Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

2,206 new cases and 35 new deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Royal fans ignore request to stay away from Windsor

As the day went on, hundreds arrived in the sunshine wearing Philip-themed clothing, waving Union flags and holding flowers.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/royal-fans-defy-stay-away-warning-to-pay-tribute-to-philip-in-windsor-40324568.html

• Like 1

People aged over 35 here in Northern Ireland can now get the vaccine.  Does anyone know why we are being offered the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine, yet people aged under 30 will soon be offered an alternative choice of vaccine?  Why do they get a choice, but we don't?  I've heard mixed opinions of the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine.  I had booked an appointment for this Thursday but I cancelled it because there seems to be growing concerns about it, and I'd rather wait and hope that I can select an alternative vaccine in the future rather than taking the first one that is offered.  Does anyone know why under 30's are to be given a choice of vaccine?  That alone makes me cast doubt on getting the current one.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

People aged over 35 here in Northern Ireland can now get the vaccine.  Does anyone know why we are being offered the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine, yet people aged under 30 will soon be offered an alternative choice of vaccine?  Why do they get a choice, but we don't?  I've heard mixed opinions of the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine.  I had booked an appointment for this Thursday but I cancelled it because there seems to be growing concerns about the O-A vaccine, and I'd rather wait and hope that I can select an alternative vaccine in the future rather than taking the first one that is offered.  Does anyone know why under 30's are to be given a choice of vaccine?  That alone makes me cast doubt on getting the current one.

Because any potential risk of abnormal clotting is far more likely in the under 30s, albeit still incredibly unlikely (~11 in a million). The odds of a healthy 25 year old dying of covid are 22 in a million.

For people in their 30s, the first number is lower and the second higher. Take the jab, it's much safer than not.

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Because any potential risk of abnormal clotting is far more likely in the under 30s, albeit still incredibly unlikely (~11 in a million). The odds of a healthy 25 year old dying of covid are 22 in a million.

For people in their 30s, the first number is lower and the second higher. Take the jab, it's much safer than not.

This article had me raise concerns (highlighted bits in red).

bloomberg.png

I want the vaccine, just one that has good PR and fills me with confidence.  I took for granted that the alternatives would be offered, or even for sale, but it appears that the UK will only switch to an alternative after it has used up its current stockpile of AstraZeneca.  I probably will end up getting that one.  Just wish I had a choice.  It's natural to expect the very best on offer.

Edited by TigerBright19

The UK has reported a further 22 coronavirus-related deaths and 2,396 new cases in the latest 24-hour period, according to government figures.

Last Wednesday, 2,491 daily cases were recorded and 38 deaths - suggesting both cases and deaths have fallen slightly.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-reports-another-22-coronavirus-deaths-as-350-000-more-people-have-second-vaccine-dose-12282653

• Like 1

HMS Forth has delivered vaccines to the remote British territory of Tristan da Cunha.

Tristan da Cunha is a remote group of volcanic islands in the south Atlantic Ocean. It is the most remote inhabited archipelago in the world, lying approximately 1,732 miles off the coast of Cape Town in South Africa, 1,514 miles from Saint Helena and 2,487 miles off the coast of the Falkland Islands.

Philip Rushbrook, Governor of Tristan da Cunha, said:

“Very pleased HMS Forth has arrived at Tristan da Cunha with Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine supplies. A big thank you to Royal Navy & many others who completed this logistics challenge so smoothly.”

Deaths at the levels we are seeing now can practically be counted as zero. Because the way we count all covid within 28 days regardless of what the actual cause of death. 

• Like 1

2,064 new cases and 6 new deaths

worldometers

Boris Johnson denies saying he would rather see 'bodies pile high' than have another lockdown

Sky news

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1

Yeah no more lockdowns. 

On 4/26/2021 at 6:36 PM, Eldorado said:

Boris Johnson denies saying he would rather see 'bodies pile high' than have another lockdown

Sky news

He meant 'peasants' piled high, of course. The masses of the Great Unwashed.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2,166 new cases and 29 new deaths

WorldOmeters

NHS app to be used as coronavirus passport for international travel, Grant Shapps confirms

The transport secretary tells Sky News he will soon set out details of which countries have made it on to a "green list".

Sky news

Distrust in the medical industry has led to the lower uptake of the Covid vaccine among Africans in Scotland, according to a human rights campaigner.

Mukami McCrum said "unethical practices" by companies in Africa left many "scared" to take the vaccine.

Public Health Scotland estimates 72% of Africans aged over 50 have had their first jab. Overall uptake is 92%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56916528

2,381 new cases and 15 new deaths

Gov UK

England's R number has risen slightly to between 0.8 and 1.1, latest figures show.

Sky news

Why is Liverpool being used as a test site?

BBC news

Retail and hospitality reopens as Northern Ireland’s Covid lockdown eases

ITV news

"It feels surreal," said DJ Jayda G as clubbers returned to the dance floor for the first time since the pandemic began.

About 3,000 people with negative Covid test results attended the Liverpool event on Friday, part of the government's pilot on mass events.

The clubbers did not have to wear face coverings or social distance for the first time since lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56956244

• Like 1

@Eldorado hope all is well. Not seen since Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May 13th: 2,657 new cases and 11 new deaths

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

Britons vaccinated: Up to and including 12 May 2021

Total — 1st dose

Total — 2nd dose

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Thanks 1