Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Orestes_3113

God (Ask Me Anything)

180 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Sherapy
Just now, Mark Sanders said:

Yes I am talking facts. But facts do not directly imply causality we might be stuck with correlation and probability.

Okay, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
43 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

X.  What is the inspiration for the  new avatars as of late?

I get tired of seeing the same thing all the time. Plus I liked the way it looked. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skirnum

Without the unknown we can learn nothing. Without the unknown, everything would have been known from birth to death. It seems to me that we are born open, but that most people close themselves in with their limited ideas as they think they understand life.

In Old Norse mythology, Loki is a picture of the closed mind and heart. Loki is one who turns his cloak after the wind and thus is seen as an effect only of his rational mind. But Loki never got to know or to feel the unknown.

To accept the unknown as a reality are of the logical kind. Then it is also possible to get to know the unknown, because that is the nature of experience. But one have to experience the unknown, in the same way that one must taste a strawberry. A story can do nothing but stir the imagination, which can lead to many kinds of beliefs. One must experience for oneself and to do that we must seek . In order to seek, one must be open to the unknown.

 

Seek and find  :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Ah, cryptic conundrums and cotton candy mysticism. i'll make popcorn. Seriously, I noticed how quickly specificity devolved into vague generalities. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
6 minutes ago, iridescence said:

Nietzsche said "God is dead". What if god is death?

Have you read his works?

Edited by Sherapy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
3 minutes ago, iridescence said:

I've read "Beyond Good and Evil" but that happened a long time ago. Why?

Just curious, like to know who the readers of philosophy are have you read Gay Science?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Has anyone read Micrososmic God by Theodore Sturgeon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The door is closed because after 20 or so years of testing God, there was nothing. No angels, no demons, no spirits, nothing but figments of the human imagination. I did more than most people in regards to faith. The result, disappointment. 

Not this dumb schiessen again ? Why did you go 20 years instead of 19 ? You like round numbers ?

Edited by Habitat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
5 hours ago, iridescence said:

Nietzsche said "God is dead". What if god is death?

Very interesting question.  According to physics....death should be the end of the universe, if it be a closed system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Has anyone read Micrososmic God by Theodore Sturgeon?

Nope.  Did you mean Spurgeon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver

What’s with all these weird book remomendations?  Can’t you make a point off what you have read?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver

If I were to ask God an interesting question right now....I would ask, do we live on after we die in these bodies?

What do you think Mark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

What’s with all these weird book remomendations?  Can’t you make a point off what you have read?

Is making a point on UM possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Is making a point on UM possible?

Of course.

Its just that soon after you make, people will start talking about people again....or something beside your point.

Sigh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
26 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Nope.  Did you mean Spurgeon?

No that's the correct spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
15 hours ago, Mark Sanders said:

Ask me anything

The age old question:

If God is all powerful...can he create a rock to heavy for him to lift?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No that's the correct spelling.

Not familiar with it.  What was your take-away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
38 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Of course.

Its just that soon after you make, people will start talking about people again....or something beside your point.

Sigh.

Even when you make a valid point there is always someone to try an shoot it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
15 minutes ago, joc said:

The age old question:

If God is all powerful...can he create a rock to heavy for him to lift?

Really?  Weak.  What do you think....if you could make it....could you figure out a way to lift it?  Bettcha could.  Ancient humans figured out how lift and move carved stones weighing dozens of tons.  Up to 120 if memory serves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
Just now, XenoFish said:

Even when you make a valid point there is always someone to try an shoot it down. 

Well, that is true.

And, I don’t mind that if people are making logical arguments because it gives you something to think about and apply your understanding or research it for yourself - thereby learning something new.

What bothers me is when people use this place to inflate their egos...or gain affirmation.  

I get that we all have issues....and would like to work through them....but stroking one’s ego is not going to help that.

Anyway...that’s how I see it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Well, that is true.

And, I don’t mind that if people are making logical arguments because it gives you something to think about and apply your understanding or research it for yourself - thereby learning something new.

What bothers me is when people use this place to inflate their egos...or gain affirmation.  

I get that we all have issues....and would like to work through them....but stroking one’s ego is not going to help that.

Anyway...that’s how I see it.

 

 

Post your opinion and walk away. If people don't agree that's fine, if people question and want to discuss that's fine too. As for everyone else, meh. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There is no truth to religion. It is only a belief. A belief that people often wish to validate using science. I had thought about cutting believers some slack, be a bit more understanding in regards to their faith. I see now such a stance would be a mistake on my part. 

This implies that you think beliefs cannot be true.

Plus you say only a belief, when beliefs are (arguably) the most powerful component of humans, as individuals and as a species.

Ie it is our beliefs which make us who/what we are ( as individuals and as a species) , not our physical biology.   

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Really?  Weak.  What do you think....if you could make it....could you figure out a way to lift it?  Bettcha could.  Ancient humans figured out how lift and move carved stones weighing dozens of tons.  Up to 120 if memory serves.

It's an argument against being All Powerful...

If you can create a rock too heavy for you to lift...then you are not all powerful....because you cannot lift the rock.

If you cannot create a rock too heavy for you to lift...then you are not all powerful...because you cannot create a rock too heavy for you to lift.

It's a silly question...we're done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

There is no rock too heavy to lift, something is holding it right now !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orestes_3113
9 hours ago, Guyver said:

If I were to ask God an interesting question right now....I would ask, do we live on after we die in these bodies?

What do you think Mark?

From the duality we also get a sense of the 12, and also of the 7 lights, I can get more detailed on this but for brevity I won't. Through life experience and to study of history/astrology we can get a sense of the spiritual evolution of man. Death is but a transition. We are born with amnesia and then get trampled by the subjective opinions of the world. Our spirit will hold fast to what it considers truth however, even if this means ridicule. Whatever we accept as truth (and is true) cannot be denied for as long as the individual holds fast, this principle or truth is then incarnated into the flesh and subjected to 'the cross'. Truth always has a way of redeeming itself and so as we expand our consciousness more and more of 'God' gets incarnated into the flesh.

8 hours ago, joc said:

The age old question:

If God is all powerful...can he create a rock to heavy for him to lift?

Can a rock lift itself? Can you be moved?

7 hours ago, joc said:

It's an argument against being All Powerful...

If you can create a rock too heavy for you to lift...then you are not all powerful....because you cannot lift the rock.

If you cannot create a rock too heavy for you to lift...then you are not all powerful...because you cannot create a rock too heavy for you to lift.

It's a silly question...we're done.

Not silly, just a mental exercise to put someone into either of two extremes, it has nothing to do with knowledge or understanding. It is compareable to Jesus eating & drinking and John the Baptist's ascetic way of life, a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of deal.

Quote

16 “To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

17 “‘We played the pipe for you,
    and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
    and you did not mourn.’

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.” - Matthew 11:16-19

Edited by Mark Sanders
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.