Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boredom/ Existential crisis/ 26

spartan max2

Good day, 

I decided to post this here because it's the only social media I have that no one I know in person will see it.

Basically I've had this feeling growing for the late year - boredom.

I graduated grad school about a year ago. My job has been good and steady. My GF is going steady (3 years now). I no longer really feel stressed about time or money. Able to play video games as much as I want a good group of freinds. No crazy health programs yet. 

Everything is comfortable. But I find myself feeling bored and having an existential crisis. The feeling has been growing in the last year.

It might be compounding because my 26 birthday is in a week. 

I know this sounds stupid to alot of people, but like, how do you deal with this?

I can't help but just feel dread that this is kind of it. Just going to work consistently. Everything being comfortable but no longer really anything big to do.

I hope I explained this well enough. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm 37 and life is boring and pointless.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Good day, 

I decided to post this here because it's the only social media I have that no one I know in person will see it.

Basically I've had this feeling growing for the late year - boredom.

I graduated grad school about a year ago. My job has been good and steady. My GF is going steady (3 years now). I no longer really feel stressed about time or money. Able to play video games as much as I want a good group of freinds. No crazy health programs yet. 

Everything is comfortable. But I find myself feeling bored and having an existential crisis. The feeling has been growing in the last year.

I know this sounds stupid to alot of people, but like, how do you deal with this?

I can't help but just feel dread that this is kind of it. Just going to work consistently. Everything being comfortable but no longer really anything big to do.

I hope I explained this well enough. 

What are your thoughts on spiritual things? What or is there a purpose to life?

• Like 2

I'm never bored. Randomly pick ten members here and look at profile hobbies. Perhaps you'll find something you like. Expand your horizons.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I'm 37 and life is boring and pointless.  

Do you think that feeling is more common in atheist-materialist types? 

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I suppose the lack of imaginary friends would make life more boring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

I suppose the lack of imaginary friends would make life more boring.

Sounds like someone with a put-down attitude. And it's more than 'imaginary friends' but also a realization that we are more than the physical body with limitless growth ahead.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I'm atheist and never bored. But I suppose having kids to suck the life outta you has that effect...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, sci-nerd said:

I'm atheist and never bored. But I suppose having kids to suck the life outta you has that effect...

I can believe that. But I was speaking in general that atheism-materialism is a more depressing life-sucking philosophy than its counterparts.

Sounds like someone with a put-down attitude. And it's more than 'imaginary friends' but also a realization that we are more than the physical body with limitless growth ahead.

That too, a magical journey after you snuff it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Rlyeh said:

That too, a magical journey after you snuff it.  

I guess I'm not clear on what you mean.

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I can believe that. But I was speaking in general that atheism-materialism is a more depressing life-sucking philosophy than its counterparts.

Not at all. Science is super exciting! I mean it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess I'm not clear on what you mean.

It should be clear, you brought up unlimited personal growth despite the fact we die.

I don't doubt life is less boring when you convince yourself of all kinds of wonderous bull****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

At 26 I  was running amok. Worked 3-5 months out of the year as a bodyguard and spent the rest of the time doing things I loved, and sometimes got paid for them too.

• Like 3

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Not at all. Science is super exciting! I mean it!

Again my discussion is 'in general'. sci-nerd may be non-general.

Just now, Rlyeh said:

It should be clear, you brought up unlimited personal growth despite the fact we die.

I don't doubt life is less boring when you convince yourself of all kinds of wonderous bull****.

I don't suggest anyone believe something they honestly and intellectually believe is bull****. The atheist-materialist outlook is just 'what it is' for atheist-materialists. But I am getting at the OP question on the subject of existentialist crisis. I think one's philosophy is a factor in how strongly this is experienced. Some philosophies are more life-sucking than life-affirming in comparison.

I don't suggest anyone believe something they honestly and intellectually believe is bull****.

No, I'm calling it bs.

The atheist-materialist outlook is just 'what it is' for atheist-materialists. But I am getting at the OP question on the subject of existentialist crisis. I think one's philosophy is a factor in how strongly this is experienced. Some philosophies are more life-sucking than life-affirming in comparison.

I agree, and my point is if he believed God speaks to him or gave him some magical purpose his life may be more exciting.

6 minutes ago, iridescence said:

Maybe you should try another job or work as a freelancer? When I was employed I felt the same. Not all people are satisfied with a typical lifestyle.

I never punched a clock my entire life, but I did belong to a large farming family. Took what college courses which took my fancy and my "vacations" were digs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rlyeh said:

I agree, and my point is if he believed God speaks to him or gave him some magical purpose his life may be more exciting.

We agree then. 

(or even if he held a Pantheistic (non-dual) view where he is the eternal God spark expanding his consciousness would make life more exciting)

42 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

What are your thoughts on spiritual things? What or is there a purpose to life?

I'm an atheist. I used to be spiritual until it stopped making sense to me.

I personally don't think the atheism really helps my happiness, no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iridescence said:

Maybe you should try another job or work as a freelancer? When I was employed I felt the same. Not all people are satisfied with a typical lifestyle.

Are you unemployed now? What do you mean when you were employed ?

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm an atheist. I used to be spiritual until it stopped making sense to me.

I personally don't think the atheism really helps my happiness, no.

That is good honesty.

32 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Haha. Me and the GF are considering a little freak in the future, the problem is both of us would hate not working and becoming a stay at home parent, so we might end up not being able to. 

Edited by spartan max2

Sounds kinda like a Quarter Life Crisis in a way.

I had the same thing happen to me when I turned 25. I had been with the same woman and job for years and felt stuck. Life was just a repetitive series of events that rarely altered in any significant way. I didn't feel this feeling ease until my life drastically changed. I got married trying to just progress something in my life. A few years later my misery pushed my wife and friends away. I got divorced and began drinking heavily and running around. That's when the feeling eased and i "found myself" and realized I was feeling the way I was before because I was not living life for myself. 

I'm still especially depressed on a daily basis but in a different way. Hope my story helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1