Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comfort Foods

Jujo-jo

What are your comfort foods, foods that lift you up when down, foods that cure your craving, foods that cure your cold and flu and other illnesses, foods that make you feel cozy and comfortable?

• Like 5

I love nachos (not from taco bell), they are something I sometimes crave, but not healthy.  Apples are a comfort food for me, and frijoles refried and put on a tortilla with cheese and chile, but  chocolate is my go to for a bad day (not candy, cocoa powder and instant milk with hot water, no sweetener).  And it is nice to have a turkey dinner with all the fixings, mashed potatoes, gravy, green chile stew, green beans, baked sweet potatoes, home made bread, salad and pumpkin pie once a year.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Egg salad on toasted rye.

Homemade chicken and dumplings. (Extra lage, fluffly, bread in the middle type dumplings).

Homemade lasagna (with cottage and ricotta).

Homemade strawberry rhubarb pie (3 cup sugar kind).

• Like 7

I'm not prone to colds or the flu, but if I get the sniffles I always boil some sideritis (also known as ironwort and mountain tea) and drink it. I discovered it on a trip to Greece and have been drinking it regularly ever since. It's delicious with a dash of honey and always makes me feel instantly better.

o5rHhlK.jpg?1

My 'comfort' foods are just my usual favourites. Eggs Benedict, Japanese (tempura, dragon rolls, cooked shrimp sushi),  pomegranates, and dark chocolate covered almonds. If I'm craving sweet stuff, I usually go for lemon or key lime tarts, tiramisu, pistachio ice cream, or orange sorbet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Cold and or flu hits me about every two to four months, especially chest congestion... I use colloidal silver and homemade fermented super tonic along with night quil cold and flue.

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 4

Real sushi, not that Americanized yuck, Breyers vanilla bean ice cream, Cheerios and peanut butter. Vanilla yogurt. 

I'll eat a whole 2lb tub of yogurt or a 2lb jar of peanut butter in one sitting. :yes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have a small bakery display at my work filled with delicious pastries. I've become addicted to the caramel slice so I decided to try my hand at making it this week.

To top it off, instead of melting and setting chocolate on the top, I tried making ganache for the first time and it worked.

I'm going to be a potato on legs by the end of the year at this rate.

But my god, it's worth it. :P

Effortless, Simple Yet Addictive AF Caramel Slice

• Preheat oven to 425/210 degrees.
  • Pour two tins of sweetened condensed milk (do not scrape out insides of tins) into a small casserole dish or pan. Set inside a larger dish or pan that is half-filled with boiling hot water. Cover the small tin with foil. Heat in oven for 1 and a half hours. (Creates caramel or "dulce de leche")
  • Crush half a packet of plain sweet biscuits/cookies. Stir in 100g of melted butter and the leftover condensed milk. Combine well. Press into lined brownie pan. Refrigerate while caramel cooks.
  • Transfer cooked caramel into a mixing bowl and stir with hand mixer for one minute. Pour over biscuit base. Refrigerate.
  • Either melt chopped milk chocolate shards in a bowl (on stove over water or in microwave) or heat 1/3 cup of thickened cream in microwave, add chopped milk chocolate and stir until melted to create ganache. Pour over caramel and refrigerate.

You're welcome <3

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh... a lot of my mom's cooking is comfort food for me. Scalloped taters and ham, chop suey and egg foo young with hot!!! home mixed mustard. Ribs and kraut, spaghetti and lasagna. Chili and all sorts of soups and casseroles. There is a casserole in my family that is only called casserole, and it's a mom food.

I find great comfort outside moms cooking too. I've pushed into Middle Eastern and Indian, Southern America and deep European stuff. Squashes and dried beans, strange greens and wild herbs. There's a comfort to harvesting pounds of wild chives in my lawn and making compound butters, dried and frozen goodness, or flavored vodka- so is consuming those efforts out of season. Or burbling up a batch of dandelion flower and vanilla jelly to use with honey and elderberry to soothe my winter throat.

Soups and broths are go to for me when it's that sickie time of year. Which also happens to usually be that time of year when you want to have hot food anyway. Classic matzo ball soup out of the box can be fine. There's a Maggi brand instant chicken noodle soup that I pick up at the local Hispanic grocer that is also very comforting. On occasion a can of chicken noodle or won-ton suits most... and a good ramen noodle is great when sick or needing comfort food. But then I more often will pull some stock from the freezer and mix up some soup too. Depends on who's sick in the house at the time, lol.

