Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

15 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

this is the scene for today. what's up with Italy? All that fresh fish and olive oil diet ain't doing sheet, but seriously why are they being hit hard?  is it their demographic? elderly population

I think one reason for the spread in Italy is their welcome culture. They shake hands, they very often give cheek kisses left/right and hug.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Italy has accelerated its new cases to 20% per day.

We are low but sky rocketing, we have the steepest growth curve of all.

Spain today.

• death toll rose by 152 overnight to 288.
  • The number infected rose by 2,000 new cases to 7,753.

United Kingdom.

• death toll rose by 14 overnight to 35.
  • The number of infected rose by 232 new cases to 1,372.

France.

• death toll rose by 21 overnight to 120.
  • the number of infected rose by 951 new cases to 5,4000

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, toast said:

I think one reason for the spread in Italy is their welcome culture. They shake hands, they very often give cheek kisses left/right and hug.

interesting explanation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

In all reality,there was never a real world solution to stopping the spread outside of shutting down entire countries and economies all at once...

You can't stop it but you can slow it down so it does not overwhelm our health and security systems.  You can buy time as you are developing a vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

t was too late to stop the spread as soon as we realized that asymptomatic people could begin shedding the virus.  THAT was game over to any possibility of stopping it.  Stopping it is no longer the goal.  Slowing it is the goal.  Otherwise, we will see many die who needn't have, simply because too many are critically ill at the same time.  I think we've got a long summer ahead and it's going to be a sad one for many families.

Excellent summation.  If we slow it enough, our health system can better deal with it.  All they while, lots of  research is going into developing  a vaccine. 

• Like 2

It's not often I'd find myself agreeing with Peter Hitchens, believe you me, but Britain is infected... by a bad case of madness

• Like 1

No doubt it will soon become impossible, under some frantic Emergency Powers Regime, to make this point. 

I’ll be accused of giving aid and comfort to the virus, or of spreading Alarm and Despondency. 

But before the roadblocks go up, and you need a pass to go to work, I thought I’d say it anyway. 

:yes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

You can't stop it but you can slow it down so it does not overwhelm our health and security systems.  You can buy time as you are developing a vaccine.

there might be a slight problem with creating a vaccine. all attempts to date to create a vaccine for the family of Coronaviruses has ended up in failure. as the vaccines created have made the condition worse in trials.

No doubt we'll see news stories about vaccine and trials, but that's still a long way off from actually having a safe vaccine.

its been 70 years and we haven't developed a Coronavirus vaccine (for any of the known strains) the common cold is caused by one of the Coronavirus strains. we are still waiting for a vaccine for that. So unless this strain 19 is different i wouldn't hold my breath on a vaccine anytime soon. 

• Thanks 2

it's good to see that in Johnson's britain, freedom of speech is the very last thing the media would crack down on. I appear to have been blocked from commenting on news stories on our local paper website, possibly because I expressed some contrary opinions to their relentless obsession with Rhinovirus-19. There was currently, I think, nine stories out of the top 15 that contrive to mention Coronavirus in some way or other. But don't you dare to try to express any opinion that this might be wildly excessive*. 

* particularly since the number of cases so far in the local area is six 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

there might be a slight problem with creating a vaccine. all attempts to date to create a vaccine for the family of Coronaviruses has ended up in failure. as the vaccines created have made the condition worse in trials.

No doubt we'll see news stories about vaccine and trials, but that's still a long way off from actually having a safe vaccine.

its been 70 years and we haven't developed a Coronavirus vaccine (for any of the known strains) the common cold is caused by one of the Coronavirus strains. we are still waiting for a vaccine for that. So unless this strain 19 is different i wouldn't hold my breath on a vaccine anytime soon. 

Drug R&D technology has made great progress during the last years so I think we are at a very better stage than years ago.

Example:

On average, drug discovery and development of a single pharmaceutical takes 4.5 to 5 years, with upward of 10 years considered common. But British start-up Exscientia and Japanese pharmaceutical firm Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma have turned this on its head by leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) to reduce the timeline to less than one year—and that AI-created drug is now entering a Phase I human clinical trial.

Full article

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Hmm.. and yet.. we DO have flu vaccines ? 

• Like 2

Local doctors surgery at the Health centre is not accepting appointments unless it's an emergency.  :(

Shops are very busy and wiped clean of toilet roll, sardines, pasta and beans, at 10am on a monday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. and yet.. we DO have flu vaccines ? 

We do, but the Coronavirus family of viruses as alluded us thus far. Vaccine have been made in the past 2004, 2006, 2009, but all assisted the virus in spreading. unless this Covid-19 strain is different then i doubt we'll see a vaccine any time soon.

The Flu, vaccine confers 40% effectiveness in 18 to 65's. 15%. 66 years and over.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Low-risk inmates could be released temporarily to ease pressure during coronavirus outbreak, head of prison officers union suggests

Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/15/low-risk-inmates-could-released-temporarily-ease-pressure-coronavirus/

Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/15/british-prisoners-released-stop-coronavirus-spread-12400611/

:( All the tea-leafs and louts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Low-risk inmates could be released temporarily to ease pressure during coronavirus outbreak, head of prison officers union suggests

Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/15/low-risk-inmates-could-released-temporarily-ease-pressure-coronavirus/

Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/15/british-prisoners-released-stop-coronavirus-spread-12400611/

:( All the tea-leafs and louts.

