Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

23 minutes ago, skookum said:

The PM decision to tell people to stay away from pubs, clubs and bars struck the final nail in my coffin last night.

Already struggling from the collapse of the airline travel my only hope was to plod on with local work to keep my head above water.

Doctors surgeries shut, supermarkets stripped bare and people working from home along with the hospitality likely ban makes travel worthless.

To top it off my wife's company has asked all employees to drop hours or face mandatory lay offs next week. I have a lot of unpaid account work.

Big businesses are doing the usual trick of holding back payments which is only exasperating the situation.

My wife and I believe we can cover our costs on this months payments. However this will require overdrafts etc.

I probably have 2 to 3 weeks then total financial ruin.

No light at the end of the tunnel is expected in my trade only things to worsen rapidly.

At the moment people are defying the pub/restaurant advice which is putting food on the table. I suspect this will shortly be an ordered closure which is effectively game over.

It will certainly be a different life as there won't be much left.

I would work anywhere if it would keep my head above water. I would happily clean hospitals if it would help.

This is nothing like war time. They needed a strong workforce to keep things running.

People like me will shortly be a burden on society and serve no constructive purpose. 

I have got up again after numerous recessions and crisis in the past. I just don't think I can do it again and I suspect this will take many years if not a decade to recover from. 

Sadly I don't think you're the only one. It will be interesting to see how willing the banks are to bail out the people. It was our money that saved them, we haven't forgot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, likwidlite said:

Sadly I don't think you're the only one. It will be interesting to see how willing the banks are to bail out the people. It was our money that saved them, we haven't forgot.

I suspect they will need bailing out again before Coronavirus is over.

Plus half of the worlds businesses.

• Like 2

"Business rates for thousands of small businesses across the UK have been abolished as part of an emergency package to help with the economic impact of coronavirus.

"The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, has set out a package of temporary, timely and targeted measures to support public services, people and businesses through this period of disruption caused by COVID-19."

"This includes:

• a statutory sick pay relief package for SMEs
  • a Business Rate Relief for small businesses and pubs
  • small business grant funding of £3,000 for all business in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief (SBRR) and Rural Rates Relief
  • the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme to support long-term viable businesses who may need to respond to cash-flow pressures by seeking additional finance
  • the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme"

Full report at Rochdale Online UK: https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/1/business-news/133316/coronavirus-business-rates-abolished-for-thousands-of-small-businesses-to-ease-economic-impactt

COVID-19: support for businesses

UK Gov: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

Mortgage holiday and £330bn of govt-backed loans announced

At Sky: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-330bn-of-government-backed-loans-for-businesses-11959156

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

The party is in full flow I would say

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Update: 26% rise in cases

UK infections rise to 1,950, as deaths now total 71.  (A rise of 407 and 14, respectively.)

Sky: https://news.sky.com/story/uk-coronavirus-cases-reach-1-950-up-407-in-24-hours-11958875

China has it almost totally under control and I think we are about 2 months behind them.

• Like 2

So Spanish flu lasted from January 1918 to December 1920.

The problem with that (which was a related virus) is there were 3 waves caused by two additional mutations. It was the 2nd wave which was most deadly by far. While our leaders have said a vaccine could be 18 months out, unfortunately Corona Virus mutates at a faster rate than that. It can be as low as a 2 month mutation period. A mutation has already occurred and there are two strains doing their rounds in case anybody has missed it.

Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

With the Spanish Flu the UK did a better job of managing that than most with a flatter more drawn out infection period. I wonder if the same tactics were adopted back then as we are using now???? Either way I think it might be best for us to catch it as quickly as possible (if we are young) and to hide from it until a vaccine is produced (if we are old). By getting all those in the lower risk groups infected as soon as possible a long drawn out period of economic instability can be avoided. Hopefully with better technology we can create an effective vaccine unlike the Spanish Flu episode.

WHO said Corona Virus is harmed by UV radiation and summer temperatures so I am guessing as Spring is starting that the infection rate will decline before growing again in Autumn. There is also information about Chinese treatments available to WHO and it looks like the virus takes the following cause:

Step 1: 5 days mild flu.

Step 2: 1-2 days of recovery.

Step 3: The illness comes back with a vengeance damaging lung, heart, stomach, and testicle tissue.

Step 4: The damage is not severe but our immune systems kick into full throttle removing and replacing damaged or destroyed cells, and wiping out the Corona Virus.

Step 5: While our lungs are regenerating, lower levels of oxygen in our blood causes breathlessness. In response our bodies release hormones dilating our veins and arteries so more blood volume can be pumped through our lungs. This is where the problems start for those in the at risk groups. Death is being caused by blood clots of red and white cells due to lower blood pressure. Those clots are causing multiple organ failure.

Treatment at the moment consists of anti-inflammatories (to reduce the number of healthy lung cells suiciding alongside the damaged ones), anti-histamines (to lower the immune response), and oxygen therapy (to reduce the constriction of veins and arteries). Good hydration also keeps blood pressure up to stop blood clots of red and white cells forming.

