Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday Clock gets historic 2020 update

Still Waters

The iconic Doomsday Clock symbolizing the gravest perils facing humankind is now closer to midnight than at any point since its creation in 1947. To underscore the need for action, the time on the Doomsday Clock is now being expressed in seconds, rather than minutes: Today, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists’ Science and Security Board in consultation with the Bulletin’s Board of Sponsors, which includes 13 Nobel Laureates, moved the Doomsday Clock from two minutes to midnight to 100 seconds to midnight.

https://thebulletin.org/2020/01/press-release-it-is-now-100-seconds-to-midnight/

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The same was said for the last 5 years ,doomed , doomed , I wish it would get down to midnight then we'll see how dooming bad the experts are at forecasting extinction. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

100 seconds, wow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

The same was said for the last 5 years ,doomed , doomed , I wish it would get down to midnight then we'll see how dooming bad the experts are at forecasting extinction. 

It's all down to the Bad Orange Man, dontchaknow?  I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to lay blame for the coronavirus on him at some point.  Childish, hateful asses that they are...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Fear Mongering.

Yup. I mean, I know the world is pretty ****ed. We all know that. Deep down, even the delusional who think everything is fine know it too. This metaphorical doomsday clock is total fear mongering, however. Setting it to 1 sec. til midnight (or putting it back to hours before midnight) still isn't going to change anything.

• Like 3

Grandstanding. Virtue Signalling.

From someone who's 50+ years old... Its been much worse. At least in regard to nuclear weapons.

This is a worthless metric, driven by political opinion, not real world activities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well, when midnight comes around, it’s the start of a whole new day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Suprise!! The problem is that there is no money or power in good news. These fools evidently don't remember the days when elementary school kids were taught to go into the hall get on their knees, close their eyes open their mouths and basically kiss their butts good bye. I was raise under the constant threat of nuclear war and the draft. They can stick their clock where the sun don't shine. Things are a lot better than they were.

• Like 5

Well a nuclear war with Iran would end in mere second with a Persian no man land and maybe a small blow elsewhere but nothing more...The biggest problem would be paving the way for using nuclear weapon for other thing than mutual destruction.

Still this doomsday clock is a pile of crap...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

So....is it like when you were young trying to make fun by not finishing your countdown ? 3, 2, 1 1/2 , 1 .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I too remember doing drills to hide under tables and desks. Do kids still do that? NO??!! OMG!! You mean people arent glued to their phone/TV constantly in fear of some nuclear war? 

If anything they should move the clock back to like 9 PM.

I do however remember reading that the Doom Clock people are including "Global Warming" in their decisions. Because so many people were calling them out as idiots.

• Like 2

This is sadly like so much of the so called science that we have today. Real science starts with a question and then through clear unbiased research answers are found. I say unbiased because in real science you just want answers and are willing to accept whatever is found to be fact.

So much of today's science is fake science because they start with an answer and then hunt ways to prove that answer or at least make it appear that the answer is correct. Saccharin the sweetener was banned for a while thanks to EXTREMELY flawed and biased research that was paid for by the sugar manufacturers. When the same questions were ASKED later the original findings were found to be fraudulent and saccharin was reintroduced into the market under a new name (Sweet and Low). 

Saccharin was found to be dangerous by force feeding rats an insane amount equivalent to a person eating several pounds of it a day for a long period of time. At one point the government paid to have "scientists" prove that marijuana was dangerous and physically harmful. In the end they killed monkeys via smoke inhalation. The experiment was set up in such a way that the substance that was burned to make the point was irrelevant.  Leave or grass trimmings would have killed them just as surely.

This clock scam is like so much of today's science. They are seeking power or money and not knowledge. There is BIG money in bad news. You can scare people into giving you money. People and governments have always used fear to get people to give them power. True science should not be a part to this sort of thing but the fact is that money RULES science now. The days of some individual making big ground breaking discoveries in a simple home based lab are past. Science now is rulled by industry and the big Universities that are totally money motivated. While this is understood as a necessity you have to take anything that you hear with a grain of salt. Follow the money trail...Who paid for the research?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I too remember doing drills to hide under tables and desks. idiots.

