Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus, what we need to know

Grim Reaper 6

Hey everyone the current Coronavirus outbreak appears to be creating a lot of speculation and concern World Wide. A good deal of this is because of inaccurate news being report by Media Services Around the globe. So as a group let's do a little collective research and keep each other updated as best as we can on the current situation concerning the 2019-nCoV  or ( Novel Coronavirus 2019 ). 

Here is the lasted up date from the CDC concerning the Virus Gnome:

( Chinese health authorities were the first to post the full genome of the 2019-nCoV in GenBankexternal icon, the NIH genetic sequence database, and in the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAIDexternal icon) portal, an action which has facilitated detection of this virus. On January 24, 2020, CDC posted in GenBank the full genome of the 2019-nCoV virus detected in the first U.S. patient from Washington state. The virus genetic sequence from the patient in Washington is nearly identical to the sequences posted from China. The available sequences suggest a likely single, recent emergence from a virus related to bat coronaviruses and SARS-CoV. The available sequence information does not provide any information about severity of associated illness or transmissibility of the virus.)  

So now it is apparent that the Coronavirus out break in Wohan is related to Bat Coronaviruses and the SARS-COV from 2002.

Next let's look at how the Virus is transmitted from person to person:

When person-to-person spread has occurred with MERS and SARS, it is thought to have happened via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. Spread of MERS and SARS between people has generally occurred between close contacts. Past MERS and SARS outbreaks have been complex, requiring comprehensive public health responses.

Early on, many of the patients in the outbreak in Wuhan, China reportedly had some link to a large seafood and animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. However, a growing number of patients reportedly have not had exposure to animal markets, suggesting person-to-person spread is occurring. At this time, it’s unclear how easily or sustainably this virus is spreading between people.

Both MERS and SARS have been known to cause severe illness in people. The situation with regard to 2019-nCoV is still unclear. While severe illness, including illness resulting in a number of deaths has been reported in China, other patients have had milder illness and been discharged. 

Note: To date all known deaths from this Virus are related to individuals with a compromised Immune system, due to other illnesses the individual had before infection with this Coronavirus variant.

So at this point it appears that the Virus is being spread by person to person contact in the same manner in which both the SARS and MERS Viruses were spread. In addition deaths are due to compromised Immune systems due to other illnesses the people had before they were infected by this Virus.

Below is a link from the World Health Organization ( WHO ) that lists the health care precautions that are being taken by personnel and health care facilities. These procedures can also be applied by those who are concerned about this Viral Outbreak.

https://www.who.int/publications-detail/infection-prevention-and-control-during-health-care-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected

Note: Currently there is no immediate threat inside the Continental United States. However, if this changes the following procedures should be considered if travel is required outside Safe Zones, such as your home.

1) A good quality Surgical Mask that is properly fitted will offer partial protection from possible Coughing or Sneezing from an infected individual. The reason this protection is only minimal, is because it doesn't protect Viral infection from liquid droplets that may come in contact with your eyes. For the best moderate protection a face shield in addition to a properly fitted facial mask should used when traveling in congested areas where human contact is possible. 

2) Next keeping your hands clean is the next best thing you can do to prevent Viral infections. A good cleaning with Soap and water or Alcohol based hand cleaners will prevent cross contamination from your hands to your mouth, nose or eyes. 

To all forum members please keep this page updated with current information coming in on this Virus.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey everyone the current Coronavirus outbreak appears to be creating a lot of speculation and concern World Wide. 

Possible stupid question: How is this different than bad flu strains people get all the time? Why does this make near headline news?

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Possible stupid question: How is this different than bad flu strains people get all the time? Why does this make near headline news?

It killed quite a few people from a fairly small pool of those infected, transfer that to the wider world, and you have a potentially huge death toll.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Possibly due to the proximity to earliest stages of animal to human transmission, maybe?  I think that's usually a danger sign with new ones.  Just a guess...  The Influenza in 1918 was a bird flu.  Some think it may have even begun on a chicken farm in Kansas.  It came to the military (Army) and was introduced into Europe, percolated among many hosts, mutated and came back to America before the pandemic really took off.  There's an excellent book out there that explains how it unfolded and how scientists came together to fight it and  initiate the science of epidemiology we know today.

