Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Brian K

Prof Hawking's speculation of alien contact

36 posts in this topic

Manwon Lender
12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Goodness me.

Ha! Ha! Ha!, that's some funny $hit.

Peace

Brian K
20 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Peace

I realize you're using the term battles loosely, but through exchanges like these with those such as Rlyeh who might otherwise be written off as flame trolls, I arrived at a different perspective in the "zero" topic about 2D simulating 3D, albeit with someone attempting to refute my reasoning or lack thereof with a more scholarly effort focused upon understanding rather than mere semantic dissection and ad hominem.  Despite 2D projection being acknowledged for the idea of many years, the issue of containment being erroneous hadn't dawned on me.

The Sithists, also marginalized in many circles for being a new age sci-fi based religion, make a valid point about the concept of peace, referring to your habitual use of the term.  They state that there is no peace, only passion, which is true because what is often called inner peace is either emotional repression or total neutralization of the polarities through meditation or deep sleep.  One cannot escape any of one's thoughts or feelings.  It's a question of amnesia or All.  Also, relating back to what you said of love being a part of wisdom, if love isn't everything then the concept is meaningless.  Where does the judgment of what is and isn't love stop once it begins?  It isn't frivolous semantics to cite respect, courtesy, civility, honesty, etc., instead of love since love encompasses the entire spectrum from the extreme of positive to negative.  

psyche101
21 hours ago, Brian K said:

Prof Stephen Hawking said that one shouldn't expect an alien encounter to be a positive experience.

He said that's one possibility.

He did not say it's going to be the case, or even likely.

Twisting it to seem so sells headlines is all. 

That line only gets repeated because it is presented in a controversial manner. 

Manwon Lender
23 minutes ago, Brian K said:

I realize you're using the term battles loosely, but through exchanges like these with those such as Rlyeh who might otherwise be written off as flame trolls, I arrived at a different perspective in the "zero" topic about 2D simulating 3D, albeit with someone attempting to refute my reasoning or lack thereof with a more scholarly effort focused upon understanding rather than mere semantic dissection and ad hominem.  Despite 2D projection being acknowledged for the idea of many years, the issue of containment being erroneous hadn't dawned on me.

The Sithists, also marginalized in many circles for being a new age sci-fi based religion, make a valid point about the concept of peace, referring to your habitual use of the term.  They state that there is no peace, only passion, which is true because what is often called inner peace is either emotional repression or total neutralization of the polarities through meditation or deep sleep.  One cannot escape any of one's thoughts or feelings.  It's a question of amnesia or All.  Also, relating back to what you said of love being a part of wisdom, if love isn't everything then the concept is meaningless.  Where does the judgment of what is and isn't love stop once it begins?  It isn't frivolous semantics to cite respect, courtesy, civility, honesty, etc., instead of love since love encompasses the entire spectrum from the extreme of positive to negative.  

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.

Like a fine flower, beautiful to look at but without scent, fine words are fruitless in a man who does not act in accordance with them.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

Brian K
57 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.

Like a fine flower, beautiful to look at but without scent, fine words are fruitless in a man who does not act in accordance with them.

Peace

You're emphasizing gentleness as one of only 3 things that matter, as if Consciousness doesn't willfully desire its polar opposite for variety's sake?  For one who seems to be bent on passively criticizing with proverbs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to examine statements like that above and realize how insulting they are to one's undissociated self.

Polarity. 

Tatetopa
2 hours ago, Brian K said:

The opening statement in the context of looking for something outside of oneself does not render it a non sequitur. 

Is there a way to demonstrate that there is anything beyond oneself? How can you ascertain that you are not a brain in a jar with no sensory inputs or a computer simulation running on a device somewhere?

How do you know that know this whole website and all of us answering your posts are part of your own brain churning out thought patterns, just a monologue?

Manwon Lender
43 minutes ago, Brian K said:

You're emphasizing gentleness as one of only 3 things that matter, as if Consciousness doesn't willfully desire its polar opposite for variety's sake?  For one who seems to be bent on passively criticizing with proverbs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to examine statements like that above and realize how insulting they are to one's undissociated self.

Polarity. 

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill. These words also show our true self through the layers that are built to hide ones true self. 

Whenever, one uses words to impress others, those same words show the crack in ones philosophical nature.

Peace

Rlyeh
7 hours ago, Brian K said:

Light is illusion.

Light is what your eyes detect.

Everything I see is thought form.

No, you see light.  Your brain then pieces it together, doesn't seem to be doing a good job of it.

The opening statement in the context of looking for something outside of oneself does not render it a non sequitur.

It's non-sequitur, it has nothing to do with Hawking's reason or his argument.  You've gone off on your own little narrative.

It sounds like you're the one projecting, or perhaps a cover for your lack of comprehension skills?

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
17 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

First let me say your right H20 is very common throughout the universe, however, H20 in its liquid state is not common at all. Most water throughout the universe is either present as Vapors or Ice, and Earths H20 being in its liquid state is unique in our Solor System. So far the moons you are speaking of may have liquid H20, but that is only a theory, and my comments about H20 should have been more clear, because I wasn't actually speaking about Water itself but molecules within it.

Deuterium is what makes our water a valuable commodity, Deuterium is one of the oldest Isotopes in the Universe, it was manufactured as part of the Big Bang. However what makes it unique is that unlike Hydrogen and Helium there are no natural processes that continue to replenish it like they do for Hydrogen and Helium, so the amount of Deuterium in the Universe only grows smaller over time. In addition the amount of Deuterium found in natural water is not a constant, it actually varies from water source to water source.

Earth Oceans have have an abundance of Deuterium, which is not common throughout the Universe. Deuterium also known as Hydrogen-2 or by its Atomic name 2H or D also allow it to be called Heavy Hydrogen. The ratio of Deuterium is 1 Atom to every 6423 of Hydrogen, thus Deuterium accounts for 0.02% of all naturally occurring Hydrogen in Earths Oceans. The reason Deuterium is so valuble is because in the near future it can be used as power source / fuel for commercial fusion power stations. The fuel will consist of a 50-50 mixture of Deuterium and Tritium because this mixture fuses at the lowest temperature and the energy yield produced is much larger when compared to any other fusion reactions. 

If the Deuterium found in 50 cups of seawater were used in a D-T reactor the energy produced would equal to 2 tons of burnt coal. In addition the by product of a D-T reactions is Helium which isn't radioactive or toxic so this process doesn't produce any pollution and it doesnt contribute to the Greenhouse effect in our atmosphere. 

Now since we are talking about why would an advanced alien race being interested in Earth Oceans what I stated above should make it clear. While we have only begun to scratch the surface of the usefulness of Deuterium an advanced alien race may be using its applications as fuel source for space travel. In theory Deuterium has so many applications it will most likely take us another hundred years before we fully understand all of it uses.

Peace

The Earth does not have the highest abundance of deuterium measured in the solar system. Mars have shown five times higher concentration and some comets have three times as much. While Earths deuterium abundance is higher than average it is not unique.

Even assuming the concentration is low the sheer amount of water available on a moon like Europa means that there are trillions of tons available. Water ice is very common in the outer solar system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)#Subsurface_ocean

Manwon Lender
3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The Earth does not have the highest abundance of deuterium measured in the solar system. Mars have shown five times higher concentration and some comets have three times as much. While Earths deuterium abundance is higher than average it is not unique.

Even assuming the concentration is low the sheer amount of water available on a moon like Europa means that there are trillions of tons available. Water ice is very common in the outer solar system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)#Subsurface_ocean

I never said that Earth has the highest abundance of Deuterium in the Solor System, however, it is the easiest to obtain. First Deuterium levels in Water are not equally distributed, some sources have more and some sources less. In our Solar System Earths Deuterium is the easiest to extract, extraction of Deuterium from other sources is more time consuming. As far as the Moon Europa is concerned the fact that there is liquid water under the Ice is theoretical at this time and here again extraction would be much more difficult. 

Another reason Earth may be appealing to Aliens is life, which also would include food. We have no idea how many other Solar systems have planets like Earth that have the abundance of life that we do. Who knows the Aliens may come with their own cook book, titled How to prepare man.:D

Peace

Manwon Lender
15 hours ago, Brian K said:

I find it interesting that when challenged with a similar verbal usage, your philosophical verbiage and demeanor begins to to fracture. You start calling people trolls and speak of the habitual use of words such as peace, which you vlearly don't understand the context it is being used in. My recommendation for you is very simple, do not speak in the manner you have been speaking in. Some forum members can not follow your comments because they are not clearly and simply spoken on a level all can understand. Which equates to people not responding to your comments, is this what you are trying to achieve?

I hope you can take this criticism without taking offense, my comments here are not intended to belittle you in anyway, I am making a point that I truly hope you can understand.

Peace