Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zero is an invalid concept

Brian K

4 hours ago, quiXilver said:

with two apples or a dozen doughnuts, eating them does not negate them...

their forms and components are reconfigured... not negated

the apple flesh is transformed into human components replacing those that have decayed

all life (phenomenal reality) is constantly shifting... acquisition of more life through eating and the process of decay

Transmuting of the thought projections called matter is valid as a series of observable patterns, but it's not the reality of thought and emotion alone.  Momentary visual stimuli do not genuinely change, as previously stated with the film reel metaphor.  

11 hours ago, Brian K said:

A negative number, like an emotion, does not yield a zero state when met with its positive equivalent.  1 - 1 is positive 1 and negative 1.  To put it another way, 2 apples are on a table.  Take 1 away and that's 1 on the table and 1 in the hand.

I don't have any apples on the table.  I have never had apples on this table.  So how many apples are on the table?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I don't have any apples on the table.  I have never had apples on this table.  So how many apples are on the table?

The Mind, being neither spatial nor temporal, has everything Here as projected thought forms.  An idea of a table seemingly containing no apples is a case of The Mind dis-associating, not absence of the variable.  Besides, the projected table image is not the same from one immeasurably brief fraction of the idea of a second to the next.  That would be real passage of time if the table was a constant: an impossible division of Consciousness.  The ideas don't have anywhere to go, though.  They get repressed.   

1 minute ago, Brian K said:

The Mind, being neither spatial nor temporal, has everything Here as projected thought forms.  An idea of a table seemingly containing no apples is a case of The Mind dis-associating, not absence of the variable.  Besides, the projected table image is not the same from one immeasurably brief fraction of the idea of a second to the next.  That would be real passage of time if the table was a constant: an impossible division of Consciousness.  The ideas don't have anywhere to go, though.  They get repressed.   

You can't sidestep the answer.  And that's what you're doing... using "hand wavium" to attempt to say there's no such thing as zero.

If the mind hasn't projected the thought forms then there are zero thought forms to be had.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

You won't get a straight answer from this guy.  He is shiftier than a politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar just before an election.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

You can't sidestep the answer.  And that's what you're doing... using "hand wavium" to attempt to say there's no such thing as zero.

If the mind hasn't projected the thought forms then there are zero thought forms to be had.

I'll concede the point based on my hasty word choices, but there are never apples ON a table, since it's 2D projected imagery simulating 3D.  Not being possible to have apples on a table is no longer a question of quantity or absence.  

The imagery involving table approach, a hand on an apple, and eating it amounts to a series of 2D projections linked together, but not evidence of anything but simulated 3D, albeit amazing.  It would be a question of whether or not the design of the table has any apple-like features, which is as subjective as a Rorschach test given the inability to prove that "another's" perceptions are the same as one's own.

12 hours ago, Brian K said:

A negative number, like an emotion, does not yield a zero state when met with its positive equivalent.  1 - 1 is positive 1 and negative 1.  To put it another way, 2 apples are on a table.  Take 1 away and that's 1 on the table and 1 in the hand.

Now take another apple from the table, how many on the table?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, quiXilver said:

with two apples or a dozen doughnuts, eating them does not negate them...

their forms and components are reconfigured... not negated

the apple flesh is transformed into human components replacing those that have decayed

all life (phenomenal reality) is constantly shifting... acquisition of more life through eating and the process of decay

How many apples on the table if you take the two?

• Like 1

Is this really happening, this thread ? Has to be a glitch of some kind !

11 minutes ago, Brian K said:

The imagery involving table approach, a hand on an apple, and eating it amounts to a series of 2D projections linked together, but not evidence of anything but simulated 3D, albeit amazing.  It would be a question of whether or not the design of the table has any apple-like features, which is as subjective as a Rorschach test given the inability to prove that "another's" perceptions are the same as one's own.

The mental gymnastics you need to perform to defend your asinine logic.

• Thanks 1

Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush still ? I really don't understand these new maths.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush still ? I really don't understand these new maths.

Notice that common core math criticism hasn't been flooding social media of late.  It has merit for dealing in the abstract rather than mindless memorization and regurgitation.  With that said, idioms are all about artful symbolic speech, but there are no birds IN hands or bushes.  A thick bush revealing no visual of a bird is at best an auditory hallucination of one.

There was one heavily criticized word problem in common core to the effect of, "How do you get 12 from 10+5?"  The answer was to take away 3.  If that was a carpenter needing 7 and 5 or 10 and 2 foot pieces of wood for a space, cutting off 3 feet from the applicable board would be perfectly reasonable.  Finally, the calculations in theoretical math are meaningless since the dynamic shifts through static projected variables amount at best to reliable patterns, not constants.   

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

42 :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Zero has worked for countless centuries and even sent us to the far reaches of space. It is tried and true.

Space missions are being projected by The Mind in the moment regardless of any calculations.  It's a difference of thought vibration toward the perception of them based on an available means, which is what you're discussing, versus what is being imagined regardless of the idea of the recent or distant past.  One with a large enough model rocket could get it into space by determining a sensible launch window and steer to the appropriate angle of ascent without doing any math.  That it might take thousands of attempts doesn't change anything.   

I appreciate your respectful feedback, but it's a classic case of 'post hoc, ergo propter hoc' to credit a math concept with what is happening no matter the means to the end.  Last year Mike Rowe posted a vlog about various people needing to thank the pig for their path to success.  Touching story, but the same fallacy is involved.  

See the source image

• Haha 1

The OP is what happens when someone mentally mastubates thinking it makes them look smart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the apple are gone, all the doughnuts are gone. I'm going to stop buy groceries for ya'll. It's made my bank account $0.00.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Brian K said:

If a bank account has no funds or one is bankrupt, that's complete wealth dissociation.

"No down payment" still establishes a financial contract, and the idea of the future is right now, but involving countless shifts through various thought forms, so the money is being paid now, regardless.  Real passage of time would be an impossible division of Consciousness.  All of the proverbial frames are on the metaphorical film reel and are being projected by The Mind without actual space.  If The Mind is not imagining something among the myriad momentary static imagery and auditory stimuli being patterned together, then it isn't possible.

One is always a friend to oneself and can only be in denial of that, repressing self respect rather than lacking it.  With "others" being one's thought projections, experienced on a dissociative basis with or without memory, one only ever has one friend and cannot have zero friends.  A former acquaintance who owned potbelly pigs as pets said that they have zero guilt while I was on the subject.  Nope.  Repression.  One has every emotion happening simultaneously and subconsciously induces amnesia in order to experience polarity.

Not even in calculation is zero necessary, setting aside validity for the practicality of performing long division and such.  With T for ten, H for hundred, K for thousand, TK, TH, M... B... T... Q...U (Quintillion) S, P (Septillion), O, N... a calculator could have alpha characters as a complement to the numeric.  NNN, for example, would take the place of ninety zeroes. 

As for binary, that's not truly zeroes and ones, but on or off / true or false. 

Your proposal has zero credibility :)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Brian K said:

I'll concede the point based on my hasty word choices, but there are never apples ON a table, since it's 2D projected imagery simulating 3D.  Not being possible to have apples on a table is no longer a question of quantity or absence.  

So there is such a thing as zero, then.

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

So there is such a thing as zero, then.

No.  Impossibility isn't quantifiable.  Here is all that is.  What's there?  "There" is not so.  Therefore, it would be erroneous to say that there's nothing there.

7 hours ago, kartikg said:

Omg I want this same thing extended to imaginary numbers and see where this discussion leads to. 

You may want to start your own thread since this one is being flamed with ad hominem. 

I noticed the following reference: "Imaginary numbers are distinguished from real numbers because a squared imaginary number produces a negative real number." 

Subtraction assumes that a positive number can be reduced, including to zero or less, which is false.  Nothing is created or destroyed, but nor does anything transmute, because that's a form of change, of which there is none within myriad static images linked together dynamically via cognitive and emotional responses.  Dissociation is what happens in reality, not subtraction, especially since the variables with which one begins in a practical application are no longer the same in less "time" than it takes to blink. 

I haven't studied imaginary numbers, but as for matter versus antimatter, as an alleged theory about negative values, one is only dealing in thought forms, not solidity or any antithesis to it, so any apparent disappearance that might be perceived were one to deal in what seems like legitimate antimatter destroying matter, it would only amount to a perception shift toward neutralization simulation.  

13 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The OP is what happens when someone mentally mastubates thinking it makes them look smart.

The only intelligence I recognize is emotional apart from the grandeur of the momentary dream experience, in which I play a largely passive role in an amnesiac state.  All else is memory.

Back to the apple and table analogy, since the table is a 2D image and cannot contain anything in any way (Unquantifiable impossibility), if one hallucinates one or more apples while looking at the table, they're also not on, in, or near the table, but are being viewed simultaneous to the table, which is no more or less valid than seeing apples and a table seemingly corroborated by "another."  Anyway, corroboration is a crutch, not a boon in an isolated dissociative state. 

Not every uncorroborated perception is hallucination, namely having differing memories of the idea of the past.  When I studied astronomy in college, James Licht was the one for whom the observatory was named.  By the time I'd moved to San Jose 5 years later, it was James Lick, and to the best of my knowledge still is.  That isn't false memory because no perceptions are false.  That would be akin to calling a detour a false road.  My story, or what those in sci-fi circles might call a timeline, changed. 

Discussing people and events is not respectively mediocre or average as claimed, but nor is discussing ideas a measure of exceptionalism.  Ideas are still memories drawn from one's undissociated self, not intelligence.  A gossip who thoroughly enjoys learning and talking about other people is in a better state of emotional health than the ideologue or idealist who believes that he / she is "enlightening" anyone other than him / herself.