THE GREAT INFLUENZA by John M. Barry.

Edited by and then
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Nop, I think that is a very good question. I think the common cold & flu viruses are probably very mild compared to this by the sounds of it.

I had to look these up & thought I'd share...

Coronaviruses and Acute Respiratory Syndromes (MERS and SARS) Coronaviruses are enveloped RNA viruses. ... In 2012, the coronavirus MERS-CoV was identified as the cause of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). In late 2002,SARS-CoV was identified as the cause of an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

You question is not stupid at all, it is a really good question actually. So far the biggest different between the Flu and the Wohan Coronavirus is the incubation periods. Normally with the common cold or the Flu the incubation period is 2 to 3 days before infection is noticed. The incubation period for the  Wohan Coronavirus is somewhere between 5 and 10 days, and to date it is unknown at what point during that incubation period the Virus can be spread from person to person. 

Next with the Flu Virus the results are normally predictable, however this doesn't take away from the fact that currently the Flu is the most deadly Virus in the USA. Since the Wohan Virus is a Novel ( New ) Virus its effects are currently unpredictable, especially since it is genetically from the same family as both SARS and MERS which all are linked to a Viral Strain from Bats. This Virus is more prone to cause pneumonia than the Flu Virus strains are, however, it is similar to the Flu Virus in the way it effects people with other respiratory problems and those who have wreaked or non-existant immune systems.

in the cases of compromised immune systems either Virus can be very deadly. To date all deaths from the Wohan Virus have been individuals with respiratory problems or compromised immune systems which are the same effects that the Flu Virus can have on these groups of people. However, the full effects of the Wohan Virus are not known st this time because it is a Novel Virus. In addition it has been reported that some of the deaths in China from this Virus that resulted in pneumonia were resistant to Antibiotics. Which makes it appear that the pneumonia is Viral not Bacterial.

Hope this helps

Peace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It killed quite a few people from a fairly small pool of those infected, transfer that to the wider world, and you have a potentially huge death toll.

Yes that is true it has killed people from a small pool of those infected, however, in all deaths to date the individuals had prior respiratory issues or compromised immune systems. All those who were Healthy before the Viral infection are recovering with minimal hospitalized care.

Peace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here was a good youtube vid put out by a doctor on the latest as he understands it, which essentially mirrors what has been said, though he adds information that would be good to know if it does become a pandemic panic situation. Some commenters seem to miss that and whine about fearmongering, but, he is saying that if it does explode and spread like that THEN this is what you need to know because going to the hospital is probably useless at that point and information may or may not be had soon enough. I think it was about 10 minutes long. He listed symptoms, and length of survival on surfaces, which was useful for me to know as this is an enveloped virus, which is why it is tougher to kill off than some away from a host.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

the pneumonia is Viral not Bacterial.

yep, it is an enveloped virus, so is a tough guy and all they can really do if you get it is give supportive care..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

yep, it is an enveloped virus, so is a tough guy and all they can really do if you get it is give supportive care..

I totally agree, but like I said before so far if you have a normal immune system minor supportive care is really all you need. The Virus is only killing people with compromised immune systems, and hopefully that doesn't change when it mutates again.

Peace

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Here was a good youtube vid put out by a doctor on the latest as he understands it, which essentially mirrors what has been said, though he adds information that would be good to know if it does become a pandemic panic situation. Some commenters seem to miss that and whine about fearmongering, but, he is saying that if it does explode and spread like that THEN this is what you need to know because going to the hospital is probably useless at that point and information may or may not be had soon enough. I think it was about 10 minutes long. He listed symptoms, and length of survival on surfaces, which was useful for me to know as this is an enveloped virus, which is why it is tougher to kill off than some away from a host.

The only problem I have with it is the survival time outside the human body. According to the CDC and the WHO at this time they don't even know how long this Virus can last on surfaces or anywhere outside the human body. So I think he is speculating  about that part, but Thanks for the Video it's a really good addition to this thread.

