Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

9 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I'm still somewhat stunned at the surreality of it all - to shut down the world and its economies for a virus that seems harmless to most people. And suddenly a tiny percentage of the population who are always at risk underlying health issues the old and infirm constitute a group for concern when they haven't previously been.

I look at the UK 65 million people. 107 deaths?

world seven, nearly 8 BILLION people. 7,864 Deaths.

am i missing something here?

About half a million deaths in the UK alone, over the next five months, according to the Imperial College model.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

The wife's just got back from the supermarket, no food or beer:w00t: on the shelves, she managed to get me some deodorant, i might go hungry but at least i'll smell nice. 

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I'm still somewhat stunned at the surreality of it all - to shut down the world and its economies for a virus that seems harmless to most people. And suddenly a tiny percentage of the population who are always at risk underlying health issues the old and infirm constitute a group for concern when they haven't previously been.

Corona Virus isn't a walk in the park for a young healthy adult.

Most of them are predicted to be in the mild to moderate symptoms group but when you actually look at the symptoms they have classed as mild to moderate they include pneumonia. That is not a mild or moderate symptom in any other disease. If you get it then its been described as the flu x 10.

Most of the world is in the earlier stages, this started in China in October last year. While we have been able to act sooner than China did then we arent going to peak in the number of infections/deaths for another couple of months yet. While an anti-viral drug used for malaria has been found effectively in reducing the severity of symptoms by an estimated 40% the real danger to come from Corona Virus is when (not if) it mutates further.

Corona Virus has a high mutation rate so they might be 1 or move waves yet to come. And if any of those mutations make it more lethal the problems will not only be more worse but will likely take hold in countries including China yet again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

The wife's just got back from the supermarket, no food or beer:w00t: on the shelves, she managed to get me some deodorant, i might go hungry but at least i'll smell nice. 

Well.... until you have used your toilet rolls.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Well.... until you have used your toilet rolls.

The only consolation there is if there ain't much going in one end there ain't much coming out of the other, i needed to go on a diet anyway.

• Haha 4

"A mortuary in the heart of London is being expanded to cope with the bodies of coronavirus victims.

"Work began today at Westminster morgue, where the capacity to store 102 corpses is likely to be almost doubled to deal with the COVID-19 crisis.

"It will also be used for post-mortem examinations.

"The capital is a coronavirus hotspot, where at least 35 of the 104 UK deaths so far have been recorded."

At Stray FM (radio): Link

"Individual funerals may not be possible if coronavirus reaches the worst predictions of deaths in Wales.

"The Welsh Government has admitted that the projection of 20,000 deaths in Wales could rise to 25,000 during the outbreak.

"Today, the health minister Vaughan Gething told an Assembly committee that it could get to the point that people may not be able to be buried individually."

At Wales Online: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 2

Con artists pretending to be Red Cross workers

Glasgow: Link

Council warns of scammers pretending to shop for elderly

Rochdale: Link

Hospital appeals to visitors not to steal hand gel

Clydebank: Link

Grrr.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

I am starting to think the world should have locked down the old and vulnerable and let this play out.

I fear the world will be a very different place once this is over. 

I do think the UK has been backed into a corner by not following the draconian measures taken by others.

I see Macron was mouthing off demanding we take stricter measures on social distancing. He is warning we could face bans.

• Like 1

I've received numerous calls this evening from family and friends asking if there is going to be a lock down on Friday enforced by the military. Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle basically all the major cities. 

I dont have time to check. Have peoples heads fell off or is there some truth in it?

One thing that might be in it. Is we might be about to be tested en masse. To get a better understanding how wide spread it is in the population. 

Anyway I'm off to work. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I've received numerous calls this evening from family and friends asking if there is going to be a lock down on Friday enforced by the military. Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle basically all the major cities. 

I dont have time to check. Have peoples heads fell off or is there some truth in it?

One thing that might be in it. Is we might be about to be tested en masse. To get a better understanding how wide spread it is in the population. 

Anyway I'm off to work. 

I doubt if its anything to do with testing as there are not enough tests, or folks to do them, or put them through the labs. Any troop deployments will be to calm any problems at supermarkets, I would think. 

• Like 1

Seems the rumour came from some nutta on Facebook. Around the same time he announced Prince Phillip was dead.

The guy is clearly a loon earlier claiming the virus didn't exist but was a Government lie to control us.

Jason Nota

• Like 2

This is what 14 weeks of home isolation will be like.

Quarantine does strange things to people.

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, skookum said:

Seems the rumour came from some nutta on Facebook. Around the same time he announced Prince Phillip was dead.

The guy is clearly a loon earlier claiming the virus didn't exist but was a Government lie to control us.

Jason Nota

"The Ministry of Defence has put 20,000 troops on standby to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

"As many as 150 troops are learning to drive oxygen tankers to supply hospitals.

"The troops will form part of the new "Covid Support Force"."

UK Mirror: Link

ITV: Link

Edited by Eldorado

On 3/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, Eldorado said:

I never thought I'd ever read that.

I know... but it did remind me of a joke an "old" member here used once:  "An Irishman walks out of a bar"...NO, REALLY!  :w00t:  Courtesy of BECKY'S MOM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Con artists pretending to be Red Cross workers

Glasgow: Link

Council warns of scammers pretending to shop for elderly

Rochdale: Link

Hospital appeals to visitors not to steal hand gel

Clydebank: Link

Grrr.

grrrrrrr... I have NO patience with scum who prey on the weak or fearful during such a time.  They should have a choice of cleaning up after sick people or long term imprisonment with no medical help if they sicken.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Anyway I'm off to work. 

Troops have been called up today.

• Like 3

If anybody is forced to use Universal Credit then good luck.

They need an extra 30,000 staff to take the calls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sweeping emergency powers announced

"UK airports could be shut and people held on public health grounds under emergency powers to tackle coronavirus.

"Police and immigration officials would be able to place people in "appropriate isolation facilities" under plans.

"Patients could be discharged early to make space for the seriously ill while social care could be prioritised for those with the greatest needs."

BBC: Link

Sky News: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Sweeping emergency powers announced

"UK airports could be shut and people held on public health grounds under emergency powers to tackle coronavirus.

"Police and immigration officials would be able to place people in "appropriate isolation facilities" under plans.

"Patients could be discharged early to make space for the seriously ill while social care could be prioritised for those with the greatest needs."

BBC: Link

Its good to see we have a Govt and Prime Minister showing leadership.

• Haha 1

UPDATE on #COVID19 testing in the UK: As of 9am 18 March 2020,

• a total of 56,221 people have been tested:
  • 53,595 negative
  • 2,626 positive (4.9%)
  • yesterdays figure was 103 Dead. (3.9% of the 2,626)
  • The latest confirmed number of deaths will be announced later today.

• Sad 1

"Three die in Scotland - bringing its total to six

"The latest deaths bring the UK's total to 108, as the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 rises to 2,689."

"Parents struggling to find baby formula during the coronavirus outbreak have been issued advice after it emerged it was being sold on eBay for more than £300."

Sky News:Link

Cheerier news:  "Environment Secretary George Eustice tells MPs there is "significant resilience" in Britain's own food supply chain."

Sky: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

Every day there's this little buzz of excitement, isn't there, as Panicky Boris gets ready for another big Message to the Nation. Every day you think "i wonder what it'll be today? Will he finally order us all to remain in our homes, enforced by armed police? Will he close all the shops? What graph will he have been shown today by his Advisors showing him their latest cheerfully apocalyptic worst case scenario?" 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 3:07 AM, stevewinn said:
On 3/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, joc said:

I don't even think it is being 'over played' anymore.  In fact, it may be the case that it is actually being 'under played' to prevent a world wide panic.

Consider this:  In my family...if everyone contracted the disease...who would die?  My mother, probably both of my sisters, probably both of their husbands, maybe my brother, two of my aunts, both of my wife's sisters, probably my wife.  OMG...that is everyone but me!

How do you over play something like that?  This does actually have the potential for wiping out the better part of an entire generation or two.  It's mind boggling.  It isn't just media hype.   

If that where to happen your family would be the first in the world to succumb to the virus in such as way. so an exception to the rule.

Not so much .... 

Three members of NJ family die after getting coronavirus

Edited by joc
  • Sad 1

"The number of people who have died after contracting coronavirus in the UK has risen to 144, the Department of Health has said.

"It comes as the number of confirmed cases rose by 643 to 3,269 on Thursday."

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK