Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7.7 Earthquake Hits Jamaica/ Tsunami Warning

susieice

3 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have a lot of friends in Haiti and they just have so little left to lose.

Locals? Man they have it unimaginably rough. A couple of my coworkers do humanitarian stints as medical staff down there annually and the stories they bring back are just heartbreaking. Its hard to imagine that such conditions exist in a location that is so close to advanced civilization.  I almost said close to here, which is heartbreakingly true, but even the D.R. is modernizing and thriving by comparison and theyre on the same damn island.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Locals? Man they have it unimaginably rough. A couple of my coworkers do humanitarian stints as medical staff down there annually and the stories they bring back are just heartbreaking. Its hard to imagine that such conditions exist in a location that is so close to advanced civilization.  I almost said close to here, which is heartbreakingly true, but even the D.R. is modernizing and thriving by comparison and theyre on the same damn island.

Yes, Locals, natives, bonds forged during my years of going and coming from there between our extended Houses when I was active in Vodou. The US Houses did a lot of humanitarian work and funded schooling and such. The people are all I miss from those days. I will always have a special love for them.

But, the place is fubar. I am not sure it can even be repaired under any circumstances :(. Flying into Port Au Prince you can see from the air the dramatic difference and comparative poverty between Haiti and the DR. It is criminal and unspeakable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What's connected to the plate that is rupturing?  Another plate, when two plates are pushing against each other sooner or later one will give and allow the other to slip under it or over it. Simple plate tectonics and nothing more.

Peace

Puerto Rico sits in a subduction zone. What I'm saying is that these aren't little shakes happening here. And fast. Those poor people can't catch a break.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

It's been almost 12 hrs now, and there are still no reports of injuries or major damage. That is such a relief! This report is from 5 hrs ago.

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article239724023.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Whenever you have fault lines like the ones present here, you usually have volcanoes. So I looked it up. There are 19 "live" volcanoes on the Caribbean islands.

http://uwiseismic.com/General.aspx?id=46

I remember when the volcano on the island of Montserrat erupted. That was in 1995. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soufrière_Hills

• Like 2

The 7.0 EQ in Haiti happened in 2010. I know the region is active, just so much recently is concerning :( 

Maybe after this most recent one, we will get some more official statements from the experts. I hope it settles down now and has stabilized. People talk about hurricanes being scary but to me, having the ground shake and ceilings fall in without warning seems vastly worse.

• Like 2

Earthquakes are also well known as precursors and warnings of impending volcanic eruptions. Ten years before Vesuvius buried Pompeii there was a large earthquake. I didn't realize there were so many volcanoes in the Caribbean but they are commonly found in fault areas like the ones there. A lot of those islands are volcanic in origin. I didn't really know that either. With that region being so active, could that be what's happening? Puerto Rico had a 5.0 just three days ago. Their quakes have been steadily everyday for the past month. Is something waking up? I sure hope the experts start to give some kind of an explanation as to what is going on there soon.

• Like 1

As the great ice sheets melt on both poles of the earth, and also on Greenland, the land mass rises underneath.

We have only barely begun to see the redistribution of mass, I expect.

There was a time when the shamen of the tribes were respected members, now the shamans are cast off, to become witnesses against the enemies of the earth.

Edited by Raptor Witness

10 hours ago, and then said:

I had no idea that there were any plates so close to the U.S. on the eastern side.  The only one I was aware of is the New Madrid.  I wonder if this fault is a part of those same plates?  If these are related and this was a preshock... wow.

I found this online it explains what caused the Earthquake and which Tectonic Plates were involved.

The Earthquake was sparked by the North American and Caribbean tectonic plates grinding against each other at a place called the “Oriente Fault.” These so-called “strike-slip faults” are characterized by near vertical fractures and horizontal movements in the earth. At the Oriente Fault, which runs just south of Cuba, the North American plate moves west-southwest over the Caribbean plate at a rate of about 19 millimeters per year, the USGS said.

Peace