Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I had a few rice cakes so it was balanced. :yes:

No, no. Rice cakes are bad fud. 

Edited by Festina

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I felt the same way.

Peanut butter maybe. I ate that whole 2lb jar today....and the whole bag of chocolate chips. :yes:

Sometimes a reply needs 2 emojies hahaha

I can't talk,when i used to have to cut weight,peanut butter was a life saver!...somewhat sweet (compared to boiled eggs,chicken,or tuna) and savory at the same time...

Damn near the perfect food!

But damn bro,the WHOLE bag of chips?...hahaha

Did you perhaps eat some mary jane edibles by mistake beforhand? :rofl:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Sometimes a reply needs 2 emojies hahaha

I can't talk,when i used to have to cut weight,peanut butter was a life saver!...somewhat sweet (compared to boiled eggs,chicken,or tuna) and savory at the same time...

Damn near the perfect food!

But damn bro,the WHOLE bag of chips?...hahaha

Everything in moderation...even Water.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Festina said:

Yes, From the created “terrorism” which wears a different coat this time from the last — clever schmucks, I’ll give them that — and the subsequent created panic....not from the “disease” itself.

But it is very unlikely that there will be mass deaths — have you ever experienced the stench from the rotting of a human flesh suit two blocks away?  I can assure you — The Powers want no part of this “messiness” — I.e.   NYC.  

9/11 killed 3,300 + — the subsequent effects killed millions — All by the designers of terror.

3/11?

Pray tell...who exactly are the  'designers of terror'?

Who are these 'clever schmucks'?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

In due time, mon ami. 

All the Words a Stage.....Think. 

Edited by Festina

53 minutes ago, Piney said:

I haven't stocked up on anything. :yes:

Don't worry!  When the peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies are long gone...and you are very hungry...holler at me...I will feed you some good old beans and rice...

You will have to self quarantine for 14 days though in the chicken coop...help yourself to as many eggs as you want...please don't eat the chickens...when all my beans and rice run out...we might just have eggs to eat for awhile.

However...I will give you my scoped pellet rifle and you can shoot as many sparrows as you want.  I've never had sparrow stew but...we have hundreds so...that will keep you from being too bored while you are in the Chicken Coop Quarantine.  

I got your back Piney! :tu:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joc said:

You can't just rattle off a few names?  surely they have names....

12 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I put in 100 PUs,SUs, reverse PUs and Shaolin squats in the morning.  Then was doing my jianshu "flowers" all afternoon. 

.....maybe not my last fight........^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I put in 100 PUs,SUs, reverse PUs and Shaolin squats in the morning.  Then was doing my jianshu "flowers" all afternoon. 

Forget the chicken coop...I'll sleep out there...you can have my room!  :nw:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

I hear that :tu:

Gonna be out there in the middle of the night swinging that chainsaw around on a sugar rush though...some people get upset by that stuff on friday the 13th :lol:

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, joc said:

And In the Spirit of The Play....:yes:

For Good...

3 minutes ago, Festina said:

And In the Spirit of The Play....:yes:

For Good...

As long as you know what you are talking about...:hmm:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joc said:

As long as you know what you are talking about...:hmm:

Back at you...:yes:

Like begets like — so on and so forth. 

Edited by Festina

"Mass gatherings could be banned in the UK from as early as next weekend amid the outbreak of coronavirus.

"A government source said ministers are drawing up plans for the move - to ease pressure on emergency services.

"Scores of major sporting and cultural events have already been cancelled across the country in response to the pandemic."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51882897

No football but there's rugby league. :(

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, joc said:

I don't even think it is being 'over played' anymore.  In fact, it may be the case that it is actually being 'under played' to prevent a world wide panic.

Consider this:  In my family...if everyone contracted the disease...who would die?  My mother, probably both of my sisters, probably both of their husbands, maybe my brother, two of my aunts, both of my wife's sisters, probably my wife.  OMG...that is everyone but me!

How do you over play something like that?  This does actually have the potential for wiping out the better part of an entire generation or two.  It's mind boggling.  It isn't just media hype.   

If that where to happen your family would be the first in the world to succumb to the virus in such as way. so an exception to the rule.

Think of it this way, in the far east cases of Covid-19 where the virus originated have decreased. the number of cases in the Europe have increased. Europe is the epicentre now. Not even China or anywhere else in the Far East/Asia Pacific region.

If the Virus was the global killer you think then the far east would still be the epicentre of the Virus and death toll rising still further. Its becoming clear 3 months after the outbreak cases subside dramatically.

• Like 1

Glastonbury has got to be stopped in my opinion.

The place is a walking STD as it is.

Add thousands sharing porta loo's, tent sharing, knee deep in mud with appalling hygiene conditions and Covid 19 will have a field day, litterally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

If that where to happen your family would be the first in the world to succumb to the virus in such as way. so an exception to the rule.

Think of it this way, in the far east cases of Covid-19 where the virus originated have decreased. the number of cases in the Europe have increased. Europe is the epicentre now. Not even China or anywhere else in the Far East/Asia Pacific region.

If the Virus was the global killer you think then the far east would still be the epicentre of the Virus and death toll rising still further. Its becoming clear 3 months after the outbreak cases subside dramatically.

I agree with 99% of your posts and views but cannot on this one.

I think we have been far too complacent. The attitude that this is just a bit of flu and is being hyped up by the media I think has led us to make horrendously bad decisions.

The Far East is seeing cases reduce whilst ours rocket in Europe probably because their culture is so different. Social distancing is more an every day way of life for many of the countries. With just a few restrictions in place the transmission rates fall dramatically.

Plus they have regimented hygiene and cleaning routines. Look at the obsessive cleanliness in Japan for instance.

We continued to allow people to enter the country coming from highly infected areas. To protect the economy, mainly tourism and aviation dozens of flights continued each day from worse effected areas.

What good has it done? Both the aviation and tourism industry is financially in tatters and the virus has spread so it will impact the whole of the economy.

I am sure there are politicians and experts who already deeply regret not making these tough decisions early. 

Sure there probably would have been job loses but nothing compared to the tens of thousands the airline industry will now lose. 

If the US bans UK travel I think it is highly likely that airlines like Virgin will totally collapse and quite possibly even BA.

Then get into all the supporting businesses and we are going to experience unemployment on levels not seen in decades.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Don't we need to plug into the Equation of Dramatic Decline in cases in China the fact that the Government of Xi has substantially limited the spread of the virus via martial law?  The Chinese people are much more afraid of what the government will do to them if they break the quarantine rules than of contracting the virus.  So...wouldn't one therefore  expect a decline in cases with those sorts of stringent quarantine rules?   Consider Italy where the reverse is true...no quarantine plans...and it just went 'viral'...literally....with 17,660  cases and 1,266 deaths.  contrast those numbers with 81,000 cases and 3200 deaths in China.

i am not saying the Virus is the End of Times ...but if quarantines and self awareness and a considerable decline in mass gatherings weren't happening...the result of the spread might be significantly more disastrous.   

What is the rate of 're-infection'?  Does the infected person who overcomes the virus have immunity from the virus...or...does the infected person still have the virus?  And if they do, can they become sick again after overcoming the initial infection?  That answer appears to be yes....We still don't know everything there is to know about the virus.

One thing we do know however...when something like this hits close to one's own home...one has a tendency to re-think the entire issue.   A few weeks ago, there were no reported cases in the US.  Today there are  2400+ and over 50 have died.   Every day since last weekend, numbers are beginning to rise in counties and towns all across North Texas.  These numbers pale in comparison to the common Flu...but...this isn't the common Flu...in fact...it isn't the Flu at all...I don't think we really know what exactly we are dealing with.   All I'm really saying is that a thing can be Hyper Hyped or Under Hyped...the Virus itself isn't hyping anything...it's just spreading.  Our own understanding of the actual virus, how it spreads, who is most vulnerable, etc.  is one of the major keys in its decline.  

I lost my best friend many years ago to The Flu.  Most people don't die from the flu either...but he did. 

• Like 2

Newborn believed to be youngest COVID-19 patient in the UK

The baby's mother was reportedly brought into hospital days before giving birth and both were later found to have COVID-19.

https://news.sky.com/story/newborn-believed-to-be-youngest-coronavirus-patient-in-the-uk-11957372

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

UK deaths double in 24 hours

"Ten more people in the UK have died after testing positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 21.

"The UK's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said all of the latest to die were patients in "at-risk" groups.

"All patients NHS England gave details of had underlying health conditions and were over the age of 60."

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51889957

"Ten more people have died after being diagnosed with coronavirus, with 1,140 cases now confirmed in the UK.

"Health officials say 37,746 people have so far been tested, of which 36,606 were confirmed negative."

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-ten-more-die-after-positive-diagnosis-11957525

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to 1,140 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

@joc

@skookum

i always like to acknowledge posters who quote me.

both of you make valid points. But the virus is here, I've said it many times on the forum - Viruses are the speed champions of evolution. the Virus has to run its course, and it will - the quicker we gain herd immunity to it the better.

Staggering the rate of infection over a longer period of time will lead to a disaster. But staggering the spread is what govts have decided to do, based not on the science but on balancing what's best for the health service and its ability to deal with cases.

mortality rate is low. We are still in the range of 98% to 99% survival rate of those infected. (tested and none tested) People with underlying health issues are the ones at risk. (as they always are) Children show little or no signs of infection when they have the virus.

The closest case to me is the lad who was sent home from work because his wife tested positive. he's been communicating via works whatsapp. he's living in the house with his infected wife, and 17 year old daughter. his wife tested positive first then his daughter. yet he has returned three negative tests. his daughter has had no symptoms whatsoever yet tested positive. his wife, her symptoms where a feeling of jet lag and a cough. he's due back in work a week tomorrow. (do we not need to replicate this)

There is no vaccine (yet) and when there is there isn't the capacity to vaccinate everyone. only those at risk. - We are on our own, we are relying on hundreds of thousands of years of Human evolution - our immune system. 

The wake up call is the Human population of the World is to great, The pockets of isolation where wild animals existed (with these virus) has been depleted. the Human population is ever encroaching ever more into these wild remote pockets of wilderness, lets be honest the future is more and more Viruses spreading from Animal to Human and then Human to Human.

a cold and sobering thought is this not Mother Nature checking itself. Humanities immune system is going to be tested. - never have we been more shocked back into reality  that WE ARE part of the natural world.

But lets keep this in perspective.

United Kingdom. 65 million people.

• Testing in the UK: As of 9am on 14 March,
  • A total of 37,746 have been tested:
  • 36,606 negative
  • 1140 positive Across the UK.
  • 21 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have sadly died.
  • 1.9% mortality rate (this figure will be lower as thousands of self isolators are not accounted for)
  • 98.1% survival rate (this figure will be Higher as thousands of self isolators are not accounted for)

no one wants to die of anything but die we do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

@joc

@skookum

i always like to acknowledge posters who quote me.

both of you make valid points. But the virus is here, I've said it many times on the forum - Viruses are the speed champions of evolution. the Virus has to run its course, and it will - the quicker we gain herd immunity to it the better.

Staggering the rate of infection over a longer period of time will lead to a disaster. But staggering the spread is what govts have decided to do, based not on the science but on balancing what's best for the health service and its ability to deal with cases.

mortality rate is low. We are still in the range of 98% to 99% survival rate of those infected. (tested and none tested) People with underlying health issues are the ones at risk. (as they always are) Children show little or no signs of infection when they have the virus.

The closest case to me is the lad who was sent home from work because his wife tested positive. he's been communicating via works whatsapp. he's living in the house with his infected wife, and 17 year old daughter. his wife tested positive first then his daughter. yet he has returned three negative tests. his daughter has had no symptoms whatsoever yet tested positive. his wife, her symptoms where a feeling of jet lag and a cough. he's due back in work a week tomorrow. (do we not need to replicate this)

There is no vaccine (yet) and when there is there isn't the capacity to vaccinate everyone. only those at risk. - We are on our own, we are relying on hundreds of thousands of years of Human evolution - our immune system. 

The wake up call is the Human population of the World is to great, The pockets of isolation where wild animals existed (with these virus) has been depleted. the Human population is ever encroaching ever more into these wild remote pockets of wilderness, lets be honest the future is more and more Viruses spreading from Animal to Human and then Human to Human.

a cold and sobering thought is this not Mother Nature checking itself. Humanities immune system is going to be tested. - never have we been more shocked back into reality  that WE ARE part of the natural world.

But lets keep this in perspective.

United Kingdom. 65 million people.

• Testing in the UK: As of 9am on 14 March,
  • A total of 37,746 have been tested:
  • 36,606 negative
  • 1140 positive Across the UK.
  • 21 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have sadly died.
  • 1.9% mortality rate (this figure will be lower as thousands of self isolators are not accounted for)
  • 98.1% survival rate (this figure will be Higher as thousands of self isolators are not accounted for)

no one wants to die of anything but die we do.

Gotta go sometime.  

Thank you.  

Somethings to consider 

The age and condition of the people who died would be very useful.  And yet...crickets for the most part.

It seems Peeps don’t die from the flu, they die from pneumonia brought on by the flu. 

The drug Amiodarone which causes pneumonitis  lung damage is mostly administered to the elderly who are housed in nursing facilities where most of the deaths occurred in the US.  

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/amiodarone-side-effects.html

In Summary

Commonly reported side effects of amiodarone include: hypersensitivity pneumonitis, interstitial pneumonitis, pulmonary [Lung] toxicity, pulmonary [lung]  alveolitis, hypotension, corneal deposits, ataxia, blurred vision, decreased visual acuity, dermatological reaction, gastrointestinal signs and symptoms, peripheral neuropathy, photophobia, phototoxicity, skin photosensitivity, visual halos around lights, and xerophthalmia. Other side effects include: persistent ventricular tachycardia, pneumonitis, bradycardia, abnormal hepatic function tests, nausea, abnormal gait, asthenia, constipation, cough, dizziness, dyspnea, fatigue, heart block, involuntary body movements, neurotoxicity, paresthesia, solar dermatitis, tremor, visual disturbance, blue-gray skin pigmentation, anorexia, and malaise. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.

Pneumonitis — https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonitis

Pneumonitis is an inflammation of lung tissue[1][2] due to factors other than microorganisms. Those can be radiation therapy of the chest,[3] exposure to medications used during chemo-therapy, the inhalation of debris (e.g., animal dander) of food particles during vomiting, herbicides or fluorocarbons and some systemic diseases.

"Police to get powers to detain people suspected of having Covid-19 under emergency law."

"The new legislation will also allow the government to force schools or nurseries to stay open if they're closed by staff during the pandemic."

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-uk-police-powers-detain-suspected-covid-19-emergency-law-2450654

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

"Police to get powers to detain people suspected of having Covid-19 under emergency law."

"The new legislation will also allow the government to force schools or nurseries to stay open if they're closed by staff during the pandemic."

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-uk-police-powers-detain-suspected-covid-19-emergency-law-2450654

Google “George Carlin Germs Immune system”.  It has profanity  so I’m not going to post the vid.  Hilarious...and true. 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK