Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stop sending koala mittens, says Australia

Still Waters

Canadian volunteers are sending six airplanes full of handmade goods and medical supplies to help the animals injured in Australia's wildfires. But officials are worried that a deluge of good intentions could spark a "second disaster".

"Unfortunately, what usually happens is local communities become overwhelmed very quickly with donated goods," emergency official in New South Wales Jeremy Hillman told broadcaster ABC on 7 January.

One Australian group has asked international supplies to stop being sent altogether.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51197129

• Like 3

Oh....my....

I thought they were talking about mittens made out of Koala.  phew   what a relief   that would be like sending Labradoodle mittens

• Haha 4

• The title was changed to Stop sending koala mittens, says Australia

Everyone wants to help in any way they can and the response has been massive. It can be overwhelming. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joc said:

that would be like sending Labradoodle mittens

:unsure2:

So how do you feel about a coat? 

• Haha 1

just send tens and twenties. Let them buy what they know they really need. Same thing happened after 9-1-1. New York was similarly overwhelmed. My State bought them a new fire engine which they were grateful for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, joc said:

Oh....my....

I thought they were talking about mittens made out of Koala.  phew   what a relief   that would be like sending Labradoodle mittens

Labradoodles are an Australian invention...

"I bred the labradoodle for a blind lady whose husband was allergic to dog hair," he says.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-09-23/labradoodle-guide-dogs-designer-regret/10717186

This link contains another link to the podcast The Sum of All Parts, where I first heard the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I find it strange that those affected by  The fires seem to rely much on charity and funds. isn't the Australian goverment supposed to take care of those affected? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

:unsure2:

So how do you feel about a coat? 

Ever seen 101 Dalmatians ...Cruella  De Vil?  I vant your puppies!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

I find it strange that those affected by  The fires seem to rely much on charity and funds. isn't the Australian goverment supposed to take care of those affected? 

The pragmatic answer is that people should have adequate insurance. 

As with past catastrophes, when emotions ease, the question will be raised on why taxpayer should bear the burden of the under insured.

“Due to the large number of disasters that Australia has experienced over recent years, insurers have developed extensive expertise in helping communities recover from natural disasters. All claims are being prioritised.

https://www.insurancecouncil.com.au/media_release/plain/551

The insurance lobby group say they work with governments in mitigating the impact of people living in catastrophe prone areas.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

The pragmatic answer is that people should have adequate insurance. 

As with past catastrophes, when emotions ease, the question will be raised on why taxpayer should bear the burden of the under insured.

Another option that is optional in the U.S. is the easy availability of low interest government-backed loans for repair and rebuilding.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joc said:

Ever seen 101 Dalmatians ...Cruella  De Vil?  I vant your puppies!

Dalmatians aren't hypoallergenic. :yes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Dalmatians aren't hypoallergenic. :yes:

No, but Havanese are.  Long story short, we got a Havanese when my daughter was 4.  We bred her at 3 and kept the runt.  A white and black female...just like her Mother. 

When my daughter was 8 we went to DisneyWorld...she had to get all the characters autographs in a book and a picture...one of which was Cruella.  Cruella asked her if she had any puppys...she told her about her dogs...told her they were white with black spots...Cruella said...I vant your puppies!

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

A new idea for Hollywood... Formerly 102 Labradoodles,

^_^

At first I thought. What is Canada doing with six planes loaded with Koala mittens ? we don't even have six planes of Polar bear mittens

• Haha 1

Yeah, way too many Koala mittens downunder, can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

:o

On 1/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

I think they could be overwhelmed because of the extent of the fires. 

• Like 2