Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boredom/ Existential crisis/ 26

spartan max2

27 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I'm making fun of my own ;)

Oh, ok.  I get that.  They do suck a lot of energy, but you can't correlate that with boredom.  They will keep things very busy and entertaining, and frustrating.

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I disagree with that.  I am not a follower of any religion and I don't believe any deity is controlling anything so I am classified as an atheist, though I do agree with you that there is more to life and being human than just the physical.  Your assumptions are the same as the bible thumpers and just as incorrect.

I’ll stay with what I said. Are sure you understand what the term ‘materialist’ means in this context and in my comment.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I’ll stay with what I said. Are sure you understand what the term ‘materialist’ means in this context and in my comment.

Then use the term materialist instead of "atheist".

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

They will keep things very busy and entertaining, and frustrating.

Well, when things are like that, you're not bored. That was my point.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, spartan max2 said:

Good day, 

I decided to post this here because it's the only social media I have that no one I know in person will see it.

Basically I've had this feeling growing for the late year - boredom.

I graduated grad school about a year ago. My job has been good and steady. My GF is going steady (3 years now). I no longer really feel stressed about time or money. Able to play video games as much as I want a good group of freinds. No crazy health programs yet. 

Everything is comfortable. But I find myself feeling bored and having an existential crisis. The feeling has been growing in the last year.

It might be compounding because my 26 birthday is in a week. 

I know this sounds stupid to alot of people, but like, how do you deal with this?

I can't help but just feel dread that this is kind of it. Just going to work consistently. Everything being comfortable but no longer really anything big to do.

I hope I explained this well enough. 

The feeling of boredom, the feeling there must be more to life, and the feeling that something isn't quite right but you cannot put your finger on it, are experienced by everyone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, spartan max2 said:

Good day, 

I decided to post this here because it's the only social media I have that no one I know in person will see it.

Basically I've had this feeling growing for the late year - boredom.

I graduated grad school about a year ago. My job has been good and steady. My GF is going steady (3 years now). I no longer really feel stressed about time or money. Able to play video games as much as I want a good group of freinds. No crazy health programs yet. 

Everything is comfortable. But I find myself feeling bored and having an existential crisis. The feeling has been growing in the last year.

It might be compounding because my 26 birthday is in a week. 

I know this sounds stupid to alot of people, but like, how do you deal with this?

I can't help but just feel dread that this is kind of it. Just going to work consistently. Everything being comfortable but no longer really anything big to do.

I hope I explained this well enough. 

Great thread.

I wonder if boredom is an expression of the existential crisis? I think it is....and I would take boredom one step further, because boredom is a thing commonly, when one has nothing to do at the moment.  You know, waiting in line, the doctors office, etc.

But with my existential crisis (more than one and currently ongoing) it’s not that I’m actually bored because I have more than enough to do.  It’s just that I don’t want to do anything right now.  Nothing....well, except for a few things.  Like numbing myself out of my misery....but aside from that, in normal state of mind......the things I normally love to do, or don’t mind doing, become less meaningful or important to me and can even seem like a chore.  

So yeah.....what you’re saying is real.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, my.  I am expecting to have a less boring life when I retire.  Lots of projects and travel planned.

11 years ago at the age of 60 i was unemployed and the Jobcentre asked me if I'd like to take early retirement, so I said yes and have never been happier in my life, I'm truly free at last..:D

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Crikey said:

11 years ago at the age of 60 i was unemployed and the Jobcentre asked me if I'd like to take early retirement, so I said yes and have never been happier in my life, I'm truly free at last..:D

Yeah, we don't have that option in the U.S. unless we have some kind of "golden parachute" like a huge savings account or a real retirement plan (almost non-existent for middle class nowadays).

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Crikey said- "11 years ago at the age of 60 i was unemployed and the Jobcentre asked me if I'd like to take early retirement, so I said yes and have never been happier in my life, I'm truly free at last

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, we don't have that option in the U.S. unless we have some kind of "golden parachute" like a huge savings account or a real retirement plan (almost non-existent for middle class nowadays).

I  get standard Brit Pension/Pension Credit of about 170 GB pounds (195 US dollars) per week, and Housing Benefit pays all my rent so I'm sitting pretty and have got more money than I know what to do with, and I live alone with no dependents so I can spend every penny on myself..:D

PS- hop on a plane and come stay in my spare room for a break, I live on Plymouth's cobblestoned New St, it's 700 years old and there were 6 ghosts up and down the street at the last count, I've lived here 16 years but I haven't seen any yet, they don't dare mess with me..:P

American tourists LURV the street and ask me "Hey buddy, does this street pre-date the English Civil War?"

"Yes mate" I reply, "in fact it pre-dates America"..

Below:New St-

NewStPlymC.gif

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1