Alternatively, hang the serious offenders to ease staffing pressures.

• Haha 4

Looks like we're heading for lockdown.

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said "everyone" in the UK should now avoid "non-essential contact" with others and stop non-essential travel to fight coronavirus.

"He said people should work from home where possible as part of a range of stringent new measures."

Breaking news BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51917562

*dashes out to buy more Mars bars*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the States....West Virginia is the only state that doesn't have a case yet.

307163460_coronavirusmap.jpg.c32f016609fbd24260bfb3193148a1f3.jpg

LINK

Edited by joc
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Coronavirus outbreak could last until next spring and hospitalise 7.9 million, says leaked Public Health England document

The figures in the leaked document used "reasonable worse-case scenario figures".

Sky: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-phe-document-says-7-9-million-britons-could-be-hospitalised-11958143

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, joc said:

In the States....West Virginia is the only state that doesn't have a case yet.

307163460_coronavirusmap.jpg.c32f016609fbd24260bfb3193148a1f3.jpg

LINK

West Virginians dont go out to meet women.

They marry their sisters instead lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose

So Dictator Johnson, perhaps stung by the derision with which his command to all over-70s to lock themselves away for four months seems to have been greeted by the majority of people, has now issued a diktat that everyone should 'avoid all non-essential travel' and avoid shops and not go to work and oh, everything really. He was rabbiting on something about "we are now commencing the rapid growth stage of the bell curve" or some such. So if you know that it's a seasonal cycle, if you know that what are generically classified as 'coronaviruses' (and they're well known, this one is just a novel new version) follow a seasonal pattern and that within a month or so it will have begun to peter out, why does the ridiculous man think that he can control it by issuing orders to his people? Honestly, how does anyone still take this absurd man seriously? He really does seem to be as mad as Blair was over Iraq, although even he didn't try to restrain the liberty of his citizens. And his sycophantic lackeys, these absurd Jeremy Hunts and whoever else there are, knowing that they depend on him for their chances of advancement, with their preposterously vague "predictions"; "5000 people might have it! Or 10,000! don't ask me!", "800,000 Britons may be hospitalized!" "no, eight million!", and so on. Even those who clung to belief in him because they were so desperate for Brexit must surely be having doubts by now. 

UK's sewage system in danger of gridlock from toilet paper substitutes

Shortages amid coronavirus panic buying could cause wet wipe and kitchen roll fatbergs

Consumers have been warned of the dangers of substituting kitchen roll and wet wipes for toilet paper which – if flushed down the loo – could overwhelm the UK’s sewers.

Innocent consumer substitutions due to shortages caused by fears about the spread of coronovirus could create serious consequences which are critical to society and life, according to leading supply chain academic Prof Richard Wilding.

The warning comes amid panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, which has resulted in some people trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online.

The Guardian

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, toast said:

The warning comes amid panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, which has resulted in some people trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online.

So...all of these people mad rushing to all the stores...all over the world...in every community, in every country, buying everything in sight, toilet paper, produce, meats, canned goods, bags of beans and rice....

and you know what else they all are doing?  They are loading all of this stuff in the backs of their cars, getting in, and spraying their hands with sanitizer or alcohol.  Then you know what they are doing?  They are going home and putting all this stuff in their pantries.

But....are they washing all their produce?  Are they wiping down all the cans and packages of toilet paper, etc. with alcohol?  Did they wipe down their steering wheels when they got in the car?  Did they wipe their wallets and credit cards they stuck in the machine that everyone else sticks their same cards in? Did they throw all of their plastic bags in the trash?  ...or did they put them in their pantry to use at some point for something else?  

I did.  But that's just me.  And in comparison, I had over 120 large fire ant mounds...I painstakingly killed all of them.  Never got stung once.  This morning...I planted some little flowers in a flower pot that was also containing fire ants...I got stung several times on both hands.   Just goes to show that...no matter how careful we are...it's only a matter of time...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

The PM decision to tell people to stay away from pubs, clubs and bars struck the final nail in my coffin last night.

Already struggling from the collapse of the airline travel my only hope was to plod on with local work to keep my head above water.

Doctors surgeries shut, supermarkets stripped bare and people working from home along with the hospitality likely ban makes travel worthless.

To top it off my wife's company has asked all employees to drop hours or face mandatory lay offs next week. I have a lot of unpaid account work.

Big businesses are doing the usual trick of holding back payments which is only exasperating the situation.

My wife and I believe we can cover our costs on this months payments. However this will require overdrafts etc.

I probably have 2 to 3 weeks then total financial ruin.

No light at the end of the tunnel is expected in my trade only things to worsen rapidly.

At the moment people are defying the pub/restaurant advice which is putting food on the table. I suspect this will shortly be an ordered closure which is effectively game over.

It will certainly be a different life as there won't be much left.

I would work anywhere if it would keep my head above water. I would happily clean hospitals if it would help.

This is nothing like war time. They needed a strong workforce to keep things running.

People like me will shortly be a burden on society and serve no constructive purpose. 

I have got up again after numerous recessions and crisis in the past. I just don't think I can do it again and I suspect this will take many years if not a decade to recover from. 

• Sad 3

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK