing?  And, wouldn't there be some form of difference that could easily have been known, even years ago?  All these things are very interesting, I wonder what everyone else thinks?  There are a couple people on here that will probably reply, they are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to space.

Reese  :-*

Mystify,

Gravity is the underlying mechanism that ‘shapes’ the planets (with notable exceptions). Our outer planets are ‘gas giants’ so you have the stresses of atmospheric pressure compressing and smoothing any hard surfaces. Here is a link to a site that offers a simplistic explanation;

http://www.pa.msu.edu/~sciencet/ask_st/031198.html

As to your observation about comets, our knowledge of such objects is somewhat limited, but it is generally agreed that they can come in all shapes and sizes. Some comets may not even be one ‘solid’ object (iron ore), rather a loosely compacted mass of rocks (a rumble pile, as it were). The visible ‘coma’ or corona of a comet gives it a ‘ball shaped’ appearance to those viewing it. Here’s a link to a site that will give you more detailed information;

http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/astroweb/comets/comets.html

Alternately, you could use the google search engine to expand and enhance your search for more information. I hope this helps.

MAGIKMAN:D

Was wondering when the facts would come Magik... :)

Thank you I shall read that tonight.