Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In your opinion, was this right or wrong?

Jujo-jo

Seems like they could be an impediment to wrestling but they could have had enough decency to not do it in front of everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If other wrestlers with long hair were allowed to cover their hair then this is wrong.  I think there is enough backlash that it won't happen again, at least in New Jersey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The student had wrestled in the earlier part of the tournament without incident. What happened prior to that particular match was inexcusable. The referee who made him cut his dreadlocks was ultimately suspended over the incident, and, if I recall correctly, bias training was made mandatory for high school officials in the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If other wrestlers with long hair were allowed to cover their hair then this is wrong.  I think there is enough backlash that it won't happen again, at least in New Jersey.

What I'm also wondering is what were the rules about hair, whether everyone knew beforehand, etc. If you read the comments, so many just immediately jump to the conclusion that it's all about racism. I've just seen so many instances where things were painted in such a light to lead consumers to draw that conclusion, only to find out later that it didn't really quite happen that way. People's entire reputations are easily ruined that way because we unfortunately live in a society where we're ruled by the court of public opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

Watch "NJ high school wrestler forced to cut dreadlocks" on YouTube

This happened a few towns over and is old news. When I wrestled though it was one of the few times I cut my hair so it didn't interfere or tangle.

You can actually get hurt if the other guys fingers tangle up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

What I'm also wondering is what were the rules about hair, whether everyone knew beforehand, etc. If you read the comments, so many just immediately jump to the conclusion that it's all about racism. I've just seen so many instances where things were painted in such a light to lead consumers to draw that conclusion, only to find out later that it didn't really quite happen that way. People's entire reputations are easily ruined that way because we unfortunately live in a society where we're ruled by the court of public opinion. 

It's called programming for a reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

Watch "NJ high school wrestler forced to cut dreadlocks" on YouTube

I really hate to see situations like this. Whether this was racially motivated or not doesn't even matter at this point, because the damage has been done and after the Students hair was cut there is no way to go back to correct it. The individual responsible in my opinion should be fired, and never put in a position of authority over others again, because he obviously can't handle that responsibility. How this will effect the young wrestler only time will tell, but  situations like this can have a permanent effect on people lives.

I really wish people in this country would think before they act, however, I suppose that may be far to much to ask. :no:

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

The student made it through pre-match inspection. The referee (who did not raise concerns at that stage) decided to make an issue of the student's dreadlocks just when the student took to the mat. He rejected the head cover the student was wearing and told him he had to cut his hair (because it was in 'braids' and not in its 'natural state'). If that doesn't smack of racism, I don't know what does. That referee, by the way, had been investigated the year prior for directing a racial epithet at a black official.

• Thanks 4

Call it what it is and not how you wish it to be. The hair needed to be cut. It will grow back and the freaking universe did not implode.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

I've seen much longer dreadlocks then what this kids had.

These kids are well informed of the risks and dangers of the sport; long hair, short hair or dreadlocks.

It made me wonder where his parents were... if it were my child I would have given him the choice but I sure wouldnt have let them cut his hair in front of the whole match! Maybe in the locker room, if he so chose to have it done and I think he should have been given a warning before hand and given the opportunity to get his hair cut on his own in his own time. 

I get that rules are rules at the same time, rules are rules and if one of those rules says there is no hair grabbing then everyone knows not to do it anyway. It's not like it was past his shoulders...

I think holding the ref. accountable was a good thing., espevially if the student had not been warned prior to to game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Call it what it is and not how you wish it to be. The hair needed to be cut. It will grow back and the freaking universe did not implode.

The hair did not need to be cut. The student was wearing a head covering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The student made it through pre-match inspection. The referee (who did not raise concerns at that stage) decided to make an issue of the student's dreadlocks just when the student took to the mat. He rejected the head cover the student was wearing and told him he had to cut his hair (because it was in 'braids' and not in its 'natural state'). If that doesn't smack of racism, I don't know what does. That referee, by the way, had been investigated the year prior for directing a racial epithet at a black official.

Whats weird to me is that I can't tell in that video what his ancestry is.  His skin doesn't seem dark so what is the racial thing about?  Around here the kids who wear dreadlocks usually have blonde hair.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I went back and forth with this for a while now and the more I think about it, it makes me mad! 

Yeah his hair will grow back but it was wrong how the person went about it by not excepting the cap and to cut his hair for what a 5 to 15 min match (or for however long it was), seems pretty cruel really.

Of course the kid was going to win, the rage inside that poor kid had to be tremendous and I bet his component felt it. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Whats weird to me is that I can't tell in that video what his ancestry is.  His skin doesn't seem dark so what is the racial thing about?  Around here the kids who wear dreadlocks usually have blonde hair.

Some people just flat out dont like dreads anyway!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

He's African American. That's what the racial thing is about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Thank goodness!  I thought maybe the Ref blew a fuse over "cultural appropriation"  <_<

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ok it was a racist act, by a racist individual. Since the rules state his hair could be covered, but that wasn't good enough for the individual in charge. So he singled this student out and took the situation to new level which he didn't enforce on anyone else. That is an act that is based upon bias which is the result of racism. 

Last the referee was suspended in the past for publicly making racial slurs to another referee, so this isn't the first time this guy has has used race to define his attitude about another person.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/nyregion/andrew-johnson-wrestler-dreadlocks.html

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Do you mean like Elon Musk?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Ok it was a racist act, by a racist individual. Since the rules state his hair could be covered, but that wasn't good enough for the individual in charge. So he singled this student out and took the situation to new level which he didn't enforce on anyone else. That is an act that is based upon bias which is the result of racism. 

Last the referee was suspended in the past for publicly making racial slurs to another referee, so this isn't the first time this guy has has used race to define his attitude about another person.

Peace

What do you want me to do about it. Most of my ancestry is nigh extinct. Plus I'm a genetic mutt. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you mean like Elon Musk?

Not at all like Elon Musk. Musk is a white South African.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What do you want me to do about it. Most of my ancestry is nigh extinct. Plus I'm a genetic mutt. 

So l am the last living person in my family in the USA, what does any of this have to do with this situation?:devil:

Interesting that the Ref who forced the issue, had no issue when the student's hair passed initial inspection prior to tournament.

It only became an issue once the student advanced...

Weak, transparent and lowest common denominator.

Keep that ref away from wrestling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1