Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seasonal depression

Mr.Regard

Just wanting to hit up other people and to see how you deal with seasonal depression or just get myself to chat with new people haha.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Regard said:

Just wanting to hit up other people and to see how you deal with seasonal depression or just get myself to chat with new people haha.

Eat right, exercise regularly, work with wood and build with Lego. :yes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had a touch of it when I was younger and I decided to try going to go to a tanner in the winter months, along with taking magnesium / epsom salt baths to boost low levels, the combination for two seasons in a row knocked it out if me, I have not had it in years but know what to do if it returns.

If you decide to try the tanner, I recommend paying by the visit. I only had to go for a total of 3 to 5 times in a 2 months period so it is not worth them trying to sell you a 6 month deal package ; ) & places that have tanning beds are actually really slow this time of year so generally you have to hole place to yourself.

Sorry to hear your dealing with this and I hope you'll bounce back soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

Eat right, exercise regularly, work with wood and build with Lego. :yes:

Yeah, woodworking could really help, I have all the things I'd need to get started, and I'll have to buy a Lego set!!!! That is a primo idea!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

I had a touch of it when I was younger and I decided to try going to go to a tanner in the winter months, along with taking magnesium / epsom salt baths to boost low levels, the combination for two seasons in a row knocked it out if me, I have not had it in years but know what to do if it returns.

If you decide to try the tanner, I recommend paying by the visit. I only had to go for a total of 3 to 5 times in a 2 months period so it is not worth them trying to sell you a 6 month deal package ; ) & places that have tanning beds are actually really slow this time of year so generally you have to hole place to yourself.

Sorry to hear your dealing with this and I hope you'll bounce back soon!

I haven't really thought of that, and what does the Epsom salt magnesium baths help with?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Regard said:

Move south is the best advice I could ever give.

Short of that exercise and tanning beds is how I got through Alaskan winters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Move south is the best advice I could ever give.

Short of that exercise and tanning beds is how I got through Alaskan winters

True, I never had to deal with it in Florida.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

I haven't really thought of that, and what does the Epsom salt magnesium baths help with?

It has been found that the people who live in certain areas, depending on where they live, have lower levels of vitamin d and lower magnesium levels which is also a factor in seasonal depression. So by soaking in epsom salt it helps to raise your magnesium levels.

You might be able to do a search on line to see if you live in one of these areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

It will actually raise your blood pressure if you suffer hypertension.

10 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

It has been found that the people who live in certain areas, depending on where they live, have lower levels of vitamin d and lower magnesium levels which is also a factor in seasonal depression. So by soaking in epsom salt it helps to raise your magnesium levels.

Bananas and dark chocolate contain it too.  Dark chocolate also gives you the omega 3s and other helpers for depression.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

Yeah, woodworking could really help, I have all the things I'd need to get started, and I'll have to buy a Lego set!!!! That is a primo idea!!

I'm a chainsaw carver. That really helps with stress. :lol:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Bananas and dark chocolate contain it too.  Dark chocolate also gives you the omega 3s and other helpers for depression.

I can get down with dark chocolate, and yeah I bet getting down with a chainsaw can be a stress reliever!!! =]

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr.Regard said:

I can get down with dark chocolate, and yeah I bet getting down with a chainsaw can be a stress reliever!!! =]

I'm also a Shaolin Jianshu practitioner and I put in 3-4 days a week.

Swords are great for stress relief too.

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

I'm also a Shaolin Jianshu practitioner and I put in 3-4 days a week.

Swords are great for stress relief too.

I should so do something like that, during summer I am highly social, but in winter I become a recluse, something like that could help me socialize and help me with the winter weight I always get, you sound highly productive, I'd like to see some of your carvings!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

You might be able to do a search on line to see if you live in one of these areas.

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice, do you have any cool hobbies?

11 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

I should so do something like that, during summer I am highly social, but in winter I become a recluse, something like that could help me socialize and help me with the winter weight I always get, you sound highly productive, I'd like to see some of your carvings!

I did mainly Tribal masks and Ceremonial posts. Sometimes I did other things. I still might have a facebook business page floating around where I reproduced artifacts for the museums I worked for and warclubs for Native soldiers.

They club in my banner was roughed out with a chainsaw out of a 200 year old cherry from our tribal burial ground.

Here's a Miisiingk (Bigfoot) mask.

It's a non-ceremonial "dead" mask so I can put up the picture. 

10318718_10203338786372189_592637722_n.jpg.b6499c3ddd5445ba88e859b81873a911.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Mr.Regard said:

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice, do you have any cool hobbies?

You're welcome.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I paint large, black plastic trash bins with lids and give them away. General leaves, berries and cardinals or blue Jay's. 

Trash is a nasty job so I like to make it an attractive one instead  ; ) 

From time to time I take on a bit of wood working myself. I sand down old antique furniture, tables, dressers, chsirs, vanities, head and foot boards. I redid my hard wood floors in our house, cupboards and stairs. I mostly stick to the trash bins now days, it's a little easier on my hand (arthritis).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I did mainly Tribal masks and Ceremonial posts. Sometimes I did other things. I still might have a facebook business page floating around where I reproduced artifacts for the museums I worked for and warclubs for Native soldiers.

They club in my banner was roughed out with a chainsaw out of a 200 year old cherry from our tribal burial ground.

Dude that's so sick!!!!! That must be very fulfilling as well, how did you get into doing all that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

You're welcome.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I paint large, black plastic trash bins with lids and give them away. General leaves, berries and cardinals or blue Jay's. 

Trash is a nasty job so I like to make it an attractive one instead  ; ) 

From time to time I take on a bit of wood working myself. I sand down old antique furniture, tables, dressers, chsirs, vanities, head and foot boards. I redid my hard wood floors in our house, cupboards and stairs. I mostly stick to the trash bins now days, it's a little easier on my hand (arthritis).

That's so cool!!!! I like that mentality of making something dirty pretty, very good philosophy, do you have a picture of one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Regard said:

Dude that's so sick!!!!! That must be very fulfilling as well, how did you get into doing all that?

All Northern Woodland Native carvers are chainsaw carvers. We log, we carve with our saws. 

I watched the others. I learned. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

I do tie dyes and wire wrapping since we are sharing hobbies

IMG_20200109_144056_519.jpg

That is awsome! Wonderful work! Very cool! Love the colors too!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

That's so cool!!!! I like that mentality of making something dirty pretty, very good philosophy, do you have a picture of one?

Tomorrow! I will send one, to dark to take a pic and it's my bed time, night night!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr.Regard said:

That's awsome! Very cool!

22 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's awsome! Very cool! More pic plz ; )

• Like 2