Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hi I'm new

Tschauer97

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and decided to join because hopefully somebody on here will have some answers for me. All throught my school years I struggled with English and literature classes. I can read just fine and my writing skills are excellent. The reason I struggled is because my mind does what I call "a trick". I convert every letter I see into its corresponding number in correlation with the letters position in the alphabet. Then I add it all up. I do this with all words. I cant stop it. My mind automatically does this. Is there a name for this? Does anyone else have it? Or does my mind just really like numbers? Thank you for your help in advance.

• Like 2

Welcome to UM!

3 hours ago, Tschauer97 said:

..I convert every letter I see into its corresponding number in correlation with the letters position in the alphabet. Then I add it all up. I do this with all words..

Sounds like you'd be a great codebreaker mate, apply to the Pentagon for a job..:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tschauer97 said:

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and decided to join because hopefully somebody on here will have some answers for me. All throught my school years I struggled with English and literature classes. I can read just fine and my writing skills are excellent. The reason I struggled is because my mind does what I call "a trick". I convert every letter I see into its corresponding number in correlation with the letters position in the alphabet. Then I add it all up. I do this with all words. I cant stop it. My mind automatically does this. Is there a name for this? Does anyone else have it? Or does my mind just really like numbers? Thank you for your help in advance.

Welcome to the forum!  :st

I have never heard of this.  My family has dyslexia and other OCD kinds of issues, like having to count all the tiles on the floor or count the stairs, and we prefer numbers to letters but I don't know anyone who uses the seqential number of the alphabet automatically.  You might consider training as a code breaker a cryptologist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:50 AM, Tschauer97 said:

I think that's actually pretty cool and most likely there's a reason why you have this gift, its probably annoying at times but try to embrace it and i would definitely pursue a job where you can use this gift.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:50 AM, Tschauer97 said:

Oh & welcome to the forum:st

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here :)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Tschauer97 said:

Hello there!

I think your "talent" (let's call it that) is something called "synesthesia."  People who have it have unusual skills such as being able to "hear" colors or "taste" numbers and so forth.  You're not a freak -- but it's a very rare wiring pattern of your brain.  You might want to contact some of the researchers on this topic:

https://www.livescience.com/169-rare-real-people-feel-taste-hear-color.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1