Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
flying squid

Hunters and gatherers prevented farmers

flying squid

I just watched a short TV program, and they spoke how the hunters and gatherers prevented the early farmers arrival to the west and north Europe. For the long time. Farming spread through Eurasia via Ukraine, fram to the Romania. But when and how farming spread in the west and north Europe is still a question of debate, as far as i understand.

Also. farmers from the Near East and Eurasia spread throughout the south and eastern Europe around 7,000 years ago, But, the hunters and gatherers of the west and north Europe slowed and stopped their advance for at least 10 centuries. Hunters and gatherers of the west and north Eurupe maintained insteed their tradition and a way of the life. In this TV program they said for example The stones of the Carnac(France) was erected most probably for the purpose of marking the hunters and gatherers areas and the societies.

Any thougts about the spread of farming and agriculture in the west and north Europe?

• Like 3

Piney

People started farming because they had to. Not because they wanted too. The Hunter-Gatherer lifestyle is easier especially if they were good agro-foresters.

• Like 6

Oniomancer

Typical. The small local producer tries to get ahead and gets held down by Big Game.

• Haha 5

Piney
12 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Typical. The small local producer tries to get ahead and gets held down by Big Game.

That's why the little gardeners with the wampum "honesty baskets" never survived on the Outer Coastal Plain. 

• Like 2

Oniomancer

To be fair though, there was probably a lot of resistance when the agro outfits introduced the first GMO's.

shutterstock_29357284FarmAnimals-1024x46

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Swede
1 hour ago, Oniomancer said:

To be fair though, there was probably a lot of resistance when the agro outfits introduced the first GMO's.

shutterstock_29357284FarmAnimals-1024x46

Actually not such an unrealistic scenario. The comparatively easily harvested semi-domesticated resources would naturally be attractive to a hunter-gatherer culture. Interesting concept.

• Like 3

third_eye

Risen sea "level"

~

• Like 3

Jujo-jo
17 hours ago, flying squid said:

I just watched a short TV program, and they spoke how the hunters and gatherers prevented the early farmers arrival to the west and north Europe. For the long time. Farming spread through Eurasia via Ukraine, fram to the Romania. But when and how farming spread in the west and north Europe is still a question of debate, as far as i understand.

Also. farmers from the Near East and Eurasia spread throughout the south and eastern Europe around 7,000 years ago, But, the hunters and gatherers of the west and north Europe slowed and stopped their advance for at least 10 centuries. Hunters and gatherers of the west and north Eurupe maintained insteed their tradition and a way of the life. In this TV program they said for example The stones of the Carnac(France) was erected most probably for the purpose of marking the hunters and gatherers areas and the societies.

Any thougts about the spread of farming and agriculture in the west and north Europe?

This is just my guess but I think the Native Americans were the first to really "farm" as a community.

I think all early people hunted together but when it comes to side dishes or meals that did not consist of neat and I start thinking of corn, wheat, rice, etc. I think they started it, it just seems to make sense to me maybe other people around the world were starting to figure it out but probably not until after spying on others lol at least in my region hard to say in Asia and other parts of the world. 

• Like 2

flying squid
9 hours ago, third_eye said:

Risen sea "level"

~

Well, this could be the reason they eventually embraced the farming life. A climate change.

• Like 2

third_eye
3 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Well, this could be the reason they eventually embraced the farming life. A climate change.

Kinda hard to say "choices" means much back in the day, it's rather nearer to know or not know....

~

• Like 2