Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study confirms stress causes hair to grey.

spartan max2

Lord Byron put it down to sudden fears, which took their toll on men at night. For Wordsworth it was shocks of passion that swiftly turned hair white.

But while hair cannot lose its colour in an instant – at least not without help from a bottle of bleach – scientists at Harvard University have shown how stress can, over time, speed up the greying process.

Ya-Chieh Hsu, a stem cell biologist, found that stress causes nerves involved in the fight-or-flight response to pump out a hormone which wipes out the stem cells used to make hair pigments.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/22/stress-speeds-up-hair-greying-process-science-confirms

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

By that reckoning, stress must increase with age, as most people grey with age. I don't accept that. A lot of people feel greater stress at a young age, than later.

• Like 2

Just tell me how to get the color back.  That's all I want to know about.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

By that reckoning, stress must increase with age, as most people grey with age. I don't accept that. A lot of people feel greater stress at a young age, than later.

My fault for the title.

The title should be that study confirms stress hormones accelerates the loss of pigments in the hair. 

So it just speeds it up. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Explains why my hair went white in my mid 30's. 

Genetics :tu:

• Like 2

You would think this could be tested easily enough, by comparing a group of war veterans who experienced a lot of combat, and another group not so exposed.

• Like 2

Also, poor mice :(.

The Harvard team made their discovery through a series of experiments that measured the effect of stress on the hair colour of mice. The animals were stressed over several days by being restrained for four hours a day, Monday to Friday, or through combinations of damp bedding, rapid changes to lighting and having their cages tilted.

• Sad 1

I have always thought that was true...one of the reasons I have sought to have a stress free life. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Habitat said:

You would think this could be tested easily enough, by comparing a group of war veterans who experienced a lot of combat, and another group not so exposed.

I've noticed it on world leaders over the years.  Fresh as a daisy taking office, some of them, but grey-headed and kinda haggard after it.

• Like 1

Going a step further to actual baldness, somebody once asked a Star Trek producer/director(?)- "Why haven't they found a cure for Picard's baldness in the 21st century?", and he replied- "Because in the 21st century nobody cares about being bald, it's not an issue"..:D

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago, a treatment that would restore the original colour was touted, pending safety trials, but no more heard. 

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I've noticed it on world leaders over the years.  Fresh as a daisy taking office, some of them, but grey-headed and kinda haggard after it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sNmRvNeAVXSwPMG66

https://images.app.goo.gl/cS1ZD22yRJ7oW6XbA

Lol

Edit: hmmm. Didn't share the way I would like.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1