Peace

I never really grasped how people could die of the flu or some of these other illness waves we studied in history until I got a case when I was living in Britain and WANTED to die at points in the recovery. Then I had a better clue about how awful it was, besides just having millions die of things we see today as minor. 

People today, myself included, really do not really grasp what a true pandemic would be like if one of these bugs really morphed badly for us. It really does pay to have enough food and water and basics for at least a month at home all the time if you really did have to bolt the doors and hunker down until an illness passed over, even if just a 50 pound of rice is all you could afford for your family.

We have that on hand if forced to it but with this not being the season for a garden in the ground it would be boring eating for a while and might be plain pasta by the end LOL. 

I find it extra sad that all this is coming down hardest in China on their New Years Day. My heart is with them and the others suffering tonight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This guy says he's from Wuhan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Not A Rockstar said:

It really does pay to have enough food and water and basics for at least a month at home all the time if you really did have to bolt the doors and hunker down until an illness passed over,

The sad fact was that during the 1918 Pandemic, many people who did not get the flu, died anyway because they were stay at homes and unable to fend for themselves.  People were so afraid of getting sick that they  wouldn't help others with food or other items the house bound needed :( 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I never really grasped how people could die of the flu or some of these other illness waves we studied in history until I got a case when I was living in Britain and WANTED to die at points in the recovery. Then I had a better clue about how awful it was, besides just having millions die of things we see today as minor. 

People today, myself included, really do not really grasp what a true pandemic would be like if one of these bugs really morphed badly for us. It really does pay to have enough food and water and basics for at least a month at home all the time if you really did have to bolt the doors and hunker down until an illness passed over, even if just a 50 pound of rice is all you could afford for your family.

We have that on hand if forced to it but with this not being the season for a garden in the ground it would be boring eating for a while and might be plain pasta by the end LOL. 

I find it extra sad that all this is coming down hardest in China on their New Years Day. My heart is with them and the others suffering tonight.

You make some really good points. If there ever was a major pandemic living off the grid is the best way to survive.

peace

• Like 3

thanks for advice!

R.O.K people also are aware of that Remastered version SARS of Wuhan.

Every community talks that issue all day long.

Actually,  one more person is infected in Korea, today.(totall three now)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One more thing, lots of people in Korea and Japan supect Wuhan Virology institution. well.. even though we played Bio harzard too much...

• Like 1

One thing the doctor in my vid and which was repeated in @and then 's vid was that this HAS no treatment, most viruses do not, only supportive care - and you might just have a case of the real flu or a bad cold is all and go out and go to the hospital and catch the virus by going to such a crowded place, sorry to say. The panic sets in and people get scared, like that guy in And then's video and he doesn't understand there is actually nothing to be done but to wait it out. The officials have fled and left them to it, which is sad but predictable.

Anyway, thank God it has not spread far out here, and I will keep praying for China. 

• Like 3

Thousands of Chinese tourists flew into Australia today, and presumably many other countries, Pretty hard to see how it can be contained.

• Like 3

Yeah, and I guess for the majority it is use your heads and also don't freak yourself out. I am sick myself, head cold, flu, but, that is all it is. Been fighting with it for a couple weeks and it likes to come and go, which is typical for me the rare time I get sick. It ain't the corona virus, and if you get sick it probably won't be corona for you either. Take your Nyquil and a shot of Jack Black and relax. Some say YOLO :D 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Habitat said:

Thousands of Chinese tourists flew into Australia today, and presumably many other countries, Pretty hard to see how it can be contained.

Well hopefully they are screening everyone at the Airport. They are doing it here in the US, so I wouldnt worry to much about it. But if you see a bunch of Chinese when out and about, just stay away from them. The only way someone can spread the Virus is to sneeze or cough near you.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

Apparently as of today 26 Jan 2020 a total of 56 deaths and more than 2000 infected is being reported by a number of News Agencies. So far I have not been asked to confirm this update from the CDC or The WHO.

peace

Here's an interesting Video supposedly from Wohan, the video isn't verified.

Peace

As of today 26 Jan 2020, there are 5 confirmed cases of the Wohan Coronavirus in the United States, according to the CDC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-reports-3rd-case-new-coronavirus-virus-u-s-n1123236

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1