Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7.7 Earthquake Hits Jamaica/ Tsunami Warning

susieice

Tsunami warnings have been issued for Mexico and the Caribbean islands after a 7.7 earthquake hits off the coast of Jamaica. 

https://wnep.com/2020/01/28/tsunami-threat-message-issued-after-magnitude-7-7-earthquake-off-the-coast-of-jamaica/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Can one of our Geo experts explain why we are seeing a lot of activity down that way please? Puerto Rico and now this :( 

• Like 3

The earthquake struck between Cuba and Jamaica. It shook buildings in Miami. No reports yet on damages or injuries.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/powerful-earthquake-reported-between-cuba-and-jamaica-usgs/2182881/

5 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Can one of our Geo experts explain why we are seeing a lot of activity down that way please? Puerto Rico and now this :( 

When they were hitting Puerto Rico, I saw reports of how the island sits right on to of a fault line that's been very active for the past month. Geologists are studying why the earthquakes are continuing to hit like they are.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/why-so-many-puerto-rico-earthquakes-have-happened-geology/

• Thanks 2

Natgeo seems to think I need to subscribe to read more of their stuff and so I only got the first paragraph, but, I am still curious what has got the faults down there messing around and now hitting Jamaica. Poor Haiti just does not need more grief like this, anywhere near to it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Natgeo seems to think I need to subscribe to read more of their stuff and so I only got the first paragraph, but, I am still curious what has got the faults down there messing around and now hitting Jamaica. Poor Haiti just does not need more grief like this, anywhere near to it.

I'm sorry Rockstar. NatGeo will do that to me too after I've opened a few links. This one from ABC should work for you.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/experts-seek-answers-constant-quakes-puerto-rico-68280594

• Like 2

From weather.com Evacs in Miami in reaction to Tsunami warning.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-01-28-strong-earthquake-strikes-jamaica-cuba

They are also being evacuated due to shaking, I would think as a precaution to possible structural issues.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/01/28/7-7-magnitude-off-coast-of-jamaica-shakes-buildings-in-miami/

• Like 2

@Not A Rockstar A 6.5 just hit the Cayman Islands. These are some strong earthquakes happening here! Still no reports on damages.

https://www.fox29.com/news/6-5-earthquake-shakes-cayman-islands-following-powerful-7-7-temblor-between-cuba-jamaica?fbclid=IwAR3dlorJslJVK7JQI5beV-Te-ZZU0iFY8olwYcgEr_CWU6g2b8LIQ_70gR4

GEORGETOWN - A 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck near the Cayman Islands following a powerful 7.7 quake that happened in between Cuba and Jamaica Tuesday.

https://www.pix11.com/news/national-news/magnitude-6-1-earthquake-hits-off-of-cayman-islands-after-7-7m-earthquake-hits-off-of-jamaica

A 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit off the Cayman Islands hours after a massive tremor registered between Jamaica and Cuba.

The strong aftershock came about two hours after the 7.7M quake between Jamaica and Cuba.

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 2

Most articles are rating the Cayman Island quake as a 6.5. I'm not sure if this is considered an aftershock, but it may be as it didn't surpass the 7.7 in Jamaica and is in the same general area.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/6-5-earthquake-shakes-cayman-islands-following-powerful-7-7-temblor-between-cuba-jamaica

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

I just feel more is going on and wonder what it is. I am only adequate on geo matters, not real knowledgeable and this is beginning to trouble me. TY Sweet Suze for keeping us updated <3

• Like 2

I just feel more is going on and wonder what it is. I am only adequate on geo matters, not real knowledgeable and this is beginning to trouble me. TY Sweet Suze for keeping us updated <3

I'm ready to start stamping my feet! Puerto Rico seldom gets earthquakes and now they've been getting them daily since December 28th. Big ones too! Now these two, and they aren't little shakers. What is going on? Those plates are really active! Geology doesn't move this fast!

• Thanks 2

Man this sucks. Jamaica is already so improverished as is. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder which one of the "prophets" will take credit for this?

Certainly not Drudge!  I just left a tip on his website:

Here's a tip:

Nobody cares about impeachment.  Why aren't you running this as your main headline:

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, joc said:

Why aren't you running this as your main headline:

Probably because it didnt actully hit Jamaica and the Tsunami threat was assessed and eliminated something like 6 hours ago

Statement

https://www.tsunami.gov/events/PHEB/2020/01/28/20028001/5/WECA41/WECA41.txt

Map

https://www.tsunami.gov/

Edited by Farmer77

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder which one of the "prophets" will take credit for this?

How many people died in this quake?

Would you like to see the command line sequence before the great earthquake, which struck Port-au-Prince in Haiti, in 2010?

A heads up when 200,000 souls are about to die, is unwelcome? 

