Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jujo-jo

In your opinion, was this right or wrong?

44 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Not A Rockstar
4 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Interesting that the Ref who forced the issue, had no issue when the student's hair passed initial inspection prior to tournament.

It only became an issue once the student advanced...

Yeah, if this is the case, then it is a problem. 

I assume the rules define what is permitted hair for the sport, so either he complied or he did not, and that should have been true both in the inspection and prior to his match.

But, sanity, and not PC should have been what the rules were based on and hair should be short in contact sports. However, if allowed, then be allowed all the time for everyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Habitat
6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Long hair is a grab hazard. No wrestler should have long hair. 

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
13 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Not at all like Elon Musk. Musk is a white South African.

Yes, but now he is an African American.  I think people take the color of another human's skin too serioously, especially since we are all one race.  There are "ethnicities" and cultures but only ONE human race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, but now he is an African American.  I think people take the color of another human's skin too serioously, especially since we are all one race.  There are "ethnicities" and cultures but only ONE human race.

No, Musk is not an African American. Perhaps a South African American, but not an African American. The latter is a specific ethnic group (largely the descendents of slaves) and primarily of black African ancestry, although many have non-black ancestors as well. I very much agree with your last statement, however.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
14 hours ago, Habitat said:

See the source image

Being over the top is also a grab hazard, I would really like to meet you.:yes:

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
14 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Yeah, if this is the case, then it is a problem. 

I assume the rules define what is permitted hair for the sport, so either he complied or he did not, and that should have been true both in the inspection and prior to his match.

But, sanity, and not PC should have been what the rules were based on and hair should be short in contact sports. However, if allowed, then be allowed all the time for everyone.

Here's another problem, the referee in question has already been suspended once for yelling racial slurs at another referee. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/nyregion/andrew-johnson-wrestler-dreadlocks.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here's another problem, the referee in question has already been suspended once for yelling racial slurs at another referee. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/nyregion/andrew-johnson-wrestler-dreadlocks.html

prior guilt does not compound current guilt or innocence, though it does infer. I am just saying that if his hair was ok n some official inspection before the match, it should have been ok at his match.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
On 1/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The student made it through pre-match inspection. The referee (who did not raise concerns at that stage) decided to make an issue of the student's dreadlocks just when the student took to the mat. He rejected the head cover the student was wearing and told him he had to cut his hair (because it was in 'braids' and not in its 'natural state'). If that doesn't smack of racism, I don't know what does. That referee, by the way, had been investigated the year prior for directing a racial epithet at a black official.

Racism ? 

Surely the student was white ? 

Oh.. of course.. in which case.. he should have been charged with Cultural Appropriation. Gotcha ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
7 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

prior guilt does not compound current guilt or innocence, though it does infer. I am just saying that if his hair was ok n some official inspection before the match, it should have been ok at his match.

It infers a great deal. The student's hairstyle had not been an issue prior to this incident. He was also wearing an appropriate head cover. So you do the math.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Racism ? 

Surely the student was white ? 

Oh.. of course.. in which case.. he should have been charged with Cultural Appropriation. Gotcha ! 

Or cultural appreciation! The student is black by the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 1/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

No, Musk is not an African American. Perhaps a South African American, but not an African American. The latter is a specific ethnic group (largely the descendents of slaves) and primarily of black African ancestry, although many have non-black ancestors as well. I very much agree with your last statement, however.

No, it is a term used for people who have african ancestry, just like Irish american is used for people who have Irish ancestry.  the color of the skin is not implied in the name.  You could distinguish between african immigrant and born citizen with african ancestry.  So Elon Musk's kids would be african american because their ancestors lived in africa and that is where their father came from.  Why do you have to make someone with a different skin color separate from you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, it is a term used for people who have african ancestry, just like Irish american is used for people who have Irish ancestry.  the color of the skin is not implied in the name.  You could distinguish between african immigrant and born citizen with african ancestry.  So Elon Musk's kids would be african american because their ancestors lived in africa and that is where their father came from.  Why do you have to make someone with a different skin color separate from you? 

The colour of the skin is indeed implied, and that colour is BLACK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The colour of the skin is indeed implied, and that colour is BLACK.

Only because you think it matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Only because you think it matters.

Only because African American has a specific meaning.

Suggest you look up the term before jumping to inane conclusions about what I think matters.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Grammatical correction.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
On 1/24/2020 at 11:22 AM, and then said:

Thank goodness!  I thought maybe the Ref blew a fuse over "cultural appropriation"  <_<

While in Montego Bay some local women offered to braid my hair.  A hundred bucks later and (I guess) I was culturally bestowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Some of the threads are like dropping a candy bar on an ant hill. Ooh, look at them go! It's a frenzy!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
On 1/23/2020 at 7:43 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The student made it through pre-match inspection. The referee (who did not raise concerns at that stage) decided to make an issue of the student's dreadlocks just when the student took to the mat. He rejected the head cover the student was wearing and told him he had to cut his hair (because it was in 'braids' and not in its 'natural state'). If that doesn't smack of racism, I don't know what does. That referee, by the way, had been investigated the year prior for directing a racial epithet at a black official.

do you see racism everywhere??? it sure seems so from your post. you are obsessed with racism, you find it everywhere imaginable. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
41 minutes ago, aztek said:

do you see racism everywhere??? it sure seems so from your post. you are obsessed with racism, you find it everywhere imaginable. 

That's the interesting thing about racism. The non-racists see it; the racists don't.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That's the interesting thing about racism. The non-racists see it; the racists don't.

sure, keep saying yourself that.  lol. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.