Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

There really ought to be a reckoning with the media and these "health officials" and their role in the spreading of panic. 

My main source on COVID-19 is the HP of the RKI (Robert Koch Institut) which provide pure facts without any scare tactics.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 206 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

Can someone tell me why panic buying toilet rolls is trending on twitter and has done for the last few days. it seems in response to this virus the need to buy toilet rolls is the priority. just shows how social media can influence human behaviour. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Can someone tell me why panic buying toilet rolls is trending on twitter and has done for the last few days. it seems in response to this virus the need to buy toilet rolls is the priority. just shows how social media can influence human behaviour. 

It probably dates back to project fear predictions made over the last few years, its now turned into a self fulfilling prophecy. ;)

And as it was remainers most likely to believe this hype then its probably remainers in the queue.   :devil: :lol: 

Loo roll shortages -

"One of the surprising, but vital, items that could be at risk, if there were delays in transporting goods, is toilet rollAccording to former Labour MP and Minister  for Europe Denis MacShane, "If Britain leaves the EU Customs Union and Single Market in five months’ time and the trucks transporting toilet paper are held up at Calais or Dover, British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days." 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit/no-deal-brexit-prepare-for-consequences-toilet-paper-what-happens-183014 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days." 

at last some way they can make themselves useful !! I tell you what, i'd happily buy copies of most of them to put them to that use. :yes:

• Like 2

"Old people could be forced to stay in their homes and not be a nuisance to everybody" 

~ Government Guidelines published today 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Haha 3

There are now 273 people with confirmed coronavirus infections in the UK, the Department of Health and Social Care has said.

It is the largest single increase so far, up 64 from 209 on Saturday.

Ministers are to hold a meeting of the government’s disaster emergency committee tomorrow where they could sign-off plans to move the UK into the “delay” phase of efforts to fight the virus. This would be an acknowledgement there is now no chance of containing the virus.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-cases-uk-jump-273-140300026.html

• Thanks 2

• The title was changed to 273 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

Its clear there is next to nothing we can do. The virus is running its course. 273 confirmed in a population of 65million.

Not only is the panic buying of loo rolls puzzling, but why all this panic about antibacterial hand wash.  Corvid-19 is a virus.   No antibacterial product will remove it any more efficiently than good old soap and water used correctly and long enough.

(admit not read all the posts so if this is a repeat of anyone else’s comment,  I apologise.)

• Like 5

people will always act hysterically to events like this,  always.  counting on them being calm, and rationale for  a plan to work, means the plan is doomed to fail. a person can be calm and reasonable, but people can not.  you must factor this constant parameter into the plan.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, aztek said:

people will always act hysterically to events like this,  always.  

We Brits don't, we have a special device that is used in situations like this. :D

Stiff-Upper-Lip-compressed.jpg

• Haha 3

"Volunteers from the UK are set to be deliberately infected with coronavirus as scientists race to develop a cure for the deadly disease.

"As many as 24 human guinea pigs will be paid £3,500 to take part in the trial which will see them infected with a coronavirus and banned from physical contact with the outside world for two weeks.

"Those taking part will be held in a special quarantine lab in east London owned by medical testing company Hvivo, according toThe Times."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/british-volunteers-to-be-infected-with-coronavirus-amid-scramble-to-develop-vaccine/ar-BB10U8rj

• Sad 1

'Fake news taskforce' activated to counteract coronavirus disinformation.

"The cross-government team will engage with social media firms to monitor the internet for scams and disinformation designed to cause harm or target the vulnerable."

At the Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/fake-news-taskforce-activated-counteract-21656279

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Volunteers from the UK are set to be deliberately infected with coronavirus as scientists race to develop a cure for the deadly disease.

"As many as 24 human guinea pigs will be paid £3,500 to take part in the trial which will see them infected with a coronavirus and banned from physical contact with the outside world for two weeks.

"Those taking part will be held in a special quarantine lab in east London owned by medical testing company Hvivo, according toThe Times."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/british-volunteers-to-be-infected-with-coronavirus-amid-scramble-to-develop-vaccine/ar-BB10U8rj

I admire their courage and public spirit.  I might have done something like that before I ever had a case of the flu.  I've had that twice and that was two times too many.  I wish them well!

