Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
VerdeICe

Huge Indian mask spirit

VerdeICe

I live in an orchard. My brother told me he saw somthing watching him through the cracks in the fence. 

It was a huge tribal looking mask with black eyes. Im not saying what he saw was real or that it wasnt just a person... For some reason. 

But what would that kind of spirit be, if there is any lore behind it?

• Like 1

Piney
36 minutes ago, VerdeICe said:

I live in an orchard. My brother told me he saw somthing watching him through the cracks in the fence. 

It was a huge tribal looking mask with black eyes. Im not saying what he saw was real or that it wasnt just a person... For some reason. 

But what would that kind of spirit be, if there is any lore behind it?

You'd have to show me a picture and/or give me a general location where your at. Every tribal lore is different. 

• Like 1

VerdeICe

I live in central california, merced County area. 

The valley.

• Like 2

VerdeICe

My brother found the mask after some searching. Its called the mask of the octopus hunter. Its interesting but maybe it was just a spirit. I suppose. 

download (3).jpeg

• Like 2

Piney
Just now, VerdeICe said:

My brother found the mask after some searching. Its called the mask of the octopus hunter. Its interesting but maybe it was just a spirit. I suppose. 

He was a person in a story. Not a spirit, but many Northwestern masks look similar. 

Spirits don't have any form but what people give them. Maybe it was something he saw in a picture and it was sitting in his subconscious.

• Like 2

papageorge1
13 minutes ago, VerdeICe said:

Its interesting but maybe it was just a spirit. 

'Just' a spirit? What an understatement. Pretty fascinating to the rest of us! 

I wonder what/why seeing that suggests?

• Thanks 1

Kenemet
54 minutes ago, VerdeICe said:

download (3).jpeg

He's playing a prank on you.

The central California people included the Chumash, Pomo, Salinan, Yokut, Miwok, and Nisenan.  What you have there is an Alaskan mask... the Kwakiutl people: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15799coll10/id/1429/rec/37

Go tell him you're not that dim and you're not going to fall for his silly story.  The Kwakiutl didn't live in California.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tatetopa
55 minutes ago, Piney said:

He was a person in a story. Not a spirit, but many Northwestern masks look similar. 

If this is in California, it must have been taken there as a souvenir I would guess?  Northwest coast of US and Canada?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

VerdeICe

I dont know. He said thats what it looked like. I dont know the lore behind anything but he seems to be telling the truth. 

Kenemet
9 hours ago, VerdeICe said:

I dont know. He said thats what it looked like. I dont know the lore behind anything but he seems to be telling the truth. 

Nope.  He's playing you for a fool.  Or someone played HIM for a fool.

In any case, that's a very specific mask and mask type and it's from over a thousand miles away and an entirely different culture.  That's like... trying to pass off Japanese sumo wrestling as American boxing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

VerdeICe

Gotcha. He is an idoit. Damn. It was cool tho.

• Like 2