The greatest risk groups are those with pre-existing heart disease or heart damage.

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to 1,950 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

"Panic buying by British shoppers over coronavirus is getting worse despite appeals for calm, and supermarket bosses are concerned the government is yet to get to grips with the magnitude of the crisis, industry sources told Reuters."

Full story at Reuters: Link

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here is a question. Do you think:

A: Was the Government rapid change the result of new science data?

B: The Government back tracked on its plan of 'herd immunity' as it was the sole country following this strategy?

I personally think B. Maybe not soley because it was lone country but the sacrifice of lives would have been disproportionately high to other countries.

If it was ever proved B was the plan early on. How many opportunities were missed to contain it early on. For example masses coming in unchecked from Italian hotspots.

• Sad 1

"Italy on Tuesday added more than 3,500 new positive cases, bringing its total to 31,506.

"In addition, another 345 people with the virus have died, bringing Italy’s total deaths to 2,503."

Fox News: Link

"France to deploy 100,000 police to enforce coronavirus lockdown"

France24: Link

"The RKI also warned that an increasing number of COVID-19 infections cannot be traced back to known cases.

"Germany currently has over 9,200 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 24 deaths.

"The RKI warned that the coronavirus pandemic could last two years, as pandemics tend to run their course in waves."

DW: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Meanwhile,  prize quote from DJ and former TV presenter Chris Evans: "Tell us what to do and we'll do it!", he pleaded of Prime Minister Boris Johnson today. :rolleyes: How much politicians must love that kind of people. 

• Haha 1

Well amid the chaos, the panic shopping, and hysteria, what can one do?

Except go for a nice cold pint down the pub and have a laugh about it all before we die. While out notice how busy it is, notice that not only is your pub open but packed, and then realise that no one is following the advice of the UK Government so you might as well not either.

Best get it in quick because once the PM figures it out he will put us all under enforced lock down! lmao.

• Haha 1

"The number of people infected worldwide with the new coronavirus has crested the 200,000 mark and deaths topped 8,000, with the number of people now recovered at more than 82,000, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.

"Desperate travelers choked European border crossings on Wednesday after nations implemented strict controls in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus, creating traffic jams miles long and slowing the passage of trucks carrying critical supplies."

Times of Israel: Link

Boston25 News: Link

• Like 2

PMQ's today.  Elderly members did not attend.

Noticeable difference on one side.

pq.png

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to 2,626 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

There are rumours spreading around that the army is building up near Birmingham.

Also claims people in the Police force have been told of a total lockdown to start tomorrow at 17.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, skookum said:

There are rumours spreading around that the army is building up near Birmingham.

Also claims people in the Police force have been told of a total lockdown to start tomorrow at 17.00.

Same kinda rumours in Glasgow.  Soldiers on the streets from Friday night.

News: "All schools in Scotland and Wales set to close by Friday"

Sky: Link

"The coronavirus death toll in the UK has now reached 104 after the NHS said a further 32 people had died in England after testing positive.

"Confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK rose to 2,626 on Wednesday, from 1,950 on Tuesday.

"There have been 56,221 tests carried out in the UK for Covid-19, of which 53,595 were confirmed negative."

BBC: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

Sorry I should correct myself. They believe lockdown starts Friday 17.00 is being suggested with emergency laws to be pushed through house of commons tomorrow.

I am hoping this is just Chinese whispers. 

• Like 2

a mate of mine said he seen army convoy on the M6 moving North. (earlier today) thought nothing of it until your post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The number of people dying from coronavirus in Italy has risen by 475 in one day to nearly 3,000 - the biggest increase since the outbreak.

"There are a total of 35,713 confirmed cases in the country, with more than 4,000 having successfully recovered.

"Lombardy, the worst-hit region, recorded 319 deaths in one day."

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51952712

:(

• Sad 1

I'm still somewhat stunned at the surreality of it all - to shut down the world and its economies for a virus that seems harmless to most people. And suddenly a tiny percentage of the population who are always at risk underlying health issues the old and infirm constitute a group for concern when they haven't previously been.

I look at the UK 65 million people. 107 deaths?

world seven, nearly 8 BILLION people. 7,864 Deaths.

am i missing something here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“We’re not only talking about the older generations.

"We’re talking about people aged between 30 and 50, who come in here.

"Frankly speaking lung scans of these patients are scary”.

Pics at VRT Belgium: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/03/17/lung-scans-covid-19-thirtysomethings-show-scary-picture/

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

“We’re not only talking about the older generations.

"We’re talking about people aged between 30 and 50, who come in here.

"Frankly speaking lung scans of these patients are scary”.

Pics at VRT Belgium: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/03/17/lung-scans-covid-19-thirtysomethings-show-scary-picture/

and then they recover and carry on. As we've seen with S.Korean patients. 

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK