Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

The temporary mortuaries set up at Sunderland Royal Hospital for patients who die from Covid-19

Chronicle Live UK: Link

Temporary mortuary to be set up in Guildford

Surrey Live: Link

Fifteen residents die at single care home in Luton

Daily Record UK: Link

18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Two "despicable" men who licked their hands before wiping them over meat, vegetables and fridge handles in a supermarket are wanted by police.

16 hours ago, Myles said:

If caught, what do you think the penalty will be?

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Six months, I reckon.  (I'd just let the police beat them up some)

@Eldorado

Here in Brum, it's not unusual for idiots like those to accidentally injure themselves falling down the flight of steps outside Thornhill Road Police Station.

Not the best pic, but you can clearly see how dangerous they are.....

Spoiler

img_1586427825506.jpg.dbb394018aa8d0433f141c0ff715ba4a.jpg

;)

Edited by acute
  • Haha 1

How unbelievably, mind-numbingly stupid some people really are:

Coronavirus: Greater Manchester Police warning after 660 parties shut down

"Greater Manchester Police has warned people not to breach lockdown rules over Easter after it had to break up 660 parties last weekend.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said "each and every one of us need take this seriously".

There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties."

Street parties and BOUNCY ******G CASTLES!?

If Mother Nature hits us with such a virulent disease again, she needs to target people based on IQ...

• Haha 4

"A doctor diagnosed with coronavirus has died - three weeks after he warned the prime minister health workers urgently need more PPE.

"Abdul Mabud Chowdhury,53, passed away after 15 days in hospital.

"On March 18, he wrote a message to Boris Johnson asking him to "urgently" ensure personal protective equipment for "each and every NHS worker in the UK"."

Full report at Sky News: Link

"Tributes have been paid to a nurse who has died after it is believed she contracted coronavirus.

"Rebecca Mack, 29, had worked in the children's cancer unit at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary before leaving to take up other roles in the health sector.

"Ms Mack, of Morpeth, Northumberland, died on Sunday."

BBC: Link

"Tributes have been paid to a nurse who has become the first NHS worker in Scotland to die from coronavirus.

"Janice Graham, 58, has been remembered by colleagues past and present for her "kindness and compassion".

"Ms Graham, a health care support worker and district nurse, died at Inverclyde Royal Hospital on Monday."

BBC: Link

Edited by Eldorado

"The UK-wide coronavirus death toll has risen by at least 887 in 24 hours as police chiefs say a "grace period" is over and roadblocks and searches could begin to stop the lockdown-flouting Cov-idiots."

UK Mirror: Link

Around where I live, east of Birmingham, there has been a noticeable increase in traffic since the beginning of the week.  And idiots definitely breaking the speed limit on our local 'main' road which is 30mph, when they do manage it hit it at a quiet time.  Also seen faces we don’t know around, apparently visiting people in houses near us.  My son-in-law (57) is currently in hospital and today showed the first signs of improvement, though he is still so weak he can’t walk, and is still on oxygen.  He has managed to eat a couple of bites for the first time in over a week yesterday.  We are hoping this is the start of his recovery.  Those out there who blatantly flout the lockdown rules (even the one in Manchester who declared they didn’t believe in the coronavirus!) need to know this isn’t some scam to try and infringe people's rights and freedom.  What value is freedom if you are dead?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Around where I live, east of Birmingham, there has been a noticeable increase in traffic since the beginning of the week.  And idiots definitely breaking the speed limit on our local 'main' road which is 30mph, when they do manage it hit it at a quiet time.  Also seen faces we don’t know around, apparently visiting people in houses near us.  My son-in-law (57) is currently in hospital and today showed the first signs of improvement, though he is still so weak he can’t walk, and is still on oxygen.  He has managed to eat a couple of bites for the first time in over a week yesterday.  We are hoping this is the start of his recovery.  Those out there who blatantly flout the lockdown rules (even the one in Manchester who declared they didn’t believe in the coronavirus!) need to know this isn’t some scam to try and infringe people's rights and freedom.  What value is freedom if you are dead?

I've just been watching a Royal Navy Wildcat flying above the main roads around where i live, i got my Binoculars and able to see more detail i could see the side door open and one of the crew armed with a camera.

Are they taking pictures of how much traffic and how many people are out?

I await to see if the local media pick up on it.

• Like 1

"The latest figures were confirmed by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who was speaking at the Downing Street daily briefing.

"He said 243,421 people have been tested for the virus, 65,077 have tested positive, and the number of people admitted to hospital with coronavirus symptoms now stands at 16,784.

""And of those who have contracted the virus, 7,978 have sadly died," Mr Raab said."

Sky News: Link

And ITV News: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised that we are in week 3 of the shutdown. And yet the number of cases are still going up. Okay at a slower rate. But how are these people contracting the virus when we're all meant to be self isolating for the last three weeks. I wonder what percentage of the new cases are keyworkers. And if their not keyworkers how have they caught the virus? 

If new cases don't drop off a cliff in the next two weeks questions will have to be asked. 

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

I'm surprised that we are in week 3 of the shutdown. And yet the number of cases are still going up. Okay at a slower rate. But how are these people contracting the virus when we're all meant to be self isolating for the last three weeks. I wonder what percentage of the new cases are keyworkers. And if their not keyworkers how have they caught the virus? 

It takes up to two weeks for symptoms to show and can be several days for cases to be reflected in the figures. If you caught it the weekend before lockdown, you could have just started coughing on Monday. It then takes several days for the cough to lead to shortness of breath and possibly hospital, which is the first opportunity to be tested. 

So it's not unreasonable that many of the new cases originated before the lockdown, which is why it needs to continue. 

Then of course you do have the key workers, but also the non-key workers still at work, people who've contracted it while shopping for essentials and transmission between carers and those they care for. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, stevewinn said:

Lord Bath what a character. 

On 4/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, Eldorado said:

It must have been dificult for his family to finally pull the plug.

Seriously?  Making a joke about someone who's died?

I never thought you could sink so low.

:whistle:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 1

"Britain suffered another grim day in its coronavirus crisis today as officials recorded another 953 deaths in the home nations, taking the UK's spiralling victim count to 8,931. 

"England recorded 866 new fatalities among infected patients in hospital, while another 87 were today confirmed in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland"

UK Mail: Link

Sky News: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to 73,758 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK
1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

From overseas....

Also useful for protecting parents from projectile vomit. :P

• Haha 1

The daily figures of how many have died are somewhat misleading since most deaths are not recorded in the official statistics for several days.  This is only for England but shows the highest number of deaths - thus far recorded - was 643 on the 4th April.   However, as more data comes in this may change.   Note that there are indications we are at a plateau.  But we should not read too  much into this as this stage.  It will be at least a week, maybe 2, after we hit a peak before we know we have hit it (don't try telling journalists that, it's way beyind their comprehension!)

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/04/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-10-April-2020.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Essan said:

The daily figures of how many have died are somewhat misleading since most deaths are not recorded in the official statistics for several days.  This is only for England but shows the highest number of deaths - thus far recorded - was 643 on the 4th April.

Maybe that's just for hospitals. Here's the official UK totals:

Edited by Eldorado

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Here's the official UK totals:

Aye, that's today's figures on how many have been reported today, but many of the deaths occured days ago - which is why these daily figures are misleading and the data I linked to provided a more accurate figure on daily deaths.   Albeit only for England

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

The daily figures of how many have died are somewhat misleading since most deaths are not recorded in the official statistics for several days.  This is only for England but shows the highest number of deaths - thus far recorded - was 643 on the 4th April.   However, as more data comes in this may change.   Note that there are indications we are at a plateau.  But we should not read too  much into this as this stage.  It will be at least a week, maybe 2, after we hit a peak before we know we have hit it (don't try telling journalists that, it's way beyind their comprehension!)

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/04/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-10-April-2020.xlsx

Exactly this. This needs posting as far and wide as possible. 

Already hearing people say lockdown clearly isn't working because deaths are still going up. 

Those deaths being recorded today most likely contracted the virus before the lockdown. 

Typical progression for a fatal case is (roughly):

Day 0 - Infection 

Day 5 - cough 

Day 7 - fever

Day 10 - shortness of breath 

Day 15- hospitalised

Day 18 - Ventilator 

Day 21 - Death

Day 25-28 - Death reported

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, stevewinn said:

If new cases don't drop off a cliff in the next two weeks questions will have to be asked. 

The answer will be the presumption its caused by too many are flouting the rules.

My concern is this wont be based on data, more like photos submitted to the press that could have been taken at anytime. Photos were released last weekend purported to be in Brighton however when they were published I was working in the area and it was covered in fog.  Yet the pictures they released were a sunny day on a packed beach. 

The latest study shows 90% of Brits are adhering to the rules, the highest in Europe.  That will be interesting fact to remember if we are told that no slowdown is caused by people ignoring the rules.

I think Matt Hancock gave the first hint in yesterdays speech that difficult decisions will need to be made regarding the economy and saving lives.  Like you say if the numbers don't start to fall significantly real questions are going to be asked about the effectiveness of the lockdown.  Sweden's relaxed approach was predicted to be an apocalypse by experts, however the data is suggesting the exact opposite now.

The people I meet daily are starting to ask that question as everyday they are bombarded with more doom and gloom.  

Unbelievably York council has banned all funeral services from its crematorium.  This has stirred up a major backlash.  Imagine losing a child, parent or loved one and not being able to say goodbye.  The experts have already said that social distancing could be maintained at a service and funerals should go ahead all be it with restricted numbers.

Sadly York council has issued a 'no exceptions' statement.

Things like this and the lack of cohesion or joined up thinking will take its toll on public support for a lockdown. These experts seem to think bombarding people with gloom is the way forward.  I personally think it will have the opposite effect in time.

https://www.yorkmix.com/funeral-services-and-mourners-banned-from-york-crematorium-cremations-will-continue/

At the end of this people should FOI their local council.  The way I see it most of them have drastically cut services.  Unbelievably it is still possible for them to furlough staff despite offering little to no concessions on council tax. A number of schools have been making enquiries about the possibility of furloughing teachers even though their funding has not been effected.  The Government guidelines say you should not furlough an employee if they are paid by public funding but it is only guidance and not a firm rejection.  They must already be racking it in by taking money for services they no longer supply.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Essan said:

23 hours ago, Essan said:

Aye, that's today's figures on how many have been reported today, but many of the deaths occured days ago - which is why these daily figures are misleading and the data I linked to provided a more accurate figure on daily deaths.   Albeit only for England

im glad someone else as pointed it out and dare asked the question.

It was on the 9th When the chief medical officer answered a question, in which he answered the daily death figures are not all from that day or the previous 24 hours. "NHS England has announced 866 further deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid-19. Of the new deaths announced today, 117 occurred on 9 April, 720 between 1 April and 8 April, and 29 in March"

It would be best to move to either weekly or perhaps monthly updates or maybe even come back to it in August or the end of year. these daily briefings only started as the media clamoured for them, they love creating hysteria, remember the media where is Boris??? then Boris gets Covid, and the media "how was he allowed to catch it"

We are still below 0.02% of the population who have died. we need to be told how many excess deaths are down to Covid-19. We've shut down a 2.6Trillion economy. put many more lives of patients at risk as resources have been diverted. the cure could in fact be worse than the virus itself.

• Like 1

"The number of coronavirus deaths has risen by 917 to 9,875 across the UK in 24 hours, as NHS medics beg the public to stay home and save lives.

"The youngest victim was an 11-year-old child, Public Health England said.

"There were 823 deaths in England, 47 in Scotland, 15 in Northern Ireland and 32 in Wales.

"NHS England said the patients who died were aged between 11 and 102 years old.

"They said 33 of the 823 patients, aged between 29 and 94 years old, had no known underlying health condition."

At the Mirror UK: Link

Reuters: Link

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

We are still below 0.02% of the population who have died. we need to be told how many excess deaths are down to Covid-19. We've shut down a 2.6Trillion economy. put many more lives of patients at risk as resources have been diverted. the cure could in fact be worse than the virus itself.

Still below 0.02% of the population? Are you sure about that? Is that for the UK or for England?

And even if that were true, what is the point you are trying to make?

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK