Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

@Festina

In the UK Flu virus varies drastically from year to year, in 2014/2015 there was 28,000 deaths. in 2018/2019 1,653. deaths.

the Ten people reported today who've sadly died in the UK where one male aged in his 70's, 8 aged in their 80's and one man in his 90's

At least with this Coronavirus the vast majority of people survive 98% - 99%. unlike something such as the Rabies virus which has a death rate of 100%. its believed only one person in recorded history as actually survived. (without vaccination) Rabies continues to kill 50,000 to 60,000 people annually.

So, people need to be sensible and not let panic take over, a mate of mine the other day told me he'd bought £30 worth of toilet rolls. he done it because social media was awash with tweets of people buying toilet rolls and empty shelves. he lets slip on the same day he bought £35 worth of pasta and koka noodles.

We have many months ahead of us many more cases of infection and with it a rising death toll.

people who are in close contact with vulnerable people, beit family, friends and relatives need to take precautions but for the vast majority of the population its should be business as usual. otherwise hysteria is going to win the day. Lets be thankful its Coronavirus and not a Rabies type.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Festina said:

It seems Peeps don’t die from the flu, they die from pneumonia brought on by the flu. 

My best friend died from the Flu...not pneumonia. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Lets be thankful its Coronavirus and not a Rabies type.

I don't even think we really know yet what it is we have.

15 minutes ago, joc said:

My best friend died from the Flu...not pneumonia. 

I’m sorry to hear that your best friend has left you. 

How does the flu actually kill people?

.....One Sunday in November 20-year-old Alani Murrieta of Phoenix began to feel sick and left work early. She had no preexisting medical conditions but her health declined at a frighteningly rapid pace, as detailed by her family and friends in local media and on BuzzFeed News. The next day she went to an urgent care clinic, where she was diagnosed with the flu and prescribed the antiviral medication Tamiflu. But by Tuesday morning she was having trouble breathing and was spitting up blood. Her family took her to the hospital, where x-rays revealed pneumonia: inflammation in the lungs that can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection, or both.....

....In other cases it is not the flu virus itself that triggers an overwhelming and potentially fatal immune response but rather a secondary infection that takes advantage of a taxed immune system. Typically, bacteria—often a species of Streptococcus or Staphylococcus—infect the lungs. A bacterial infection in the respiratory tract can potentially spread to other parts of the body and the blood, even leading to septic shock: a life-threatening, body-wide, aggressive inflammatory response that damages multiple organs.....

More here.  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-does-the-flu-actually-kill-people/

Edited by Festina

12 hours ago, joc said:

I don't even think we really know yet what it is we have.

We've already mapped the Viruses DNA or RNA. back on January 24th. twenty other sequences of the novel coronavirus genome have been obtained worldwide, and if we compare them, we can see that they are all very close, there is not much diversity in the viruses analysed, which suggests that coronavirus 2019-nCoV did not need to mutate in order to adapt and spread.

The trouble with lock downs is this will give the Virus more time to potentially mutate.

Coronavirus as been known since the late 50's. Its even been dated back to as far as 8000 BC. many of your house hold cleaning products, Dettol for example states on the back of the label kills Human coronavirus.

It should be well understood by science its the spreading of the virus and how best to control it.

ERIPTH5HWNFYTOVNARKI5S5V3M.jpg

• Like 1

possibly there are glimmers that the UK Government, stupid and authoritarian as it is, is beginning to look at facts and realise that it might be sensible to target advice and medical support towards those who are most likely to be affected by it rather than the sweeping "Millions could be affected! Hundreds of thousands could die!!" panicmongering that the Government, having no idea other than follow its authoritarian instincts, has hitherto offered, to the help of no one and whose result has merely been to spread panic among certain of the more stupid elements of the population, Admittedly so far their advice - essentially "Old people have been told to stay indoors and not be a nuisance to everybody" - is patronizing and unhelpful, but at least they do seem to be targeting it at the correct sector of the population. 

Reported on BBC news that Europe is now the epicentre of the outbreak......er so Trump was right then.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

possibly there are glimmers that the UK Government, stupid and authoritarian as it is, is beginning to look at facts and realise that it might be sensible to target advice and medical support towards those who are most likely to be affected by it rather than the sweeping "Millions could be affected! Hundreds of thousands could die!!" panicmongering that the Government, having no idea other than follow its authoritarian instincts, has hitherto offered, to the help of no one and whose result has merely been to spread panic among certain of the more stupid elements of the population, Admittedly so far their advice - essentially "Old people have been told to stay indoors and not be a nuisance to everybody" - is patronizing and unhelpful, but at least they do seem to be targeting it at the correct sector of the population. 

This kind of post is why I have you on ignore lol.

Not one part of that is true, you have distorted everything.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Reported on BBC news that Europe is now the epicentre of the outbreak......er so Trump was right then.

Sainsburys have sent an email out saying they have food shortages due to panic buying.

It is trying to reassure there is enough to go around, but only if people stop panicking. In my opinion the email will make it worse because the perception is now that food supplies are under threat due to the panic buying. Therefore you best panic buy with all the other people we can see clearly doing it, or we will starve.

I have been out today and its the busiest Sunday I have ever seen, we even have traffic jams its that bad. The UK Government will need to issue ration books ASAP or people will indeed starve, in my opinion. It wont be me, I`m hoarded up to the eyeballs here!

I`m going to be going on lockdown shortly, I aint leaving the house for 2 months.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Sainsburys have sent an email out saying they have food shortages due to panic buying.

It is trying to reassure there is enough to go around, but only if people stop panicking. In my opinion the email will make it worse because the perception is now that food supplies are under threat due to the panic buying. Therefore you best panic buy with all the other people we can see clearly doing it, or we will starve.

I have been out today and its the busiest Sunday I have ever seen, we even have traffic jams its that bad. The UK Government will need to issue ration books ASAP or people will indeed starve, in my opinion. It wont be me, I`m hoarded up to the eyeballs here!

I`m going to be going on lockdown shortly, I aint leaving the house for 2 months.

Are you in the at risk group?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

UK infections rise to 1,372, as deaths now total 35.  (A rise of 232 and 14, respectively.)

Telegraph Live : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-latest-news-uk-covid-19-spain-deaths-cases/

• As of 9am on 15 March.
  • A total of 40,279 have been tested.
  • 38,907 negative.
  • 1,372 positive.
  • 35 Deaths. (all with underlying health issues)
  • 65 million population. remain negative.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), most mongoose species are listed as threatened, but not extinct.

Mongoose facts: https://www.livescience.com/52565-mongoose.html

Surely ones risk status goes up if they are already "rabid"?...:unsure2:

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Well, I've just been to B+M, Wilko's and Liddle. 

No signs of panic buying, other than detergent. And even THEN, they hadn't run out !

Oh.. and plenty of toilet paper as well :)

(this is in the East Midlands). 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The epicenter will move as the virus takes its course.  Shutting down travel throughout Europe and to the US might have been prudent a month ago, its a little late now to stop the spread.  Look at pictures of the crowds standing at the US ports of entry.  Standing shoulder to shoulder for 6-8 hours waiting for customs.  If three or four in each of those crowds had been infected, they would have passed it on to a hundred  before going through customs.  Those hundred not showing symptoms will disperse to their homes across the US, some catching other flights to do so.

All of the real military studies about pandemics  and all of the popular fiction about virus from space, or zombies, or bacteria from  the center of the earth have only taught us one lesson.  We have forgotten all of the steps to isolate and eradicate the infection.  All we remember is how to panic.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The epicenter will move as the virus takes its course.  Shutting down travel throughout Europe and to the US might have been prudent a month ago, its a little late now to stop the spread.  Look at pictures of the crowds standing at the US ports of entry.  Standing shoulder to shoulder for 6-8 hours waiting for customs.  If three or four in each of those crowds had been infected, they would have passed it on to a hundred  before going through customs.  Those hundred not showing symptoms will disperse to their homes across the US, some catching other flights to do so.

All of the real military studies about pandemics  and all of the popular fiction about virus from space, or zombies, or bacteria from  the center of the earth have only taught us one lesson.  We have forgotten all of the steps to isolate and eradicate the infection.  All we remember is how to panic.

In all reality,there was never a real world solution to stopping the spread outside of shutting down entire countries and economies all at once...

Just think of how many times in 1 day a single dollar bill gets passed from one person,to another,to another...and imagine that a million times plus in a single day.

It's a globalized world,and we're all living in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

NHS does not have enough ventilators to tackle coronavirus, Matt Hancock admits

Full report at the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/15/nhs-not-enough-ventilators-tackle-coronavirus-matt-hancock-admits-12399946/?

As of today the UK cases has the highest growth from yesterdays figures.

If it continues then in 2 days time we will have the largest number of new cases per day.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Shutting down travel throughout Europe and to the US might have been prudent a month ago, its a little late now to stop the spread. 

It was too late to stop the spread as soon as we realized that asymptomatic people could begin shedding the virus.  THAT was game over to any possibility of stopping it.  Stopping it is no longer the goal.  Slowing it is the goal.  Otherwise, we will see many die who needn't have, simply because too many are critically ill at the same time.  I think we've got a long summer ahead and it's going to be a sad one for many families.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

As of today the UK cases has the highest growth from yesterdays figures.

If it continues then in 2 days time we will have the largest number of new cases per day.

is this comparing to other countries or do you mean just here in the UK? comparing our own daily figures?

this is the scene for today. what's up with Italy? All that fresh fish and olive oil diet ain't doing sheet, but seriously why are they being hit hard?  is it their demographic? elderly population?

ETKuu0DWoAAbwat?format=jpg&name=medium

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

is this comparing to other countries or do you mean just here in the UK? comparing our own daily figures?

this is the scene for today. what's up with Italy? All that fresh fish and olive oil diet ain't doing sheet, but seriously why are they being hit hard?  is it their demographic? elderly population?

ETKuu0DWoAAbwat?format=jpg&name=medium

Italy has accelerated its new cases to 20% per day.

We are low but sky rocketing, we have the steepest growth curve of all.

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK