Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suspected coronavirus in Scotland

Eldorado

"Four people are being tested for suspected coronavirus in Scotland, according to the head of infection medicine at the University of Edinburgh.

"Professor Jurgen Haas said he believes there will be many more cases from other cities in the UK.

"Three cases are in Edinburgh and the other is believed to be in Glasgow. They all travelled to Scotland from Wuhan, where the outbreak is thought to have originated, within the past two weeks and are showing symptoms of respiratory trouble, a red flag for the virus.

"In a statement to the House of Commons this morning, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the NHS was well-prepared but warned the situation was developing rapidly. "

At the Telegraph:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/23/britain-braced-killer-coronavirus-says-health-secretary-infection/

At ITV: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-23/four-people-being-tested-in-scotland-for-suspected-coronavirus-after-travelling-from-china/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Perhaps a butterfingered Chinese scientist dropped a flask of germs in a research lab and it's now being spread by airline travellers?

Edited by Crikey
  • Thanks 1

aren't they suspecting it to have come from snakes now? :huh:

Edited by XSAS_Daughter
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, XSAS_Daughter said:

Aye.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Here's the whole first episode of Survivors (1975) called 'The Fourth Horseman', it shows in step-by-step detail what we can expect if a worldwide plague ever happens. It starts with a jolly bit of tennis, what could possibly go wrong?..:rolleyes:

"Tests are being undertaken to rule out coronavirus at a hospital in Belfast.

"It is understood a patient did arrive at the Royal Victoria in the west of the city showing symptoms which may or may not be associated with the condition but it will be some time before results are returned."

At the Belfast Telegraph: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tests-for-coronavirus-carried-out-at-belfast-hospital-38889744.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some good news:

Five people being tested for coronavirus in Scotland have been given the all-clear.

The chief medical officer for England confirmed that all 14 people tested in the UK had been found to be free of the virus.

All of them had recently visited Wuhan where the outbreak originated. Checks are ongoing on other people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51241245

• Like 2

A Guy i know very well has recently been admitted to hospital in London, for Pneumonia like systems and a Kidney infection, though he is in intensive care and is being quarantined, no one is allowed to see him, i wonder if the Docs beleive it may be connected to the Virus hence the precautions :/

On 1/24/2020 at 4:30 AM, XSAS_Daughter said:

...what really matters is it definitely didn't come from a corona beer so why call it so and ruin it for everyone. 

2 hours ago, .AKUMA. said:

A Guy i know very well has recently been admitted to hospital in London, for Pneumonia like systems and a Kidney infection, though he is in intensive care and is being quarantined, no one is allowed to see him, i wonder if the Docs beleive it may be connected to the Virus hence the precautions :/

I was at the international airport yesterday and all the Japanese that came off the Narita flight all had surgical face masks on to protect themselves. i wonder if the tread will catch on. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I was at the international airport yesterday and all the Japanese that came off the Narita flight all had surgical face masks on to protect themselves. i wonder if the tread will catch on. 

Doesn't matter much even if it does, the masks make people comfortable but they don't really work. The problem with these masks is they don't have a good seal around the edges, so if some one coughs in their face the mask will become covered by contaminated liquid droplets. Then as they evaporate they are breathed in around the sides of the mask. Then there is also the possibility that someone coughed from the side, since the mask isn't completely sealed the Virus can enter there. So in the end the masks don't really matter much at all.

Peace.

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Doesn't matter much even if it does, the masks make people comfortable but they don't really work. The problem with these masks is they don't have a good seal around the edges, so if some one coughs in their face the mask will become covered by contaminated liquid droplets. Then as they evaporate they are breathed in around the sides of the mask. Then there is also the possibility that someone coughed from the side, since the mask isn't completely sealed the Virus can enter there. So in the end the masks don't really matter much at all.

Peace.

Of course not as good as a full body contamination suit. ...still, the face masks offer more protection than nothing.