Did the same.   A lot of good that would have done living iin North Jersey a few miles from NYC'

On 1/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Grey Area said:

Well, when midnight comes around, it’s the start of a whole new day.

At least it will be a damned quiet neighborhood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WVK said:

Did the same.   A lot of good that would have done living iin North Jersey a few miles from NYC'

An A-bomb in the chemical district of my hometown would have engulfed all the local schools in the fireball.  No point of even holding a drill.  I think we did one or maybe two, just to say we did something.  The whole point of those drills was that buildings farther from the blast could collapse and the best defense against that would be to take refuge under something that might produce a pocket of protection.  That was the theory.  But would rescuers ever come?

Our hospitals are in the middle of big cities where they are most-likely to be destroyed when needed most.  The doctors and nurses will be the first ones to die.

It can take several pints of blood to save one patient.  What would we do with tens of thousands of patients?

Rural areas will be expected to feed and house people from likely target cities.  Colorado Springs will be moved to Durango given sufficient warning.  But most people don't have enough gas in their car to make the trip.  Do we think gas station attendants are going to sacrifice their lives for those who didn't plan ahead?  Durango could feed Colorado Springs for maybe three days.  Then what?  A group of locals knowledgeable in blasting said they would blow US-160 off the mountain in order to save their families.  The local Civil Defense designated my doghouse as sleeping quarters for two people.  I couldn't even get the dog to stay in it.

If worst comes to worst, we'll do what we can, but it is sheer lunacy to say that we can ever be prepared for a nuclear war.

And what if the combatants are India and Pakistan?  They have big enough arsenals to cause a world-wide nuclear winter.  We could be killed by a war we weren't even fighting.

And if we were fighting one?  We'd be killed by the climatic effects of our own weapons, even if the other side didn't shoot at us.

What about chemical tank ruptures, broken gas lines, ruptured tank cars, etc.?

The US has lost 11 nuclear bombs.  Seven here in the US and four overseas.  Most have been recovered, but not all.  There is one buried in the mud off the Carolina coast and another on a farm in Virginia.  The Air Force doesn't want to tell you they dropped an H-bomb on Albuquerque.  That type of bomb has six safety latches - five of them failed.  One safety latch between Albuquerque and Armageddon.

The Air Force lost a nuclear bomb.  The brass quietly sweated.  Then a lieutenant found a bomb in a warehouse and didn't recognize the numbers on it.  So he called up somebody who would know.  That bomb was in the Air Force's possession the entire time and is not one of the seven.

Weapons safety?  What's that?  The Navy rolled a truckload of torpedoes, right in the middle of the I-25/I-70 interchange.  What do they have against Denver?

There are two missing earthquake bombs lost when a suicidal airman flew his warthog into a mountainside.  The bombs weren't on it.  They have never been found.

Six nerve gas canisters were found in a dump on the Rocky Mountain Arsenal.  It was sarin - one the Germans developed to use on US.

And a few years ago, some kids found mustard gas canisters buried up at Oklahoma's Salt Flats State Park.

Those are the people who defend us from our enemies.  Who defends us from them?

The Doomsday Clock is a warning to do something before it is too late.  It is highly subjective, of course.  But it is a warning we ought to heed.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

Wasn't it one minute before twelve in 1975? They should bring these people to court for scaremongering and instigating mass psychosis on vulnerable members of the public.

Considering the alarmists started the thing at 7 minutes till midnight, then maybe two minutes isnt so bad? If they'd started it at noon, and it was now at 100 seconds... that would be very close by scale.

100 seconds out of 420 (7 minutes) seconds is just under 25% left.

Too bad the people of Krypton didnt have one of these Doomsday Clocks. They actually did destroy their planet. They were pulling energy from their planets core in the last superman film series.

Hopefully we dont get that far. IMHO, these people should be spending their money and time on engineering and financing fixing the issues rather then just trying to scare everyone into.... whatever the hell they're trying to scare us into... 

The article brags about how many Pulitzer prize winners are on the board, but I've not heard idea one out of any of these people other then political opinions. I'd like to see proposed de-nuclear plans. Environmental engineering plans. 

Hell many of these same prize winning people are PRO-nuke for Iran. They're part of the dang problem....