In the summer I crave ice cold hibiscus drinks and citrus aides... sun brewed teas without sugar. Comfort foods are greens warm from the garden and egg dishes of all sorts. Cold veggie or pasta salads, bean and grain salads. Hot seared meats and veggies off the grilled with bad for your potato salads and slaws, sugary baked beans and very good for you pickled goods.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rashore said:

In the summer I crave ice cold hibiscus drinks and citrus aides...

You would like staghorn sumac aide. :yes:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

I do like that too. Good sun tea.

If you cook it you mess up it's vitamins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

If you cook it you mess up it's vitamins. 

No, not cook. Sun tea. If it’s cooking it’s too hot. Too much sun cooks an icky brew instead of warmly releasing a yummy brew. A lot of people screw up plain ole black tea brews too by solar cooking instead of proper warm sun steeping.

• Like 3

Just now, rashore said:

No, not cook. Sun tea. If it’s cooking it’s too hot. Too much sun cooks an icky brew instead of warmly releasing a yummy brew. A lot of people screw up plain ole black tea brews too by cooking instead of proper warm sun steeping.

I know, I'm just agreeing to use the sun instead of cooking. :yes:

...Black tea.....meh.....leaf mulch. :o

• Like 2

Husband's favorite comfort food is tomato soup and grilled cheese, it's nice having that once in a while, it does give off an old warm coziness.

• Like 5

One if my favorite comfort foods is Emu Jerky. While Emu meat can be a little expensive it is very health to eat. The red emu meat is similar in taste and texture to lean beef, but lower in cholesterol, fat, and calories. Here in Washington State there are a number of Emu farms where you can buy their meat much cheaper than online, check where you live there is probably an Emu Farm near  you, Enjoy.

https://www.uniquelyemu.com/emu-meat-7.htm

https://www.best-ostrich-info-online.com/jerkyrecipes.html

Oh and by the way, Buffalo is also really good to eat, if you never tried it, you should.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

One if my favorite comfort foods is Emu Jerky. While Emu meat can be a little expensive it is very health to eat. The red emu meat is similar in taste and texture to lean beef, but lower in cholesterol, fat, and calories. Here in Washington State there are a number of Emu farms where you can buy their meat much cheaper than online, check where you live there is probably an Emu Farm near  you, Enjoy.

https://www.uniquelyemu.com/emu-meat-7.htm

https://www.best-ostrich-info-online.com/jerkyrecipes.html

Oh and by the way, Buffalo is also really good to eat, if you never tried it, you should.

Peace

Yes buffalo is wonderful! The market where we were getting it from had a shortage so it was hard to get so lost interest, I havent had buffalo in about 5 yrs now! Way too long.  

I never tried emu but will probably have to now ; ) 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Jujo-jo said:

Cold and or flu hits me about every two to four months, especially chest congestion... I use colloidal silver and homemade fermented super tonic along with night quil cold and flue.

How do you ingest the silver ? Orally ? I hear that ultrasonic nebulizers are used by people with lung infections, with good effect. That was nanoparticle silver, not ionic. Meso Silver would be one brand of nanoparticle silver.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

How do you ingest the silver ? Orally ? I hear that ultrasonic nebulizers are used by people with lung infections, with good effect. That was nanoparticle silver, not ionic. Meso Silver would be one brand of nanoparticle silver.

Yes orally I make mine using a device from Canada 

photo_com_sp6.gif

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Meso Silver, I just looked that up, I may have to try some, thanks!

Chicken Soup, Chocolate, Homemade Fried Chicken, Roast Beef, Fudge Sundae, BLT's and Spaghetti. 

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

Chicken Soup, Chocolate, Homemade Fried Chicken, Roast Beef, Fudge Sundae, BLT's and Spaghetti. 

How do you make your homemade fried chicken? 

I used to make southern fried chicken years ago but I forgot what I make now I cant say is southern fried lol. I just bought some shake n bake and Kentucky kernel seasoned flour to try to make some soon,  not sure what one would be better(?) 

When it comes to junk foods, my favorite comfort foods are jelly rolls, Crunch bars, and cake.

When it comes to healthier foods, my favorite comfort foods are soup and sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1