Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has life from Earth spread to distant worlds?

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Has life from Earth spread to distant worlds?

Brand new? My class secretly had to write a paper favoring either evolution or creation in High school (20 years ago) and i wrote about this and got the highest score and it didnt even address the question of where life originated but i figure this much is pretty obvious...

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

sure, why not... Panspermia works both ways.

Edited by Hazzard

1 minute ago, Hazzard said:

sure, why not.

because we have only just barely....barely...broken interstellar space...could there be microbes on the Voyager?  I don't know...probably.  Would they survive in outer space?  I don't think so.  Check back in a couple hundred thousand years...we might know something by then.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

Brand new? My class secretly had to write a paper favoring either evolution or creation in High school (20 years ago) and i wrote about this and got the highest score and it didnt even address the question of where life originated but i figure this much is pretty obvious...

There is a big difference between a high school student's essay and a scientific paper which provides in depth factual and mathematical analysis. It's the difference between knowledge and guessing. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Spot on, mate. Those astronomical distances are really mind numbing. To scale: if the sun is a beach ball size, the Earth is a golf ball about 40 feet away. And the nearest star, proxima centauri? It's  is over 1400 miles away. Woah. 

Ya I think about distances to other stars & cant even begin to imagine. Then I think of galaxies distance to each other & I get a full blown headache

16 hours ago, joc said:

because we have only just barely....barely...broken interstellar space...could there be microbes on the Voyager?  I don't know...probably.  Would they survive in outer space?  I don't think so.  Check back in a couple hundred thousand years...we might know something by then.

You are thinking about this all wrong. There has been life on Earth for billions of years. An asteroid impact back then could have thrown tons of materials (with life) into space ... plenty of time to reach another starsystem, and crash into a planet. Panspermia, dude!

5 hours ago, Hazzard said:

You are thinking about this all wrong. There has been life on Earth for billions of years. An asteroid impact back then could have thrown tons of materials (with life) into space ... plenty of time to reach another starsystem, and crash into a planet. Panspermia, dude!

Actually...dude...no that didn't happen.   How do I know that didn't happen you might ask.  I know that didn't happen because Life happened on Earth as a result of an Established Atmosphere already being in place.  

With the atmosphere in place and the gravity of Earth being what it is...and was then as well...there is no chance an asteroid hit the Earth and blew Life up and out of the atmosphere.  It takes a tremendous force to exit our atmosphere.  No way blow back from an asteroid hitting the Earth would have that force.

Thanks but Panspermia...not so much.

3 hours ago, joc said:

Actually...dude...no that didn't happen.   How do I know that didn't happen you might ask.  I know that didn't happen because Life happened on Earth as a result of an Established Atmosphere already being in place.  

With the atmosphere in place and the gravity of Earth being what it is...and was then as well...there is no chance an asteroid hit the Earth and blew Life up and out of the atmosphere.  It takes a tremendous force to exit our atmosphere.  No way blow back from an asteroid hitting the Earth would have that force.

Thanks but Panspermia...not so much.

Would you like to hang up and try again?

The new study holds that the Chicxulub impact also launched 70 billion kilograms of rock into space...

https://www.history.com/news/dinosaur-asteroid-may-have-sent-life-into-space

Very welcome, dude.

Edited by Hazzard

20 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

Would you like to hang up and try again?

The new study holds that the Chicxulub impact also launched 70 billion kilograms of rock into space...

https://www.history.com/news/dinosaur-asteroid-may-have-sent-life-into-space

Very welcome, dude.

I think that is an unproven theory.  But thanks.  I'll go with what I said.

5 minutes ago, joc said:

I think that is an unproven theory.  But thanks.  I'll go with what I said.

Of course its unproven that it actually sent rocks from Earth seeded with life to other planets.

But I dont se anyone protesting the fact that a meteor can eject tons of material in to space...with our atmosphere as it were. 

1 hour ago, Hazzard said:

Of course its unproven that it actually sent rocks from Earth seeded with life to other planets.

But I dont se anyone protesting the fact that a meteor can eject tons of material in to space...with our atmosphere as it were. 

I am protesting it.  Didn't happen.

• Haha 1

I will concur that it is a possibility that debris was launched into outer space by the asteroid you speak of.

I will also concur that it is possible that some microbes did Escape Earth's atmosphere.

We don't actually know that happened but it is a possibility. So I will give you that! Happy? :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a dream once, where human from a far distant past, went to space, and their descendants recently visit Earth, there body has change/evolved, and look like grey Aliens today.