Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you let go of someone else's energy

Poe

Ok, so I have always had a sense of people. Pretty good read. Figured it was usually body language recognition on an immensely subtle level. I am hypersensitive. I just had an experience that is really bugging me. I was taking a lunch break and watching a ghost hunting show (guilty pleasure; I grew up going to a "haunted" private school).  Anyway, in this particular episode they were in a house where a suicide had recently occurred. It was tied to longstanding secret abuse by others, as revealed in letters from the victim. The mom of the victim tearfully recounted the situation and how it has affected her and how bad she felt for the victim. Everyone was sympathetic on the show. And I became enraged. I feel like the mom knew what was going on. And every word that comes out of her mouth seems self indulgent. I can't explain this. I don't believe I am projecting. I have never experienced abuse nor been close to anyone who has. I have no reason for this to be a trigger. I am not normally drawn to or moved by such stories. I can't tell you where this is coming from. But now I feel like I've had 5 espressos and I'm mumbling to myself and bouncing around about how mad I am at this unknown woman on tv. Yes, I am embarrassed just writing this out. But I could use some advice. 

So, how do you dispel this kind of energy and let go of the latch? 

• Like 2

So in other words you watched tv and got really angry. I suggest distracting yourself. It's isn't "energy", what you felt was an emotional trigger. If all else fails, banish this feeling with laughter (I mean that literally).

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Poe said:

Ok, so I have always had a sense of people. Pretty good read. Figured it was usually body language recognition on an immensely subtle level. I am hypersensitive. I just had an experience that is really bugging me. I was taking a lunch break and watching a ghost hunting show (guilty pleasure; I grew up going to a "haunted" private school).  Anyway, in this particular episode they were in a house where a suicide had recently occurred. It was tied to longstanding secret abuse by others, as revealed in letters from the victim. The mom of the victim tearfully recounted the situation and how it has affected her and how bad she felt for the victim. Everyone was sympathetic on the show. And I became enraged. I feel like the mom knew what was going on. And every word that comes out of her mouth seems self indulgent. I can't explain this. I don't believe I am projecting. I have never experienced abuse nor been close to anyone who has. I have no reason for this to be a trigger. I am not normally drawn to or moved by such stories. I can't tell you where this is coming from. But now I feel like I've had 5 espressos and I'm mumbling to myself and bouncing around about how mad I am at this unknown woman on tv. Yes, I am embarrassed just writing this out. But I could use some advice. 

Wow!  you may have picked up on something, or it may have triggered something you are not aware of in your sub conscious.  I suggest exploring the way you feel, and what triggered it.  Maybe you do know someone you are or were close to that experienced something similar.  It could be you picking up on someone else's stuff as well, but there is no way to tell for sure from here.  You are the one who has to examine it.  As for the feelings, you can dispel them with meditation of other mindfulness practice.  Maybe soak your feet in warm epsom salts water if you can.  (to relax). 

I will tell you that I was close to someone who was being abused and eventually committed suicide.  We all were abused but he was the main whipping boy.  He did his best to be ok and was a good man, but life just got too much for him.  When I talked to my mother she also insisted that she knew nothing about the abuse.  I know she knew and I told her so, how could she not, living in the same house?  Maybe she was too ashamed, or maybe she was also feeling abused (the abuse did include her but as an adult she had options that the children didn't).  I even asked her once when I was 13 why she didn't throw his things in the street and change the locks.  She was shocked that I suggested it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good responses already here. About all I can add is that sometimes these things stick for a while due to affinities. Maybe it was not abuse or exactly like this, but some aspect of that woman touched on something you are sensitive about in your subconscious, IMO. Some anger over someone who refused to accept responsibility you felt they should for something, or even possibly a time when you did this and feel anger or guilt that you did not realize and deal THEN the way you would NOW, knowing more and being older.

Quite often, the things that annoy us the very most in others are qualities we have ourselves and need to be working on. Sometimes. Not saying this is why you feel this reaction, just an observation.

It takes a lot of brutal honesty to sort out that sort of thing and find the connections, but, this is how it done in Jungian Shadow Work to heal and improve our reality. Given how strongly you feel, it might be worth your time to explore Jung Shadow Work via google and dig into yourself and your thoughts more. It is a valuable thing to understand yourself better.

BTW, welcome to the forum :) 

• Like 4

I think the show was successful in getting you in,probably what a lot of shows are trying to do.I've heard of people punching out soap opera stars in the street for something they did on the show.Some things get ingrained in our psyche,movies such as Mad Max had young blokes here hotting up there cars and carrying sawn off shotguns lol.You just have to realise this stuff is fantasy and enjoy it for that.

• Like 1

The same way you drop a heavy bag when you're tired.

Spoiler

and as many times as you find you've picked it up again...

drop that shiz!

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Poe said:

I'm mumbling to myself and bouncing around about how mad I am at this unknown woman on tv. Yes, I am embarrassed just writing this out. But I could use some advice. 

If you suspect she's guilty in some way, a lot more people who watched the show must suspect the same thing, so take comfort from the fact that you're not alone in getting angry at her, and maybe the TV show's producers suspected it too..:D

I don't know which show it was but if I were you I'd look on youtube to see if it's there, and if it is you can let off steam by leaving a comment saying you suspect the woman.

Hello Poe and welcome to the forum.

If that were my experience I would want to know what the trigger was which upset me. If there is an energetic wound of some kind that needs to be healed, I would want to be aware of it.

John

• Like 1