When Mt, Everest and Nepal were shaken in 2015, and 9,000 died, was there a warning issued here?  Indeed, “a mountain in the sky was not beyond our reach.”

The question we should be asking, is what is connected to the plate which is rupturing underneath the Caribbean? What clues might this be giving us, about what will happen in far more populated areas, when far more lives are at risk.

16 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

How many people died in this quake?

Would you like to see the command line sequence before the great earthquake, which struck Port-au-Prince in Haiti, in 2010?

A heads up when 200,000 souls are about to die, is unwelcome? 

When Mt, Everest and Nepal were shaken in 2015, and 9,000 died, was there a warning issued here?  Indeed, “a mountain in the sky was not beyond our reach.”

The question we should be asking, is what is connected to the plate which is rupturing underneath the Caribbean? What clues might this be giving us, about what will happen in far more populated areas, when far more lives are at risk.

What's connected to the plate that is rupturing?  Another plate, when two plates are pushing against each other sooner or later one will give and allow the other to slip under it or over it. Simple plate tectonics and nothing more.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

I had no idea that there were any plates so close to the U.S. on the eastern side.  The only one I was aware of is the New Madrid.  I wonder if this fault is a part of those same plates?  If these are related and this was a preshock... wow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I had no idea that there were any plates so close to the U.S. on the eastern side.  The only one I was aware of is the New Madrid.  I wonder if this fault is a part of those same plates?  If these are related and this was a preshock... wow.

Your thought made me go look.

tectonic-plates--812085686-6fa6768e183f4

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, and then said:

Stop, just stop. I have never claimed to be some sort of prophet or whatever but of the few horrifically real visions of violence and end times, I have seen an EQ event in the New Madrid fault area that makes the original EQ look like a minor event. It is one of the most terrifying … dreams? Visions? I have ever had and that was over a decade ago I saw it and I am feeling anxiety over this series we have been seeing because of it. 

Having no clue why I would be shown anything of the sort, I keep it as a mere dream, but, it was not a dream type of thing. So, I have blocked it out as much as I can. No answer for it, just this worries me is all. (sceptics just leave me alone and blame it on my PTSD. I am not trying to say anything beyond the literal words, as there is nothing more to be said except I had a dream, repeated over three nights that still troubles me at times like this).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Stop, just stop. I have never claimed to be some sort of prophet or whatever but of the few horrifically real visions of violence and end times, I have seen an EQ event in the New Madrid fault area that makes the original EQ look like a minor event. It is one of the most terrifying … dreams? Visions? I have ever had and that was over a decade ago I saw it and I am feeling anxiety over this series we have been seeing because of it. 

Having no clue why I would be shown anything of the sort, I keep it as a mere dream, but, it was not a dream type of thing. So, I have blocked it out as much as I can. No answer for it, just this worries me is all. (sceptics just leave me alone and blame it on my PTSD. I am not trying to say anything beyond the literal words, as there is nothing more to be said except I had a dream, repeated over three nights that still troubles me at times like this).

Sorry, guy.  I really didn't mean to spike any anxiety, sincerely.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Your thought made me go look.

Thanks for the plate graphic. The article I was reading said (If I understood it right) that the Carib plate there is rising and the other two above and below are shifting under it. But, it makes me wish to know why so much so recently is all. 

I have a lot of friends in Haiti and they just have so little left to lose.

• Like 3

The 1692 Jamaica earthquake struck Port Royal, Jamaica on 7 June. A stopped pocket watch found in the harbour in 1959[2][3][4] indicated that it occurred around 11:43 a.m.[5]

Known as the "storehouse and treasury of the West Indies", and as "one of the wickedest places on Earth", it was, at the time, the unofficial capital of Jamaica, one of the busiest and wealthiest ports in the West Indies, and a common home port for many of the privateers and pirates operating within the Caribbean Sea.

The earthquake caused most of the city to sink below sea level.

About 2,000 people died as a result of the earthquake and the following tsunami; and, about another 3,000 people died in the days following the earthquakes, due to injuries and disease.[5]

Tectonic setting

The island of Jamaica lies on the boundary between the Caribbean Plate and the Gonâve Microplate. The Gonâve microplate is a 1,100 km (680 mi) long strip of mainly oceanic crust formed by the Cayman spreading ridge within a strike-slip pull-apart basin on the northern transform margin of the Caribbean Plate with the North American Plate.[6] Jamaica was formed by uplift associated with a restraining bend along this strike-slip structure.[7] The focal mechanisms of earthquakes around Jamaica are primarily sinistral strike-slip along WSW-ENE trending faults and minor reverse or thrust motion on NW-SE trending faults.[6] The 1692 event is thought to have occurred on one of these strike-slip faults.

Characteristics[edit]

Earthquake[edit]

... The estimated size of the event was 7.5 on the moment magnitude scale.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1692_Jamaica_earthquake#Tectonic_setting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1