• Like 2

Meanwhile, while Would-Be Dictator Johnson and his absurd government are losing their heads and running around in panic because they have to be seen to be Doing More to Combat the Virus, I heard today that more than 30 people - 38 in fact - have been killed on these "smart motorways" that the Department for Transport (DafT) is so keen on; this is where they remove the hard shoulder to make another lane for traffic, which means that if you break or have a puncture or whatever then you have no choice but to stop right in the line of traffic. Is the Government going to hold a meeting of the Top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee to consider ways to combat the danger of Smart Motorways? 

• Like 2

The toilet paper panic was strange.   I will say that my wife, daughter and I went to Sam's Club on Saturday.  While we were there we picked up 2 boxes of TP.  We needed some anyway, but bought an extra box for the heck of it,   We'll use it so there is no downside.  The Cosco in Fort Wayne had sold out.   Sam's had plenty left.  We also bough a bunch of non perishable food.   Stuff that we will eat, but if people panic and buy the stores out of most food, we'll be fine.   Again, all stuff that we will eat anyway.  I know by doing this I am kind of adding to the panic, but to me I'm just planning to avoid the people who do panic.  

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 5:28 PM, stevewinn said:

Regarding Loo rolls, I read a good article on the weekend by a psychologist who explained it. In a nutshell the fact that they are big items as soon as a few extra are bought the gap it begins to leave behind on the shelf perpetuates a frenzy....bottom line (excuse the pun) is that toilet paper is not a life critical item such as food and water would be....so in a true apocalyptic scenario, toilet paper would not be high on the list

....I am sure a lot of you will think the psychologist was full of s**t, sorry couldn't help that one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:

"Woman in her 70s becomes the fourth person to die of coronavirus in the UK as the number of cases jumps to 321 after health officials confirm 48 more patients have caught the deadly infection."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8091147/Wales-confirms-two-cases-killer-coronavirus-UKs-infection-toll-reaches-280.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, quillius said:

Regarding Loo rolls, I read a good article on the weekend by a psychologist who explained it. In a nutshell the fact that they are big items as soon as a few extra are bought the gap it begins to leave behind on the shelf perpetuates a frenzy....bottom line (excuse the pun) is that toilet paper is not a life critical item such as food and water would be....so in a true apocalyptic scenario, toilet paper would not be high on the list

I agree.   But if you thought things may shut down for a month or toilet paper was going to be scarce, you might as well have some extra.   It doesn't go bad and you will eventually use it.   

• Like 2

The fifth UK death.

"MailOnline understands the latest victim was a man in his 70s who was 'very unwell' and had a number of long-term health conditions'. He passed away at St Helier Hospital in Sutton, south London."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8091147/Wales-confirms-two-cases-killer-coronavirus-UKs-infection-toll-reaches-280.html

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to 321 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

Does anyone else feel as patronized by this stupid official government cartoon?

Coronavirus: What you need to know graphic featuring three key points: wash your hands for 20 seconds; use a tissue for coughs; avoid touching your face

"Bin it, bag it, sorted!" 

• Sad 1

Coronavirus: Sixth person dies in UK as confirmed cases rise to 373

The latest person in the UK to die after contracting the virus was a man in his early 80s who had "underlying health conditions".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-sixth-person-dies-in-uk-after-testing-positive-for-infection-11954511

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to 373 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

EU suspends aviation slots rule as coronavirus hammers airlines.

"The European Union will suspend a rule requiring airlines to run most of their scheduled services or else forfeit landing slots, to give carriers some breathing space as the coronavirus crisis deepens, EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said on Tuesday. The suspension of the rule would do away with “ghost flights” where airlines fly almost empty planes simply to keep their slots."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-slots/eu-suspends-aviation-slots-rule-as-coronavirus-hammers-airlines-idUKKBN20X1TU?rpc=401& 

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

This isnt a duck&cover double but an important set of information to prevent the spread of the disease.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

"Bin it, bag it, sorted!" 

People are stupid.

There are No Smoking signs outside and inside hopsitals and health centres.  There are even signs warning it's a criminal offence to violently assault the staff.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK