Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are animals "paranormal detectors"?

Crikey

We hear of animals sometimes acting funny as if they can sense a spooky "presence" or something, and I'm just wondering if any UM members have noticed this with their pets?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nah, my Mom's cat will gaze past her and we say she is watching Mom's guardian angels, but, I have never had this issue, despite many years working with some pretty intense things and maintaining what some would claim were really dark practices and altars. If anything, I had one active altar that my only animal issue was that my cats were obsessed with laying on it - pita and I had to move it into a side room apart from them because it offended me. The lwa there liked them, I suspect.

That is it, though. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Crikey said:

We hear of animals sometimes acting funny as if they can sense a spooky "presence" or something, and I'm just wondering if any UM members have noticed this with their pets?

Dogs and cats definitely see things most of us don't.

I lived in a haunted house throughout my childhood, and we always had trouble hanging onto our pets.

I'll never forget... one of the cats we had:

He suddenly froze, watched something move from one end of the living room to the other, then scratched at the door to get out and never came back!

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

When my dog had to be put down at the vets, my mother stayed at home and she heard the neighbour's dogs howling at the exact same time our dog was put down.  She said that moment upset her more than her own divorce.  When my old cat passed away in the bedroom upstairs, I sensed that she was dead just moments before I stepped into the room and saw her dead.  There could be hidden abilities that are yet to be discovered within all living creatures.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 6

In his book "Tumbledown" about the Falklands War, Lt Robert Lawrence says that when he eventually got home, he learnt that the family dog had been whimpering all night long at home in England while he'd been fighting a battle and was shot in the head (he survived), so maybe the dog sensed the trauma he was going through.

• Like 4

Seems we are talking of different things. My animals and pets were never troubled by anything like spirits or energies that I ever noted, through many years of working with the occult and twenty as a Vodou Asogwe (working priest). I was warned by those who taught me that this spirit or that one was bad to animals but, I never saw it. Then again, I would never have tolerated it, and I suspect THAT made the difference, as I think very differently these days about what makes a spirit and what they really are. I won't go into that here.

This is not the same question as do I think they have spirits. I definitely do think they have spirits, though more than that I cannot say - I prefer to talk about things I know well, and I do not know much about that aspect, but, I have seen my passed on pets around, sensed them, dreamed of them enough to think they do go onward. 

Certainly, I hope they do and that we can all be together again for at least a wonderful hug and romp when we see things clearly.

I have rescued countless animals and worked with many over the years. Some were closer than others to me by far. I find your story from "Tumbledown" believable for a few of them :) 

Best thing in life is a great pet. People I can take or leave, generally, but, life without my dogs or the occasional cat or macaw, not worth doing.

• Like 5

When I was a kid we had a small, loving dog who had followed me home from the grocery store as a puppy. I named her Spunky and we kept her, after a fruitless search for the original owners. She was very loving and protective. In those days my dad and his brothers, my uncles, shared ownership of a large  lake cabin with a double-lot in south central Minnesota originally owned by my grandfather who was  my dad's father. I called him Papa. My family often stayed at that cabin in the summer months. Anyway, when you opened the front door there were stairs going up into the living room, and right beside the door was a full-length window looking outside. Eventually our little dog, Spunky, took to standing at the top of the stairs and barking wildly at the front door. I would often check outside for a person or animal, but never saw anything. Some years later my mom shared her suspicion that Spunky was seeing the spirit of my grandfather, who in life wasn't exactly the easiest man to love.

As it turned out Spunky lived with us for many years. When she died a neighbor at the lake made a small wooden coffin for her and my dad buried her next to a garden in the front yard of our lake cabin. I still vividly remember little Spunky to this day. She's still there in the front yard of the lake cabin. She was a special and loving companion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think animals have great intuition when it comes to danger and protecting their families.I don't think they are any better than sensitive humans though

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

When I was a kid we had a small, loving dog who had followed me home from the grocery store as a puppy. I named her Spunky and we kept her, after a fruitless search for the original owners. She was very loving and protective. In those days my dad and his brothers, my uncles, shared ownership of a large  lake cabin with a double-lot in south central Minnesota originally owned by my grandfather who was  my dad's father. I called him Papa. My family often stayed at that cabin in the summer months. Anyway, when you opened the front door there were stairs going up into the living room, and right beside the door was a full-length window looking outside. Eventually our little dog, Spunky, took to standing at the top of the stairs and barking wildly at the front door. I would often check outside for a person or animal, but never saw anything. Some years later my mom shared her suspicion that Spunky was seeing the spirit of my grandfather, who in life wasn't exactly the easiest man to love.

As it turned out Spunky lived with us for many years. When she died a neighbor at the lake made a small wooden coffin for her and my dad buried her next to a garden in the front yard of our lake cabin. I still vividly remember little Spunky to this day. She's still there in the front yard of the lake cabin. She was a special and loving companion.

Since dogs have an incredible sense of smell, do you  think it possible that Spunky smelled something at the top of the stairs?   Do you know where Papa died?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Since dogs have an incredible sense of smell, do you  think it possible that Spunky smelled something at the top of the stairs?   Do you know where Papa died?

Papa died in a hospital near the small town where he and my grandmother, Nana, lived. My parents, my sister, and I visited him in the hospital the night he died. By the next morning he had passed. I'm willing to believe Spunky just saw a critter dart by, even though it was night and pitch black out there.

• Thanks 1

Many years ago there was a family with a young special-needs child who died at home.  The family lived in a rural area just outside a large town and they had a goose, some dogs, and perhaps other animals.   It was told when the boy died all the dogs began barking and the goose began honking loudly.   They knew what happened with the boy, so yes animals sense the paranormal.

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Papa died in a hospital near the small town where he and my grandmother, Nana, lived. My parents, my sister, and I visited him in the hospital the night he died. By the next morning he had passed. I'm willing to believe Spunky just saw a critter dart by, even though it was night and pitch black out there.

Yeah, dogs can see really well at night too.  My Lab sees things, at night... probably the eyes of a critter...and let's you know something is out there.

Animals do have interesting perceptive abilities. I recall a few years ago, that certain dogs were shown to be able to detect cancers at an early stage in humans, that diagnostic tests could not. Not a lot more has been heard of that, and the cynic in me wonders if doctors didn't like the idea of dogs muscling in on the business. Recently I saw on a news program a woman talking about how she was feeding her cattle wastage from vegetable packing sheds, as a feed supplement during the drought. She said they would eat any of it, except chilis, but went nuts over coriander. That got me thinking, there must be something especially nutritious in it. I'll pick some up next time at the supermarket.

Are cats and dogs meant to be the spiritual guardians and protectors of the ancient Pharaohs?  On a related note I often hear that Muslims regard black dogs as evil and unclean and over the years there have been reports of dogs being killed, blind men told to get off buses because their guide dogs were upsetting the Muslim passengers, and even Muslim bus drivers not permitting guide dogs on their buses, and also petitions to ban dogs from public parks in Muslim communities in Britain.  I guess it is all due to the ridiculous superstitions that are passed down to each generation.  Whenever I walk my dog down the street everyone responds to him welcomingly, except for Muslims, as I can easily see them react differently as they avoid eye contact with the dog and on several occasions they step onto the road and even cross the road to avoid him.  What gives?

Story about guide dogs and Islamic superstitions.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/canine-corner/201003/dogs-and-islam-the-devil-and-the-seeing-eye-dog

Edited by Aaron2016

I believe dogs are the first to know if something is out of place.

On time a dog started barking in a field where no one was around, just me and my dad. We don't know whose dog it belong too.

But it kept on barking at bright empty clear sky.

All a sudden there was a flash of lightning but no sound, no rain, no clouds. Out of this lightning was a tiny what look like a craft. Slowly it hoovered then it disappeared. 

My dad dont worry and don't mention it to anyone. Because my dad was in the army at that time, he knew trouble would come along to those who mentions anything like this.

But it been about 30 years now, so maybe I'm safe to mention it once.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If we are being totally honest until our pets are able to hold conversations we will never know.  It is possible that they see/sense things that we as humans do not or appear to see/sense something we believe we have sensed/seen but we just do not know.   I used to have a male cat that would go berserk running up and down the stairs and going for anyone who got near him at pretty much the same time every night, why I have no idea maybe he was just letting of excess energy or seeing sensing something I really have no clue.

Edited by TashaMarie
To add word

On 1/25/2020 at 4:33 PM, Crikey said:

Just last night the cat was on my lap and she suddenly sat up with wide eyes and stared at something behind me for about 30 seconds before she jumped off my lap and went to a different part of the room.  I looked but did not see anything.  I have no clue if she is crazy because she is a cat or if she actually saw something.  My dogs have never done anything like that that I have noticed.

• Like 1

It is said that Cats especially black ones awards evil spirits. Yes cats can see spirits

1 minute ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It is said that Cats especially black ones awards evil spirits. Yes cats can see spirits

"awards evil spirits", does that mean they have an affinity for evil?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

"awards evil spirits", does that mean they have an affinity for evil?

It's my auto correction Who made ward into award :-) cats wards off evil spirits

1 hour ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It's my auto correction Who made ward into award :-) cats wards off evil spirits

OK.  That makes more sense.  Thanks.

!MUST WATCH!

I climbed to the roof of my school out of boredom today. I was walking around when i cought this in the corner of my eye. Here is The video, its too much data to upload here

I have asked alot of people, our physics teacher among others, and nobody has come with an explenation. If the resolution on the video isnt good enough, you can contact me and i will send it to you directly.

Edited by David20o2
More info

13 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

While it would make perfect evolutionary sense for domesticated animals to develop an enhanced awareness and sense of perception of their human masters, i.e "The hand that feeds them" ...The problem I have with stories of telepathy and "distanced cognition" like the stories of, say, a dog 2000 miles away knowing exactly when his master was experiencing trauma, is: what would be the medium enabling such transmission and receival of this supernatural connection? 

This of course is the same problem with reports of most types of clairvoyance and telepathy. Along with those "synchronicity" events like when a friend you were just thinking about but haven't heard from in 10 years calls you on the phone. What is the physical medium that connected the two parties?

Rupert Sheldrake tried to explain it with what he called "morphic resonance." But alas, zero proof, zero evidence, and he was fairly drummed out of the scientific community for his beliefs.

I think before you can get a grip on understanding it you have to accept that our consciousness does not reside in our brain.   A lot of things that can be proven are because of that.  The US Army has had remote viewing units since before 1970 and they would not spend a lot of money on something like that if it was not proven.  The only logical explanation is that our brain is the communication device between our consciousness and our environment, not where our consciousness resides as chemicals in the brain.

I had heard the term "morphic field" concerning our consciousness exists separately from the body way back in the 70's.  I think the term is used to describe something we don't yet have an understanding of.

Edited by Desertrat56

8 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Actually, the reason the U.S. Government stopped Project Stargate was due to the complete lack of any hint of evidence that remote viewing existed. The only "Possibly encouaging" incidents were even criticized for being poorly controlled and never repeated.

Consciousness is the sole action of your brain reacting to stimulus based on past experience. Basically a biologic feedback loop.

I didn't say project Stargate, which was not a U S Army project.  And just because a secret project gets revealed does not mean it is shut down when they say they did, it means things change for public relations.

Edited by Desertrat56