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Of course not as good as a full body contamination suit. ...still, the face masks offer more protection than nothing.

I was not taking about full body suits, and yes the masks are better then nothing, but not by much. The Virus is spread by someone coughing, at least that's what they think at this time. The masks don't stop the coughed spray from getting in your eyes, or other membranes where they can be absorbed. I lived in Korea 2013 until Dec 2019, I was living in Pyeongtaek during the entire MERS out break. Pyeongtaek was where the out break started, and it was the worst hit area in the country. The Korean Health Department told people to stay out of crowds, and they told us that the Masks were of little to no help. It was a little tense, but over all the most important thing was to stay clear of groups of people, so that's what we did and we never got sick.

Peace.

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I was not taking about full body suits, and yes the masks are better then nothing, but not by much. The Virus is spread by someone coughing, at least that's what they think at this time. The masks don't stop the coughed spray from getting in your eyes, or other membranes where they can be absorbed. I lived in Korea 2013 until Dec 2019, I was living in Pyeongtaek during the entire MERS out break. Pyeongtaek was where the out break started, and it was the worst hit area in the country. The Korean Health Department told people to stay out of crowds, and they told us that the Masks were of little to no help. It was a little tense, but over all the most important thing was to stay clear of groups of people, so that's what we did and we never got sick.

Peace.

im not getting into a full blown argument about face masks. Maybe you're right. Still given a choice between a mask and no mask i know what id do. 

On 1/24/2020 at 3:30 AM, XSAS_Daughter said:

Actually that report was wrong, they have done a genetic profile on the Virus and they are certain now the infection came from Bats. So far, SARS, MERS, and now 2019-nCoV all have come from some kind of exposure to Bats.

Peace

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

im not getting into a full blown argument about face masks. Maybe you're right. Still given a choice between a mask and no mask i know what id do. 

I am not trying to start an argument, it is even stated in the link provided by the OP the masks don't work. I am only trying to add information that is accurate. People seem to be freaking out, they need the facts that's the only thing that will help them settle down

No offense intended to you.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am not trying to start an argument, it is even stated in the link provided by the OP the masks don't work. I am only trying to add information that is accurate. People seem to be freaking out, they need the facts that's the only thing that will help them settle down

No offense intended to you.

Peace

Im not offended. just saying that we both have thrown in our 2 cents and there really isn't any more to say. well there's the answer to your stated fact. people freak out and the authorities don't want ninja wanna-be's being anti social and possibly effecting the economy. but it doesn't change tha fact that some form of protection is better than none. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:56 AM, susieice said:

The first person who was infected came into the US at Seattles International Airport. He is currently recovering at a hospital in Seattle, his condition is very good and he is responding to treatment. No further infections have been reported in Washington State.

Peace

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The first person who was infected came into the US at Seattles International Airport. He is currently recovering at a hospital in Seattle, his condition is very good and he is responding to treatment. No further infections have been reported in Washington State.

Peace

This was LAX Los Angeles and is not confirmed. This case in Chicago has been confirmed. There are only two confirmed cases in the US right now. I hope the man in Seattle has a swift recovery.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/01/24/first-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-chicago/

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

This was LAX Los Angeles and is not confirmed. This case in Chicago has been confirmed. There are only two confirmed cases in the US right now. I hope the man in Seattle has a swift recovery.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/01/24/first-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-chicago/

It was in the news earlier tonight, he's doing great. The only people around the world who are having major problems, are those with compromised immune systems. Every person who has died to date falls into that catigory. This Virus appears to not be a serious threat to those who are healthy, and that alone is a wonderful thing.

Peace

• Like 1

I found this report from the CDC. They are looking into 61 potential cases from 22 states. Eleven were cleared and the test results for the others are pending. They're probably checking anyone with respiratory symptoms that are similar to the virus. That's good too. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/2nd-coronavirus-case-confirmed-u-s-cdc-reports-n1121911

• Like 1