Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Thanos5150

Anubis-Lord of the Giza Necropolis

80 posts in this topic

Kenemet
1 hour ago, Thanos5150 said:

Sorry, forgot this bit. No, the bosses ("knobs") are for lowering/maneuvering the lid and not meant to be removed. A tip off to this is that very unfinished Abu Roash lid has knobs as do all the others that are otherwise completely finished including the shaping and polishing of the knobs. Makes little sense if all you are going to do is chop them off which it is hard to find an example of the period they bothered to do so. . 

This 4th Dynasty example from Giza is interested because instead of bosses it uses key cuts for tongs or a holivela:

48.110_SL3.jpg

Thanks. I didn't remember seeing them on Hatshepsut's sarcophagus or on some later lids.

"Holivela" is a new word for me.  I looked it up (in case others are also unfamiliar: https://100falcons.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/how-did-they-lift-those-stones/)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kenemet
2 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

You mean Khafre. 

Who told you this?

Mentioned in a lecture from one of my courses in Egyptology at University of Manchester.  Part of a discussion on artwork found in the tomb of nobles and the incompleteness of some of the tombs.  Pharaohs were not mentioned, however.

Edited by Kenemet

Kenemet
2 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Regardless, the sarcophagus of G1 was obviously installed during construction as apparently was G2 as the floor was cut out to accommodate it. Or you think though they couldn't take the time to finish the sarcophagi by putting some inscriptions and relief on it, they di have the time to cut out the floor to make room for it for no apparent reason?     

Yes, I assumed they were installed as the pyramids were being built -- couldn't see any logical way to get them down there otherwise.  I have not looked into the sarcophagi of the pyramids -- I don't find Giza particularly fascinating and my knowledge of good detail about the site is small.

Thanos5150
1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

Thanks. I didn't remember seeing them on Hatshepsut's sarcophagus or on some later lids.

If bosses were the norm in the OK but not in the NK then could we deduce this is because of the differences in the way their tombs were built...? 

"Holivela" is a new word for me.  I looked it up (in case others are also unfamiliar: https://100falcons.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/how-did-they-lift-those-stones/)

It is also called a Lewis lift which can be 3-legged like the holivela or other variants like a split pin Lewis:

360_32682f8622f4b84853fd1cbc63e24617.jpg

Or chain Lewis:

9.jpg 

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Thanks 1

Kenemet
1 hour ago, Thanos5150 said:

If bosses were the norm in the OK but not in the NK then could we deduce this is because of the differences in the way their tombs were built...? I

I think that's plausible.  However, there may be some lifting technology changes... the lids, for example, of the Apis bull sarcophagi in the Serapeum do have that insert in the head and foot, but do not have bosses.  

I would have loved to be there and see them maneuver Seti I's sarcophagus into the tomb.  That would have taken a good deal of coordination and careful management.